Safari cothing for Kenya/Tanzania

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default Safari cothing for Kenya/Tanzania

Quick question on what to bring for safari.

Will be at Ngorongoro and Serengeti, Tanzania, and Taita Hills, Kenya in
early/mid June.

I know there might be rain. Question is what weight of wind/rain gear
and warm clothign to bring? We do have goretex jackets and heavy fleece
(our normal winter wear) but is this overkill? Will a very light
windproof nylon shell do? How about *very* light sweaters or would at
least a medium weight be reqired? We're trying to pack compactly and
don't want to bring this if it is too much.

TIA
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Dave Patterson

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

Will be at Ngorongoro and Serengeti, Tanzania, and Taita Hills, Kenya in
early/mid June.

I know there might be rain. Question is what weight of wind/rain gear
and warm clothign to bring? We do have goretex jackets and heavy fleece
(our normal winter wear) but is this overkill?

I think so.
Think layers. But don't expect much rain. A light jacket
and a light sweater will be enough.

Old May 12th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Peter Gower

The coldest night I ever spent in Africa was at the Ngorongoro camp site in
late July. The wind just blew and blew. We had to boil eggs because the ones
being fried kept blowing out of the pan! You should be OK in mid June, but
goretex jackets just might be in place. Temperature was about 10 degrees C.
It was my first experience of winter camping! Peter

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Bobby

I was at Ngorongoro about a month ago and it was chilly in the mornings. I
was well pleased to have brought along a thick fleece jumper. By 10 o'clock
though, it was already warm.

. ..