Security at LAS

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Default Security at LAS

"Howard Long" wrote:

Agreed. Although if you travel FC there is an express lane to the C and D
gates - still has ten or fifteen minutes' delay on it though. They really
have not figured out their security at all at LAS.

What's really a bummer is that although the line for D is the worst (with crowds
back beyond bag claim), they send the overflow through the C security gates, so
that makes C back up as well.
Old March 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM
LIGHT THE ICE

From
there, you're on a train to the D gates.

Can someone tell me if this is an underground train at Las Vegas airport or a
monorail type, like they have at MCO.
Thank you
Old March 20th, 2004, 07:02 AM
mtravelkay

LIGHT THE ICE wrote:

From
there, you're on a train to the D gates.

Can someone tell me if this is an underground train at Las Vegas airport or a
monorail type, like they have at MCO.
Thank you

It goes above and below ground.
FWIW, monorail has to do with the number of rails, not whether it goes
over the ground or under it. Elevated multi rail trains are common in
several large cities. Monorails can also be underground, see:
http://www.subways.net/china/chongqing.htm

Old March 20th, 2004, 07:53 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old March 20th, 2004, 08:07 AM
mtravelkay

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

It does both. The C gates (up to C23) use the trains, and are
above level. All D gate trains are above, then go into a tunnel to the
building. From there, it's one floor up to the actual concourse. See
http://www.mccarran.com or http://www.las.aero for more info.

Interesting site (las.aero).. Passenger number were up 13 percent last
month over 2003.

Old March 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Steve

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
I've never flown into Las Vegas before. Does anyone have any idea how

long
can it take to clear secuirty on a Sunday morning? Is there an elite

line?
I don't yet have my elite card from United (they just matched my status),
but I've got a letter from them confirming my status and, I assume, it

would
appear on my boarding pass. Is there an elite line I can use?

Thanks!

Unless you're flying FC -- arrive early and get through security and to the
gate. Last time in LAS the lines to the D gates (where UA/AA/NW/etc,
operate) were flowing across the baggage claim area and out to ticketing.
According to what I heard from staff at the HP lounge, D security lines have
gone to the 3-4 hr mark on peak days/times. On a Sunday morning, I'd give
the line and train at least 2 hours to be safe. LAS is a *mess* these days
when it comes to security, especially down at the D concourse.

With the D concourse there are the long security lines plus you have to take
a train.. and then make the hike to your gate. First time through the new D
concourse a few weeks ago -- looks nice, but security is a real mess.

Even though I was flying NWA to/from LAS and likely would of been upgraded,
I purposely purchased a (discounted) FC ticket to avoid the security zoo.
Made it though in less than 10 minutes, as they do have a special First
Class security line in the D concourse. For awhile they were letting top
elites use the FC line and were stamping Y tix of economy pax "First Class",
but have since stopped the practice as the TSA wasn't happy from what I
heard.

If you can upgrade or see your way to F, I would personally do it at all
(reasonable) costs. You can always see if a kind agent will stamp your
boarding pass First Class (even if it is a Y ticket) and take your chances
at the FC line; however, I've heard that isn't working any more.

Best,

Steve

P.S. I'm finding many carriers are offering discount FC advance purchase, 7
day excursion fares in/out of LAS. When I bought my ticket for my last LAS
trip, discounted FC was only $150 more than a low bucket Y class ticket
($350 vs $500).

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
PTRAVEL

"Steve" wrote in message

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
[...]

I'm on TED, which doesn't have F. Will the F line honor elite status?

With the D concourse there are the long security lines plus you have to

take
a train.. and then make the hike to your gate. First time through the new

concourse a few weeks ago -- looks nice, but security is a real mess.

Even though I was flying NWA to/from LAS and likely would of been

upgraded,
I purposely purchased a (discounted) FC ticket to avoid the security zoo.
Made it though in less than 10 minutes, as they do have a special First
Class security line in the D concourse. For awhile they were letting top
elites use the FC line and were stamping Y tix of economy pax "First

Class",
but have since stopped the practice as the TSA wasn't happy from what I
heard.

Ugh. You're kidding! That's not right at all -- you can do that at any
airport in the US which has a preferred line.

If you can upgrade or see your way to F, I would personally do it at all
(reasonable) costs. You can always see if a kind agent will stamp your
boarding pass First Class (even if it is a Y ticket) and take your chances
at the FC line; however, I've heard that isn't working any more.

I'll ask when I check in.

Thanks!

Old March 29th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Steve

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
[...]

There was a thread on FlyerTalk about the FC line at LAS. Apparently when
they first put it up, the airport chose the wording "First Class", but
allowed elite (generally 50k +) to use it, similar to other airport priority
lines. However, according to an airline agent at LAS, they are now
restricting it to First Class passengers only. Unlike signage at other
airports, this sign just states "First Class"; it doesn't say "First Class
and Gold/Platintum or Premier Exec/1k members".

I think that's B.S. and that top tier elites should have access as they do
at other airports. Besides, not all flights have a First Class cabin such
as flights on regional jets, or in your case, TED.

Best of luck!

Steve

P.S. I understand they're working on additional security lanes, but they
won't be ready anytime soon.

P.P.S. It seems to me the TSA at LAS works slower than the TSA at other
airports -- that was just my impression, but the security situation is a
bloody disaster with the long queues.