Muguet de Bois

Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Donna Evleth

Default Muguet de Bois

Dans l'article , Derek McBryde
a écrit :

On 1 May I will be attending a "Journée Bavarde" with some friends
who are learning french.

Giving Muguet de Bois as a "porte-bonheur" is not a custom practised
in UK but I was wondering if there was anything appropriate that I
might do to bring this little touch of French culture to the day?
I'm not sure whether I can easily get Muguet in the florists in UK
anyway.

There will be lots of other people at the event who are friends but
not close friends, so bringing everyone a sprig of Muguet is out of
the question, even if it were appropriate.

I will be with two (married) female friends and will be meeting with
another (married) french female friend and a french male friend.

I don't know whether giving a little bouquet to these ladies would be
appropriate or whether this is something intimate that they would only
expect from their husbands and family. Also is it appropriate for
men to give muguet to men?

It just seems fortuitous that this french group is meeting on May 1.
Is there something acceptable that I can do to mark this french custom
or should I just leave well alone?

Derek

It has been my experience that on May 1st, anybody can give muguet to
anybody.

Donna Evleth