Wheelchair Accessible Public Transportation

Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:31 AM
Wheels

Default Wheelchair Accessible Public Transportation

I am planning a trip up the East Coast from Sydney to Port Douglas
making several stops along the way at the most of popular spots. I
have a power wheelchair that weighs 250 pounds.

I'm going by train because the major bus companies are too cheap to buy
a few lift-equipped reservable buses. The government finally put a
gun to their heads this year to force them to bring their fleet into
the 21st century, but is giving them 10-15 years before pulling the
trigger.

An example of the type of information I'm look for is:
Getting from the train station in Coffs Harbour to the local YHA, the
beaches, Dorrigo Nat'l Park and the Big Banana.

Extensive searching on the web will tell my what the accessible
facilities at each of those places, but not how I can get there.
For the most part email are either negative or not returned.

I only have 5 weeks left to put it all together and I find I'm just
spinning my wheels (no pun intended).

Any transportation-specific information or suggestions of good
fee-based travel agents specializing in travel for the disabled would
be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:41 AM
Geoff Lillico