Driving from NY to Florida

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Brian K

Default Driving from NY to Florida

On 02/03/2004 6:10 PM Lasitha while holding Bubbles, exclaimed:

Hi,

I am thinking of driving from NY to Florida (Orlando). How long should I
allow for the drive?. According to my calculations, it will be about 18-20
hours of driving. Is this a good estimate?. Is there a good scenic route?.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Lasitha
London, UK

When I attended University at Univ. of South Carolina, I made the trek
up and down I-95 many times. Just to South Carolina, I took 2 days
stopping the first night in either Emporia VA or Roanoke Rapids NC.
Sometimes for christmas break, I'd drive from Columbia, SC up to NYC and
then after seeing the folks get some friends together. We'd drive in
shifts all the way down to Ft. Lauderdale or Daytona.

Either you want to make time or you want to stop and smell the flowers.
If you want to make time it's I-95 all the way. Put up with the trucks
and fast food joints along the interstate. If you want scenic follow
the coastal routes, many with one lane each way, but your extra travel
time is going to eat into your Florida time.

If you ask me, unless you are mid-twenties and driving with friends -
fly direct to Orlando. You may think that you are saving money by not
flying. What you save in airfare you will spend in bridge tolls, meals,
lodging, and gas/petrol. I've calculated it and a good airfare is less
than driving costs. I gotta tell ya', I-95 looks a lot nicer from the
window of a speeding jet several thousand feet up. In fact it looks
downright scenic.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old February 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

In article . net,
Brian K wrote:

[...]

I agree. Anyone who wants to maximize their visit in Orlando would fly
there, not drive. The drive down I95 is nothing short of dull and boring.
On the other hand, I look forward to the time when I am retired so I
can do something I have been wanting to do since I was a kid which is
to drive from the Philly area where I live to Miami and just take my
sweet time and visit lots of little (and not so little) towns along
the way to really see the sights.
Old February 4th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Brian Wickham

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 08:10:41 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

Either you want to make time or you want to stop and smell the flowers.
If you want to make time it's I-95 all the way. Put up with the trucks
and fast food joints along the interstate. If you want scenic follow
the coastal routes, many with one lane each way, but your extra travel
time is going to eat into your Florida time.

If you ask me, unless you are mid-twenties and driving with friends -
fly direct to Orlando. You may think that you are saving money by not
flying. What you save in airfare you will spend in bridge tolls, meals,
lodging, and gas/petrol. I've calculated it and a good airfare is less
than driving costs. I gotta tell ya', I-95 looks a lot nicer from the
window of a speeding jet several thousand feet up. In fact it looks
downright scenic.

Excellent advice. Flying is the way to go and compared to auto rental
prices in NY they are practically giving them away in Florida.

Brian Wickham