unable to get seat assignment at Cathay Pacific

Old November 16th, 2007, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AMac

Default unable to get seat assignment at Cathay Pacific

I fly several times a year from SFO to HKG by Cathay Pacific.
I never able to get seat assignments.
Ever if I get to the airport 6 hours ahead of flight, I am always stuck with
terrible seats.

Somebody told me Cathay Pacific insiders give out good choice seats as favor
to friends, and get seat assignments weeks ahead of flight. And sometimes,
even sell choice seats and pocket the money themselves.

Any truth to this corruption practice?

Old November 16th, 2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"AMac" wrote:
I fly several times a year from SFO to HKG by Cathay Pacific.
I never able to get seat assignments. Ever if I get to the airport
6 hours ahead of flight, I am always stuck with terrible seats.
Somebody told me Cathay Pacific insiders give out good choice
seats as favor to friends, and get seat assignments weeks ahead
of flight. And sometimes, even sell choice seats and pocket the
money themselves. Any truth to this corruption practice?

More likely, you're late to the party. You could check in online
48 hours early and select your own seat. Quoting their website:
With Online Check-In, you can:
*Check in for Cathay Pacific flights and any onward flights on
partner carriers 48 hours up to 90 minutes prior to flight departure.
*Select a seat for yourself and your companions.
*Change your seat.

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AMac

"Rog'" wrote in message
"AMac" wrote:
I fly several times a year from SFO to HKG by Cathay Pacific.
I never able to get seat assignments. Ever if I get to the airport
6 hours ahead of flight, I am always stuck with terrible seats.
Somebody told me Cathay Pacific insiders give out good choice
seats as favor to friends, and get seat assignments weeks ahead
of flight. And sometimes, even sell choice seats and pocket the
money themselves. Any truth to this corruption practice?

More likely, you're late to the party. You could check in online
48 hours early and select your own seat. Quoting their website:
With Online Check-In, you can:
*Check in for Cathay Pacific flights and any onward flights on
partner carriers 48 hours up to 90 minutes prior to flight departure.
*Select a seat for yourself and your companions.
*Change your seat.

Forget to say. I got my ticket at Travelocity. How do I do this?

Old November 16th, 2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
AMac wrote:
Forget to say. I got my ticket at Travelocity. How do I do this?

Try checking in on-line with the 6-character record locator that
Travelocity gave you.

Another thing you can try right after you get your ticket is to call
the airline with your 6-character record locator and ask for a seat
assignment.

However, some airlines limit the number of seats available for
assignment in advance, with those who have some level of frequent
flyer status being able to have a greater selection of seats in
advance. You have been collecting frequent flyer miles on your
several times per year flights across the Pacific, right?

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AMac

"Timothy J. Lee" wrote in message
In article ,
AMac wrote:
Forget to say. I got my ticket at Travelocity. How do I do this?

Try checking in on-line with the 6-character record locator that
Travelocity gave you.

Another thing you can try right after you get your ticket is to call
the airline with your 6-character record locator and ask for a seat
assignment.

However, some airlines limit the number of seats available for
assignment in advance, with those who have some level of frequent
flyer status being able to have a greater selection of seats in
advance. You have been collecting frequent flyer miles on your
several times per year flights across the Pacific, right?

Timothy J. Lee

Yes, I collected lots of miles in so call "Asia Miles", not the Marco Polo.
It does seems to offer much.

OK. My fault. Travelocity does not have seat assignments for almost all
international flight. I will avoid Travelocity from now on.

Which internet booking site do you recommend that offer seat assignments for
SFO - HKG?

Thank you.

Old November 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Pro

Which internet booking site do you recommend that offer seat assignments for
SFO - HKG?

Book direct with the Airline you prefer.
These middle men booking sites are often not the best way to go.
Old November 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"AMac" wrote:
"Timothy J. Lee" wrote:
Try checking in on-line with the 6-character record locator
that Travelocity gave you.

The airline's online service should also be able to locate your
itinerary with your flight# + travel date (or other info on your ticket).

OK. My fault. Travelocity does not have seat assignments for
almost all international flights. I will avoid Travelocity from now
on. Which internet booking site do you recommend that offer
seat assignments for SFO - HKG?

It almost always pays dividends to book directly with the airline
unless you are buying a package deal which gives you a discount.
Nonetheless, I always attempt to confirm bookings directly with
the provider to make sure the travel agency did its job.

Old November 16th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
AMac wrote:
Which internet booking site do you recommend that offer seat assignments for
SFO - HKG?

Usually, the airline's own site will give the most access to things like
seat assignments and the like.

However, for international flights, sometimes travel agent sites will offer
lower "consolidator" fares than the airline's own site.

Timothy J. Lee
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

AMac wrote:

I fly several times a year from SFO to HKG by Cathay Pacific.
I never able to get seat assignments.
Ever if I get to the airport 6 hours ahead of flight, I am always stuck with
terrible seats.

Somebody told me Cathay Pacific insiders give out good choice seats as favor
to friends, and get seat assignments weeks ahead of flight. And sometimes,
even sell choice seats and pocket the money themselves.

Any truth to this corruption practice?

No. You just have lousy luck

Old November 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

AMac wrote:

"Rog'" wrote in message

"AMac" wrote:

[...]

Why do you get your ticket from Travelocity instead of from Cathay?