Royal Palm Vacations Incentives

Old November 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.marketplace
sengsational

Default Royal Palm Vacations Incentives

Here's the text of the post card I got in the mail. DO NOT RESPOND TO
THE OFFER. IT IS A RIP-OFF! I post this here so when people search,
they will get the scoop, which follows this text:

================================================== ==============================
[FRONT: (picture of Carnival ship with name photoshopped out)]
Complimentary 5 day cruise Presented by: World Vacations

Important Notice: This cruise certificate has been issued by World
Vacations, a licensed seller of travel. World Vacations is not
affiliated with, nor and agen of Carnival Cruise Lines, and is solely
responsible for this offer.

[BACK:]
WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT YOU! (THIS IS NOT A TIMESHARE OR LAND
SALE OFFER)

TOLL FREE 1-888-319-4322

Congratulations and pack your bags! In celebration of our Grand
Opening in your area you have been selected to receive a complimentary
cruise for two (2) for five (5) days and four (4) nights. All meals,
on board activities, and entertainment are included. There are over 4
different ports of departure and many destinations to choose from.
Retail value up to $1,400. Call immediately, this offer expires in 14
days. CALL NOW!

Call within 48 hours and receive a $40 Gas Voucher

(Carnival Logo) Carnival

CRUISE ITINERARY
PRESENTED BY:
WORLD VACATIONS
[fake itinerary data omitted]
[below is what is says in 4 point type]
Details of participation: No purchase necessary. Appointments are
required. Must have a minimum household income of $40,000 per year,
or retired. This offer is specifically designed for married or
cohabiting persons 28-72 years of age. If married, cohabitating or
engaged, both individuals must attend together. Some restrictions
apply on travel for cruise for two. Gift recipient is responsible for
taxes and port fees. This promotion is in no way affiliated with the
cruise lines listed. Registered with the State of Florida as a Seller
fo Travel. Liability for typographical errors is limited to the
replacement of the promotional piece. We reserve the right to
substitute gifts. You mus present confirmation number upon arrival at
our showroom. This offer is not valid in states where prohibited.

RES# 1605 CONFIRM 6301 SECURED 012.
================================================== ==============================

HERE IS WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT "WORLD TRAVEL":

The pitch was for "Royal Palms Vacations", supposedly started in 1994
and supposedly has 18,000 members.
The base offer is $7700 one time fee and $250/yr, which enables you to
stay at resorts for about half price. In order to get this "deal",
you need to book far in advance. By the end of the pitch, they've got
a reduced package for sale for $69/mo for 3 years (plus the $250
annual), but that allows you to get the half price only once per
year. I have no background on whether this offer is any good or not,
but I did learn a bit of about the "direct incentive marketing"
fulfillment company: "Certs, Inc." (http://www.certsinc.biz)

At the end of the presentation, you get a "Thank you for attending our
travel presentation" form. It says:

"Please complete the form below and send it within 14 days with a self
addressed 4"x9.5" envelope to: Gift Redemption Center, 8437 Tuttle
Avenue #334, Sarasota, FL 34243-2868"

"Frequently asked Questions: Can I bring this paper in or call soemone
to ask questions about the offers before I choose? No after filling
out the front of this form it goes to a mail house, from there you
will be mailed the chosen promotional gift. After receiving the gift
you may contact the company providing the promotional gift to answer
your questions. Please understand that gifts are provided by an
outside company and the terms vary according to your choice. DO NOT
SEND MONEY WITH THIS FORM."

HERE IS WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT THE INCENTIVE:

Based on some research on the internet (just googled "Royal Palms
Vacations"), I figure that the incentive provider is "Certs,
Inc." (http://www.certsinc.biz). It seems that this company's
business model is to use whatever means they can think of to keep you
from getting your gift (you can read some experiences for yourself at
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...8/page/1.html).
I will summarize what I found, not by experience, but by reading the
complaintsboard.com site:

They make you pay $100 "processing fee", which I presume is in
addition to the "taxes and port fees" you agreed to on the original
post card. Then, later, they make you pay another $50 later, for
something else. You still don't have confirmed travel dates. They
also have a trick about having at least 30 days between travel date
choices, so if you pick 2/1 and 3/1, they void your gift, no recourse,
end of discussion. The $40 is gas is only payable $10 at a time, each
one requiring a separate submission, at least one month apart. On
respondent said the gas must be purchased in exact $10 amounts.

MY ADVICE TO YOU, IF YOU GOOGLED THIS WHEN YOU GOT THE POSTCARD IN THE
MAIL:

My wife and I had a nice night out. We had dinner at a favorite spot
near the venue of the sales pitch, and we stopped at another cozy spot
for a beverage on the way home. Except for the high-pressure sales
pitch at the end, the presentation wasn't bad. But we won't be trying
to get the free travel.

So unless you just want to sit through a sales pitch for no incentive,
or you think you can be the few, the proud, that actually GET the
incentive travel (after paying who-knows how many extra undisclosed
fees), just throw the post card in the trash.

--Dale--

--Dale--