Mosquito net: What mesh size in Tanzania?

Old April 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Dominik Hauser

Default Mosquito net: What mesh size in Tanzania?

Hi,

can you recommend a mesh size for a suitable mosquito net for Tanzania?

Thanks and regards,
-STEFFEN-
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Marc Lurie

Small enought to stop the mosquitos getting in :-)

Seriously though, I've never thought about this rather obvious
question. All of the portable nets I've see have a fairly fine mesh,
with barely perceptable gaps in the order of several tenths of a
millimeter, but that's more a result of the lightweight material that
is used. Windows have a much larger mesh, but these are equally
effective.

It makes sense to me that, if window mesh is satisfactory with gaps of
slightly more than 1mm, then any finer mesh would be perfect. I think
that it would not be possible to find a cloth mesh that was anything
near 1mm spacing as it would be too flimsy.

Just one thing: make sure you cover your bed with the net long before
the mosquitoes are around. If not, you run the risk of trapping the
mosquito INSIDE the net... You sure don't want that ;-)

Regards,

Marc.