Hazyview safety?

Old June 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Africa Bound

Default Hazyview safety?

How safe is Hazyview? I've read some articles that say completely
avoid it and not even to drive through it?

However, I've seen a lot of nice places to stay in the area and it
seems really convenient to everything. We are looking at staying in
Kiepersol for a couple of nights, but are unsure about the area.

Old June 30th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Dave Patterson

I suspect that there are dozens of travelers staying around
Hazyview tonight. And tomorrow night. And many nights
to come. It's a pretty area with a couple of awful incidents
that taint its reputation. Just like the places we all live. I don't
know how firm your plans are, but here are some other
places you might consider.
http://www.safarinow.com/destinations/Hazyview/hub.aspx

Old June 30th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Corné

"Africa Bound" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
How safe is Hazyview? I've read some articles that say completely
avoid it and not even to drive through it?

However, I've seen a lot of nice places to stay in the area and it
seems really convenient to everything. We are looking at staying in
Kiepersol for a couple of nights, but are unsure about the area.

No worries, Kiepersol lies outsight of Hazyview.
I'm curious though which articles you have read? Hazyview is a safe place,
at least during day. But at night I would recommend the use of a car (taxi).

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old July 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Marc Lurie

On 29 Jun 2005 11:16:41 -0700, "Africa Bound"
wrote:

How safe is Hazyview? I've read some articles that say completely
avoid it and not even to drive through it?

In my opinion, this is absolutely mindless fear-mongering. The same
sort of brainless rubbish that gets touted about Johannesburg. Sure,
any place can be dangerous - you could be mugged in broad daylight in
Zurich or Singapore or Brussels - and millions of people travel to
Johannesburg and Hazyview every year and they have no problems.

Logically though, if Hazyview were the seething pit of hell that these
articles describe, why on earth would anybody stay there? I've
travelled through there many times (admittedly I've never stayerd
there), and I've never had any sense that the place was any more, or
any less, dangerous than the surrounding area.

Marc
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Liz

wrote:

How safe is Hazyview? I've read some articles that say completely
avoid it and not even to drive through it?

In my opinion, this is absolutely mindless fear-mongering. The same
sort of brainless rubbish that gets touted about Johannesburg. Sure,
any place can be dangerous - you could be mugged in broad daylight in
Zurich or Singapore or Brussels - and millions of people travel to
Johannesburg and Hazyview every year and they have no problems.

After my first few trips to Kenya, I happened to find the US advisory
about Kenya and honestly, no-one would ever go there if they read what
was written there. So I clicked onto Britain, and if I'd believed that
I'd have been rushing to get a one-way ticket out!

Hopefully, it's now been rewritten to say 'mostly harmless'.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos