GSM phones

Old June 20th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Ronald Hands

Default GSM phones

I'd like to keep an eye peeled (probably on eBay) for a
modestly-priced unlocked GSM phone suitable for use in France and
Italy. There seems to be a bewildering assortment available.
Can anyone suggest a common model or models (Nokia, perhaps)
that I might look for? I gather that some phones almost require
disassembly to mount the SIM card behind the battery. Surely
there must be some models that allow plugging the card from the
exterior?
Not interested in color screen, super-tiny, built-in camera or
anything of that sort -- just good performance and battery life.
I've read some of the FAQ material on the net, but the ones
I've seen never seem to recommend particular models, probably
because they change so rapidly.
Any help appreciated.

-- Ron
Hamilton, ON
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:30 AM
Alec

"Ronald Hands" wrote in message
news
I'd like to keep an eye peeled (probably on eBay) for a
modestly-priced unlocked GSM phone suitable for use in France and
Italy. There seems to be a bewildering assortment available.
Can anyone suggest a common model or models (Nokia, perhaps)
that I might look for? I gather that some phones almost require
disassembly to mount the SIM card behind the battery. Surely
there must be some models that allow plugging the card from the
exterior?
Not interested in color screen, super-tiny, built-in camera or
anything of that sort -- just good performance and battery life.
I've read some of the FAQ material on the net, but the ones
I've seen never seem to recommend particular models, probably
because they change so rapidly.
Any help appreciated.

Of the current Nokia, I'd suggest 1100, 3200, 3510, 3410 and 3100. Also
superseded 3210 and 3310 are good and easy to use. I've used almost all of
them and they have similar key combinations. All require sim to be inserted
under the battery, but it's quite straightforward. I particularly like 3100
as it's light, small and has easy interface.

Alec

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:25 AM
A Mate

Ron,
All gsm phones require you to remove the battery to fit a sim. It's no
hassle - if you can fit a battery to a flashlight - you'll be OK!

I bought a triband phone from e-bay last year, specifically to use in Canada
(Fido - no service in Kingston, a city of 300,000 - unbelievable, but I
digress :-)) - bought a Motorola - and continue to use it at home (in
Australia) instead of the Nokia I also own. Motorola seems robust - and is
comfortable (intuitive) to use.

We actually used our Motorola in Canada, Ireland, Italy and Turkey - buying
a new sim in each country. We used a callback service to call Australia, it
proved very cheap. There are several (all based in the US) which a Google
will reveal.

We used:
http://www.callbackworld.com

Good Luck

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:57 AM
Ronald Hands

A Mate wrote:

All gsm phones require you to remove the battery to fit a sim. It's no
hassle - if you can fit a battery to a flashlight - you'll be OK!

Okay, thanks for the info. Somehow thought it should be like
my Palm or digital camera, where the memory card slides in from
the exterior.

I bought a triband phone from e-bay last year, specifically to use in Canada
(Fido - no service in Kingston, a city of 300,000 - unbelievable, but I
digress :-))

Yes, that is unbelievable. My (CDSM) phone is a Motorola 120c
on Bell Mobility. Dunno if it works in Kingston, though.
Which Motorola GSM did you buy, if I may ask? The V66 looks
tempting.
Thanks for the tip on the callback service.

-- Ron
Hamilton, ON

Old June 21st, 2004, 04:20 AM
Donald Newcomb

Ronald Hands wrote in message ...
Can anyone suggest a common model or models (Nokia, perhaps)
that I might look for? I gather that some phones almost require
disassembly to mount the SIM card behind the battery. Surely
there must be some models that allow plugging the card from the
exterior?

Not for a long time. If you consider taking the battery off to be
"disassembly", there's not much advice I can offer. The key is that
you need both 900 MHz and 1800 MHz for the best service in Europe. A
tri-band is handy to help keep your account alive from the USA.

I own three tri-band phones. In order of age: Motorola L7089, Ericsson
R520 and T68i. Of these I like the T68i best but it also has the worst
RF performance. You should be able to get an L7089 for about $35 on
eBay and I paid about $70 for the T68i. Whatever you get, it must be
"unlocked" and you want a multi-voltage charger.

Suggest you check out http://nordicgroup.us/intlrate and
http://www.prepaidgsm.net

Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:22 AM
Andreas H. Zappel

"A Mate" wrote:

All gsm phones require you to remove the battery to fit a sim. It's no

No, I've here a Motorola V66, where the SIM is placed under a cover on
the top of the phone.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas

Old June 21st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Mike @ www.zd8i.net

Ronald Hands wrote:

I'd like to keep an eye peeled (probably on eBay) for a
modestly-priced unlocked GSM phone suitable for use in France and
Italy. There seems to be a bewildering assortment available.

Pity you aren't going to Spain !

I have an unlocked Nokia 3410 in mint condition that is
on the Spanish Amena network. It has over 8 euros credit
remaining on it which does not expire until early in 2005.

The phone is only a couple of months old, is boxed with
user manual, carrying case, 230v and 12v chargers.

Any offers anybody ? (I'm in the UK).

--

Mike, G4LTI
QSL manager for ZD8I
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:35 AM
A Mate

Ron,
I have a Motorola L series +.
I would advise that you buy a sim after arrival in Europe. You can buy them
for delivery before youeave home, but at a price multiple of 2 or 3 times
the incountry cost.
If you use a callback service - you obviously won't know your number until
you get the sim - you can register your new sim phone number per a public
phone, or over the internet (using an internet cafe - and they're common).
Remember you are not charged for incoming calls on a mobile phone in Europe
(or anywhere much outside of North America) - another factor in favour of
callback. I shouldn't worry about sensitivity either. The gsm signal for
major networks is strong everywhere in Europe (for Turkcell - even on the
high Anatolian steppes near Divrigi, really in the backblocks).
Lastly - your new phone must not be sim locked (most sold on e-bay are not).

Cheers

Old June 21st, 2004, 08:27 AM
szozu

"Ronald Hands" wrote in message
news
I'd like to keep an eye peeled (probably on eBay) for a
modestly-priced unlocked GSM phone suitable for use in France and
Italy. There seems to be a bewildering assortment available.
Can anyone suggest a common model or models (Nokia, perhaps)
that I might look for? I gather that some phones almost require
disassembly to mount the SIM card behind the battery. Surely
there must be some models that allow plugging the card from the
exterior?

Basic Alcatel phones can be found for a good price in France.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Alcatel_Mobile-Phones_2.htm

Lana

Old June 21st, 2004, 09:04 AM
Jeroen Wijnands

Ronald Hands wrote:

I'd like to keep an eye peeled (probably on eBay) for a
modestly-priced unlocked GSM phone suitable for use in France and
Italy. There seems to be a bewildering assortment available.
Can anyone suggest a common model or models (Nokia, perhaps)
that I might look for? I gather that some phones almost require
disassembly to mount the SIM card behind the battery. Surely
there must be some models that allow plugging the card from the
exterior?
Not interested in color screen, super-tiny, built-in camera or
anything of that sort -- just good performance and battery life.
I've read some of the FAQ material on the net, but the ones
I've seen never seem to recommend particular models, probably
because they change so rapidly.
Any help appreciated.

-- Ron
Hamilton, ON

The Nokia 6150 is a very decent phone, has about a week standby on a
normal battery and is rather robust. Givven it's age it shouldn't be too
expensive anymore. It's also quite easily unlocked.

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands