ATA/ I-PHONES

Old October 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default ATA/ I-PHONES

#### DISCLAIMER####
I do not know if this is true or accurate

ATA Tries to Arrest Passenger for Using iPhone in "Airplane Mode"
Posted Oct 12th 2007 11:23AM by Tom Samiljan
Filed under: Audio/Video, Cell Phones, iPhone

Every day, new horror stories are released about some rude TSA or
flight attendant in our nation's airports and skyways. Check out this
latest one, in which a guy on an ATA flight is watching a movie on his
iPhone while it is in its offline "airplane" mode, which means the
cell phone and Wi-Fi radio is turned off, so it's nothing more than a
standard-issue MP3/movie player.

Turns out a mad-with-power flight attendant decides to tell the guy
he's breaking FAA rules, even though Airplane mode was specifically
created to follow those rules. The flight attendant even went so far
as to call the police and not only waste the passenger's time post-
flight, but also humiliate him in front of the entire plane since this
exchange with the authorities took place at the front of the plane
after it landed.

Of course, after some explanations from the passenger and some story-
changing-and-inventing on the part of the flight attendant, the police
laughed off the entire event, because clearly the ATA flight attendant
was not only completely ignorant of both the FAA law and iPhones, but
also a complete, off-his-rocker psycho who should be barred from
flight for inciting stress!

This is just another example of the rude, intimidating, incompetent,
and hostile behavior on the part of everyone from TSA officials at the
security gates to flight attendants ever since 9/11. Sorry, but
terrorist threats and increased security are no excuses for rude
behavior and bad service! We have traveled in many places around the
globe and are treated with respect by airline officials, most recently
in Japan, who politely point out that we have to take our laptops out
of our bags (or whatever) and at least know the rules about in-flight
electronics. (The one exception is London's Heathrow airport, which is
a nightmare of intimidating, inflexible security measures and
officials -- be warned.)

The guy should sue ATA Airlines for distress, and customers across the
country should start flooding ATA's Web site with complaints! That
company is a poor excuse for a budget airline, anyway, particularly
when compared with tech-savvy Virgin America.

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Good Grief! And where have you flown on "tech savvy Virgin America??"

Old October 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_1_]

SO, IF YOU DON'T KNOW IF IT IS TRUE OR NOT, WHY POST IT.
JUST SO YOU CAN BE A JERK! (Caps intended)

Old October 14th, 2007, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

LVTravel wrote:
SO, IF YOU DON'T KNOW IF IT IS TRUE OR NOT, WHY POST IT.
JUST SO YOU CAN BE A JERK! (Caps intended)

Gotta agree there.

Old October 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

sorry you guys,
just didnt have time to confirm the story.
I googled the entry and there it was in print.
Even though it was on a web/blog page I still dont know if its real.
(ie I wasnt there)
No more of a jerk here than the average poster on these
threads...for better or worse.
but thanks for the shout out lol

Old October 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Web ResultsATA Airlines detains passenger for using iPhone in
'airplane...
There may be an airplane mode switch on your mobile phone, but don't
assume your airline cares whether that switch is on or off.

www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9796512-37.html - 46k - Similar pages

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9796512-37.html
I used my iphone on ATA Hilo-Oakland Sept. 21st: r...
I used my iphone on ATA Hilo-Oakland Sept. 21st proadventurer -- Oct
12 2007, 3:42 PM PDT. iPhone and iPod Touch planetboom -- Oct 12 2007,
4:00 PM PDT ...

www.news.com/5208-13579_3-0.html?forumID=... - 35k - Similar pages

[ More results from www.news.com ]

http://www.news.com/5208-13579_3-0.h...652&s tart=-1
Man Detained for Using iPhone on ATA Flight || The iPod Obse...
A man was detained for using his iPhone, in "Airplane Mode," on an ATA
flight to Hawaii, according to the Consumerist. In the air, there were
some heated ...

www.ipodobserver.com/story/33337 - 27k - Similar pages

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/33337
TelExtreme - VOIP ATA Device (Genio Sdn Bhd, Malaysia)
TelExtreme - VOIP ATA Device from Genio Sdn Bhd are sold on Alibaba to
distributors outside of ... Place of Origin: United States, Brand
Name: ATA IPhone ...

www.alibaba.com/catalog/11036717/TelExtreme_VOIP... - 29k - Similar
pages

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11036...TA_Device.html
ATA Tries to Arrest Passenger for Using iPhone in "Airplane ...
Every day, new horror stories are released about some rude TSA or
flight attendant in our nation's airports and skyways. Check out this
latest one,

www.switched.com/2007/10/12/ata-tries-to-arrest-... - 52k - Similar
pages

http://www.switched.com/2007/10/12/a...airplane-mode/
Travel: ATA Tries To Have You Arrested For Using Your iPhone...
So, if you have an iPhone, ATA airlines does not want your business. I
was harassed, embarrassed, and delayed for no reason, other than I own
an iPhone, ...

consumerist.com/consumer/travel/ata-tries-to-hav... - 181k - Similar
pages

http://consumerist.com/consumer/trav...ode-309421.php
Digg - ATA Airlines detains passenger for using iPhone in .....
ATA Airlines detains passenger for using iPhone in 'airplane mode'.
Casey, the iPhone user, told Consumerist that he tried several times
to explain to the ...

digg.com/apple/ATA_Airlines_detains_passenger_fo... - 21k - Similar
pages

http://digg.com/apple/ATA_Airlines_d...irplane_mode_2
ATA Airline Tries to Have Customer Arrested for Using iPhone...
ATA Airline Tries to Have Customer Arrested for Using iPhone in
Airplane Mode. Posted by Joel Johnson, October 12, 2007 6:21 AM |

gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/10/12/ata-airline-tr... - 22k - Similar
pages

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/1...-tries-to.html
ATA airlines tries to arrest a man for using iPhone in 'airp...
A flight attendant for ATA airlines has tried to have a man arrested
for using iPhone even the devise was set in 'airplane mode.' ...

tech.blorge.com/Structu%20/2007/10/13/ata-air... - 44k - Similar
pages

http://tech.blorge.com/Structu%20...mode%E2%80%99/
1iPhone | Voice Over IP
The 1iPhone ATA (Analog Telephone Adaptor) brings traditional
telephones to the ... The 1iPhone ATA supports two voice ports, each
with its own independent ...

https://iphone.nuvio.com/html/index.php?page=voi... - 13k - Similar
pages

https://iphone.nuvio.com/html/index....ge=voice_plans