Land of spacious skies: Bodrum

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

Default Land of spacious skies: Bodrum

[See more at http://turkradio.us/bodrum/ ]

x0x Land of spacious skies Bodrum

By TANSEL TUZEL

Bodrum has a seductive beauty. Just when you think
you've come only for a holiday, you suddenly find
yourself packing up and moving to one of its coves.

It has a music all its own... Bodrum, a magnificent
patch of earth no words can describe, so beautiful are
its colors, its scent, its texture. The refreshing sea
breeze has just the divine dose of humidity to temper
the summer's most merciless heat. The endless blue
coves envelop you in silence against the center's
madding crowd... The blue that takes on a different hue
at every step, drawing you in, and as you plunge,
enfolds you in another world. Even if you visit Bodrum
only once, your dreams will be forever coloured by its
deep blues, its dazzling whites and the varied hues of
its bougainvillea. With its charming narrow streets,
houses decked with flowers, its olive trees, its castle
and museums that house some of the wonders of the
world, its monumental tomb and ancient theatre, its
bars, taverns, cafes and restaurants, its street
artists, and its goulets and yachts, Bodrum greets
every season with gaiety.

ALL DAY ALL NIGHT...

Proud of its prodigal share of Aegean beauty, Bodrum
offers visitors a unique atmosphere day and night.
Boats by the tens depart daily from the harbour for
those who can't sit still. For those not content to
waste the night's warmth on the beach, Bodrum-built
goulets offer a wide range of entertainment to rival
the thousand and one nights. The variety of music and
jazz is endless.

Minibuses operate day and night to serve those seeking
refuge in the outlying coves. Almost every boat leaving
Bodrum includes on its itinerary such stops as Ada
BoGaz, Gumbet, Kargi, Yaliciftlik, Akyarlar, Gumusluk,
Ortakent, Yalikavak, Bagla, Gundogan, Torba, Bardakci,
Kadikalesi, Turgutreis, Bitez, Karaincir and
Golturkbuku.

LAND OF ENDLESS BLUE

For those who find Bodrum a little too hectic, Golkoy
and Turkbuku are recommended. Formerly two villages,
these have now been incorporated into one municipality
known as Golturkbuku.

Nestled in the hills on the west of the bay, Turkbuku
cove forms a natural harbour, while Golkoy at the end
of the bay is situated in a lush green valley. Its long
smooth beach and tiny pensions and restaurants never
empty for a minute day or night. Only 2 km from Bodrum,
Gumbet owes its name to its rain-water cisterns covered
by white domes or `gumbet's. The coast is shallow here,
keeping visitors cool on even the hottest days. And the
surfing and water skiing are ideal for casting off
stress. A ten-minute walk towards the bay northeast of
Gumusluk, where the finest fish can be eaten, will
bring you to a submerged wall, fallen into the water
from the edge of one of the slopes. Those who come here
by boat will want to anchor near the island to the east
of the entrance to avoid colliding with the underwater
ruins. A handful of small but comfortable hotels
welcome guests along the shore at Gundogan, once a
famous fishing village. An old Greek church stands on
the slopes of Kucuktavsan Adasi (Little Rabbit Island)
just opposite the bay. Torba, situated in a protected
cove at the northeastern tip of the peninsula, is a
favorite for its tranquility and convenient transport
to Bodrum.

The bay of Bardakci, which lies just outside Bodrum
harbour, is a stop for the daily local boats, its
marina being only a one-minute walk over the hill from
Gumbet. Together with Ortakent, Bitez with its wide
beach is the peninsula's chief citrus-growing area.

`BLUE EXILE'

Having captured the attention of untold numbers of
people throughout history, Bodrum with its countless
opportunities for rest and recreation is a place where
many holidaymakers dream of coming back to stay. After
nurturing such famous figures as the historian
Herodotus, history's first woman admiral, Artemisia I,
and the equally successful Artemisia II, and artists
such as Leachares and Shepas, several millennia later
Bodrum welcomed the Turkish writer Cevat Sakir
Kabaagacli. Originally sent here in exile, Sakir's name
was gradually forgotten and he became known simply as
Halicarnassus Balikcisi, the Fisherman of
Halicarnassus.

Despite being sent here against his will, Cevat Sakir
described his town of exile as `a place to live in lux
perpetua'. Together with Turkish writers Sabahattin
Eyuboglu, Azra Erhat and others, the Fisherman of
Halicarnassus also launched the now-famous `Blue
Cruises' that start from Bodrum.

A 5000-YEAR HISTORY

The appeal of Bodrum, described by Homer as `the land
of eternal blue', is of course not unique to our day.
Findings from the Chalcolithic Age recovered in Peynir
Cicegi Cavern, the oldest settlement on the peninsula,
prove that these lands have a past going back 5000
years. Bodrum, or Halicarnassus as it was known in
antiquity, is thought to have been founded by the
Carians in the 11th century B.C. Herodotus, `the father
of history', writes that Halicarnassus in the 7th
century B.C. was a member of the Hexapolis, a union of
six cities. Enduring countless attacks by invaders from
the Aegean islands over the ages,

Bodrum became a perennially popular capital with
peoples eager to dominate the Mediterranean. After
coming in turn under the rule of the Persians, the
Macedonians, the Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the
Turkish principality of Mentese, Bodrum finally fell to
the Knights of St John, who built its famous fortress.
Constructed between 1406 and 1523, the castle houses a
Museum of Underwater Archaeology today.

In his campaign against Rhodes in 1522, Sultan Suleyman
the Magnificent, who turned the Mediterranean into an
Ottoman lake, added not only the island but Bodrum as
well to the Ottoman realm.

ONE OF THE SEVEN WONDERS OF THE ANCIENT WORLD The story
of the Mausoleum, regarded as one of the `Seven Wonders
of the World', begins with the construction of
Halicarnassus as the capital of the Carian region by
the Carian Satrap Mausolus. After the death of
Mausolus, who had required his people to live in the
three great cities of Halicarnassus, Myndos and
Theangela,

his wife Artemisia II came to the throne and had this
monumental tomb built to keep her husband's memory
alive forever. Only the gravestone and a levelled ruin
can be seen today at the Mausoleum, which has been
converted into a museum, while the flawless sculptures
and reliefs of antiquity are displayed in plaster
replicas.

Another of Bodrum's historic treasures is the ancient
theatre from the 4th century B.C., situated to the
north of the ancient city of Halicarnassus. Brought
back to life in a restoration, this magnificent
structure exhibits all the features of pre-imperial
Roman theatre construction.

Like no other place on earth, Bodrum poses the constant
danger of making you want to stay forever amidst its
unparalleled natural beauty and the lingering traces of
historical figures down the ages. At the very least
those who come here will dream of `living in perpetual
light'.

Old May 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

Never mind for the spam, but if you at least wrote where "Bodrum"
lies...
--

Alfred Molon
http://www.molon.de - 7000 photos of Asia, Africa and Europe
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

What a bloody hypocrite you are. If you want to find out where Bodrum is do
a search or look it up in your atlas. Or haven't you heard what an atlas is?

But of course, as the British saying goes: "We are here only for the beer!"
and YOU are here only to advertise your web page.

And I am here to advertise my delightful testicles. Wanna taste them?
--
choro-nik
********

Old May 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

"T. R. H." wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I'm sure that's the ad copy I wrote for Torquay about 50 years ago?

Surreyman

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

In article , choro-
says...
What a bloody hypocrite you are. If you want to find out where Bodrum is do
a search or look it up in your atlas. Or haven't you heard what an atlas is?

But of course, as the British saying goes: "We are here only for the beer!"
and YOU are here only to advertise your web page.

And I am here to advertise my delightful testicles. Wanna taste them?

What a rude reply. You are obviously new to rec.travel.asia, aren't you?
Check my posting history in rec.travel.asia:
http://tinyurl.com/kllsg

Most of the time I reply to questions to people who travel to Asia.
The site itself is a useful information resource for people who travel
to Asia (and other countries as well). Have a look at the travelogues
page, which contains very detailed travel information:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/

Old May 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

"Danka" but I replied to you via sct. But promise to visit your site soon.
Noticed the terra cota army there. Nice work. Am actually interested in
photography.

It's just that I am in a naughty mood today and would like to pull a leg or
two. You don't mind, do you?
--
choro-nik
********

Old May 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:16:08 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , choro-
says...
What a bloody hypocrite you are. If you want to find out where Bodrum is
do
a search or look it up in your atlas. Or haven't you heard what an atlas
is?

But of course, as the British saying goes: "We are here only for the
beer!"
and YOU are here only to advertise your web page.

And I am here to advertise my delightful testicles. Wanna taste them?

What a rude reply.

And odd too. Personally I wouldn't put my testicles too near to
someone I just insulted.

And you might even be right!!! I must take note of your advice.;-)))))))
--
choro-nik
********

--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.turkish,rec.travel.asia

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:16:08 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , choro-
says...