Samburu Larsen's Camp

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:22 PM

Default Samburu Larsen's Camp

Hi all,

as i wrote in a previous topic at the beginning of Marsh 2005 (named
Planned Safari in Kenya), my wife an i have planned a second safari in
Kenya August 2005. Our trip is the following : Baringo/Bogoria -
Samburu/Shaba - Meru National Park.

In Samburu, two nights were initially planned in Samburu Intrepid's
Camp where we already went a few years ago.
Due to overbooking, our travel agency has proposed to replace Samburu
Intreprids by Samburu Larsen's Camp.

Does anybody know this camp ? Can you give me informations about your
experiment there ? Is it really different from Intreprids ?

Thanks for all.

Best regards.

Frederic

Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Dave Patterson

I was last at Larsen's in 2002... went there specifically
to see if I might offer it in my safari itineraries.

It was - frankly - dreadful. Condition of the grounds
and tents was poor. I was surprised.
The standard of the camp, at its best,
does not meet that of Intrepids.

Larsen's is literally right on the river, and has a natural
feel to it. Perhaps improvement and refurbishment have
been done. If so, you would possibly enjoy it.

But you asked how it compares to Intrepids.
Poorly, in terms of amenities and luxury.

As for Intrepids, I have always felt its location in
the far west added time to the game drives that
I would rather do without.

If you can get into Samburu Serena or Samburu Lodge,
though they are not tented, you will be in a location
with features more like you had at Intrepids.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 2 May 2005 08:22:40 -0700, wrote:

In Samburu, two nights were initially planned in Samburu Intrepid's
Camp where we already went a few years ago.
Due to overbooking, our travel agency has proposed to replace Samburu
Intreprids by Samburu Larsen's Camp.

Does anybody know this camp ? Can you give me informations about your
experiment there ? Is it really different from Intreprids ?

Frederic,

I think it depends a lot on your personal preferences. I believe
Larsen's is ideal for elderly people who prefer a stylish
setting over action, sports, and entertainment.

If, however, you are younger and want a swimming pool, Samburu
dancers, and crocodile feeding, I would recommend the
neighboring Samburu Lodge, also sometimes called Samburu Game
Lodge.

The Samburu Serena is also good, but not quite a match of the
other.

The downside for some may be that Samburu Lodge is a bit lower
priced, so you get more middle class clients, but if you're one
of those yourself, you may be able to handle that. (:-)

While I admire the beautiful design of Larsen's, my story is
that I once went there with my family, including two kids who
already knew Samburu Lodge, because Samburu Lodge was allegedly
fully booked. The next morning the kids rebelled and demanded to
move over, because for them, understandingly, that lodge was
utterly boring.

So we went to Samburu Lodge and stayed there for the rest of our
time, forfeiting the slightly higher price. Since both are run
by the same company, Block Hotels & Lodges, (and you can
actually drive over and use the lodge's swimming pool when
you're booked into Larsen's Camp), this involved little
bureaucracy, and as it turned out, Samburu Lodge was by no means
fully booked. I suspect that the booking office only wanted the
higher cut.

I think that was the last time I ever pre-booked any lodge in
Kenya. In May and June you don't really need to book in advance,
if you can bear the slight risk to have to go to another lodge,
if one turns out to be full, and the diminutive risk of having
to spend the night in the jeep when all lodges in one area are
full. This has never happened to me. However, you don't have
that choice when you book a package tour.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM

Dear Dave, Hans-Georg and Jacques

thank you very much for all your information and advice.
I am very happy to read that Larsen's Camp has been completely renewed
by November 2004.
We do not mind about being in a stylish and peaceful place along the
river more suited to old people than children.
Our first choice was to go back to Intrepids in which we spent
delicious time a few years ago despite its relative far situation.

Best regards to all

Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Dave Patterson

It is good news to me that Larsen's has been
renovated. It is in a terrific location.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Fred

Dear Dave, Hans-Georg and Jacques

if i go there in August, i will give you more precise information when
i go back.
if i do not go there, i will also give you some stories about our
safari there.

Best regards