Cairns and Barrier Reef

Old February 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

Default Cairns and Barrier Reef

Hi All

One of the few spots I haven't been in Oz is Cairns and
surrounds. I'm finally going to visit for about a week in
June. I'd appreciate advice on places to go, things to see.
I've done a little research already. We'll probably stay
three nights in Cairns then rent a car and wander towards
the Atherton tablelands or the Daintreee or both.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on Barrier Reef day
trips from Cairns?

I've just turned 60 - so I won't be deep sea diving or doing
lots of walking. A little snorkelling may be OK.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
just us

Hi Alan, we live on the Atherton Tableland so are probably a little biased
but I would not spend too long around Cairns unless you like to
shop/tourists/traffic/resorts and the bustle of a small city just like any
other in Australia.

The Tablelands are beautiful, in June it will be cold nights, blue sky days,
green rolling hills, abundant water everywhere, no traffic lights etc etc
etc

Old February 28th, 2007, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:02:04 +1000, "just us"
wrote:

Hi Alan, we live on the Atherton Tableland so are probably a little biased
but I would not spend too long around Cairns unless you like to
shop/tourists/traffic/resorts and the bustle of a small city just like any
other in Australia.

The Tablelands are beautiful, in June it will be cold nights, blue sky days,
green rolling hills, abundant water everywhere, no traffic lights etc etc
etc

Thanks. Our intent is to use Cairns as a base for a Barrier
Reef tour, then we'll probably drive out your way and also
up towards Daintree. What are the "must-sees" on the
Atherton and where would you stay for two nights that would
be a central point for touring by car?

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
just us

Where to stay up here would depend on your budget, there are some wonderful
B and Bs around. Yungaburra is a quaint sort of place which is not too
touristy but has some terrific accomodation.
http://www.tablelands.org/yungaburra.html but there are a lot of great
places to stay. If you wanted a taste of the outback up here, go to
Chillagoe for a night, stay in the Post Office Pub and share a yarn with the
locals and John the publican.
There is so much to do in this area, and so different to the tourist mecca
of Cairns, do some research and enjoy paradise
Kathy.

Old March 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 18:17:16 +1000, "just us"
wrote:

Where to stay up here would depend on your budget, there are some wonderful
B and Bs around. Yungaburra is a quaint sort of place which is not too
touristy but has some terrific accomodation.
http://www.tablelands.org/yungaburra.html but there are a lot of great
places to stay. If you wanted a taste of the outback up here, go to
Chillagoe for a night, stay in the Post Office Pub and share a yarn with the
locals and John the publican.
There is so much to do in this area, and so different to the tourist mecca
of Cairns, do some research and enjoy paradise
Kathy.

Thanks, will check it out.
Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
congokid

In article , Alan S
writes
Hi All

One of the few spots I haven't been in Oz is Cairns and
surrounds. I'm finally going to visit for about a week in
June. I'd appreciate advice on places to go, things to see.
I've done a little research already. We'll probably stay
three nights in Cairns then rent a car and wander towards
the Atherton tablelands or the Daintreee or both.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on Barrier Reef day
trips from Cairns?

Last May I flew to Cairns from Canberra and then drove up to Port
Douglas. I did the Skyrail up to Kuranda one day, and Rainforest Habitat
another. I had booked a trip to do some snorkelling on the reef, but the
weather was too bad that day for boats to go out.

Useful links:
http://www.rainforesthabitat.com.au/
http://www.skyrail.com.au/

some great restaurants in Port Douglas:
http://www.zincportdouglas.com/
http://www.nautilus-restaurant.com.au/
http://www.portdouglasseafood.com/

for other info on Port Douglas
http://www.portdouglasinfo.com/
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:57:14 +0000, congokid
wrote:

[...]

Thanks - more to read:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia