Kenya - how much can you cram into a one week trip?

Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Simon Laub

Default Kenya - how much can you cram into a one week trip?

Hi,

It has been said before, but I dont mind repeating it :-) - you seem
like a helpful bunch in this group! And most of my questions have been
answered in other threads, but still I have some additional questions
concerning a Kenya trip that I am sure some of you will be able to give some
helpful advice on. So here I go :-)

I am going to Kenya in december and will have app. 7 days to spend doing
tourist stuff. Obviously it will not be a problem to spend this time, but I
will been very happy for suggestions on what will the best way to spend this
time on a somewhat limited budget.

Both Safari, (gorilla) tracking and mountain trekking etc. seems very
interesting - but given the limitations in time I suppose something has to
give. And perhaps something else would actually be just as interesting?

I imagine some sort of Safari is a must? And that both a Masai Mara trip or
a Serengeti trip into Tanzania will be available from Nairobi. Looking at
some of the agencies offerings - a 3 to 4 day trip seems reasonable? Any
comments?

More ambitious - I have been looking at Gorilla tracking expeditions in
Uganda:
http://www.uwa.or.ug/

http://www.uwa.or.ug/gorilla.html

http://www.uwa.or.ug/bwindi.html

Is that realistic in the given timeframe - or/ and is that something you
would normally only do on a much longer trip?

Reading websites on Kenya I cant really get an easy handle on treks around
Mt. Kenya and Mt. Kilimanjaro. Often one reads something about 5 or 6 day
treks for each mountain. But does shorter trips make sense - and what would
be a good introduction?

Starting in Nairobi I find the net crowded with horror stories from Nairobi.
People afraid of stopping at (the few) stoplights in the city because of
carjackings? What is the truth here? Is this a city to avoid as much as
possible - or are the rumors somewhat exaggerated?

yours sincerely
-Simon

Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:20 PM
Jan

More ambitious - I have been looking at Gorilla tracking expeditions
in Uganda:
http://www.uwa.or.ug/

http://www.uwa.or.ug/gorilla.html

http://www.uwa.or.ug/bwindi.html

Is that realistic in the given timeframe - or/ and is that something
you would normally only do on a much longer trip?

If that's your *priority*, i.e. it might be your only trip to Africa
(don't even think about betting on it!) and you really want to see
gorillas, than it's realistic. The last time I was in Kenya ('02) you
could apparently arrange a gorilla trek from the tour desk in Nairobi
hotels (craftily, they gave a price "not including permits", but
without an indication of what the permits would cost, which was quite
naughty, I thought!

There are only so many gorilla permits per day. I don't know how
likely they are to be full up in December: they usually advise you to
book well in advance. Friends who went one July said that people on
another tour thought they had permits for two consecutive days. It
turned out they only had one, and the permits for the second day were
sold out so they just had to 'hang around the camp' for the morning,
pretty miffed.

The price of the permits has gone up last year :
For Uganda it is now $360.
In Rwanda a permit is now $375.
For both visits you may have to add the cost of a visa (Uganda : $30,
Rwanda : $60).
You will also spend at least day travelling to Uganda/Rwanda and back. So
it will take at least 3 days. The road to Bwindi in Uganda is not very
good, so I think going to Rwanda is may be easier (may be flying from
Nairobi to Kigali). The main roads in Rwanda are in very good condition.

I visited Uganda+Rwanda last year in an organised tour. The travel
company has more detailed informat on their website
(http://www.gorillatours.com).

Jan