Seasickness

Old August 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Scott Hendryx

Default Seasickness

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 27, 10:28 pm, Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or
in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to
be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the
ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the
current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for
seasickness.

Thoughts?

I've been on all kinds of small craft (canoes, ferries, motorboats,
etc)....never got sick. Then I went on a one day cruise (out to int'l
waters for gambling, back in)..

I WAS SO DAMBED SICK. Couldn't walk up upright sick. World spinning
around me sick. Watching people walk made me sick. Looking at food
made me sick.

Sorry; no advice---nothing worked for me..Dramamine,
bourbon...nothing.

Mrs Mookie
..wishing the best for you tho...

BABEEE, you I could go fishing, I need an automatic chumming device.

--
------MoParMaN------

TEDWARD Said:

Eggs are really good for you. They have all the nutrition needed to make a
chicken.

Old August 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 11:28 pm, Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

It's all about the diet. Consume plenty of:

Oysters Rockefeller
Egg nog
Curry
Creamed herring
Tequilla

HTH.

-Tom Enright

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Donald Newcomb

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message
Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions,
I would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I
don't like taking medicine that I don't need.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take a Bonine (meclazine
sp?) before you go to bed. The worst it will do is make you thursty. If you
find you don't need it, don't take any more. I don't get sick but I do get
pretty cranky when I have to hold onto my soup bowl to keep it from sliding
off the table. I always carry a little meclazine, even if it's just for my
wife who gets really seasick.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Donald Newcomb" wrote in message

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message
Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions,
I would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I
don't like taking medicine that I don't need.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Take a Bonine (meclazine
sp?) before you go to bed. The worst it will do is make you thursty. If
you
find you don't need it, don't take any more. I don't get sick but I do get
pretty cranky when I have to hold onto my soup bowl to keep it from
sliding
off the table. I always carry a little meclazine, even if it's just for my
wife who gets really seasick.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

I'll repeat my previous post with slight modification.

This is NOT always good advice. One of the potential side effects of Bonine
is nausea (go figure), which is exactly what it does to my wife. It also
makes her sleepy ( and this is the non-drowsy formula). So in her case, an
ounce of prevention is a pound of PAIN.

--
Greg

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Sue...

From someone who gets seasick...

Ginger may calm the stomach after you've thrown up.

But seasickness is all in the inner ear. Ginger's calming effect on your
stomach... well... I'm not sure that's going to work on the inner ear.

My suggestion to him... bring the Bonine just in case.

--Tom

Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or
in my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

If you and your wife have not had problems under these circumstances, then
it is most likely you will not have any on your cruise. I would get some
ginger capsules and take them "if" you feel the beginning of a problem.
Ginger in any form, capsules, ginger ale, ginger candy/cookies etc. are
all very good for seasickness and you don't have to take any ahead of
time, only if you start feeling sick.

sue

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

John Sisker wrote:
Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's like
Dramamine, but without as many side effects.

Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions, I
would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I don't
like taking medicine that I don't need.

From everything I have read here, Bonine is very helpful as long as you
take it before you get seasick.

Sue... the operative words are "medicine you don't need"... maybe for you...
but for someone who gets seasick... it's something you desperately need.

Sisker's right. Bring the Bonine.

And... you can take it as soon as you feel some motion symptoms... long
before you get sick. That may solve the problem. Sure it's best to have it
already in your blood stream.. but better to take it later, than not have it
at all.

To be totally honest... 7 ft waves off North Carolina could be very
different from 25 ft. waves for 10-20 hours pounding a ship, like we had on
Zenith when we sailed through a NorEaster for well over half a day.

--Tom

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Brian K" wrote in message

I'm with Sue Mullen on this. Don't take anything unless you need to, or a
doctor tells you to. Sometimes you can make yourself sick taking stuff
"just in case".

I did have a little bit of a bumpy ride leaving the Columbia River after
visiting Astoria, OR. The tide wasn't in full bore but getting there.
This is the river mouth that the Coast Guard in which it does it's rescue
drills, monster waves and such. We didn't have it quite that bad, but the
Captain had told us to stay inside. He said the waves were getting big,
it might not be safe to be on the outside promenade. People were retiring
to their cabins to be sick port and starboard. Not me, my sister either.
As the floor heaved and fell beneath our feet, walking became a sort of
coordination game.

I don't think you will run into anything nearly as funky as the mouth of
the Columbia River during tidal change. So, if you talk to your family
doctor and he gives you an Rx. Bring it along, but I don't think you
will need it.

--

I love how everyone who doesn't get seasick has all kinds of advice about
not taking anything you don't need to, or how they don't think you'll need

GET REAL... seasickness is VERY REAL FOR MANY PEOPLE. Don't simply dismiss
it because you don't need it. That's like telling someone with an ear
infection not to take their anti biotic because you don't have an ear
infection, and therefore you don't need it..

--Tom ---- 1 cruise without Bonine... 30+ cruise with Bonine.

Old August 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Jay Furr" wrote in message
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or
in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for
seasickness.

Thoughts?

Yes... BONINE. That's what my doctor told me to bring for my family.

--Tom

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Jay Furr

"Tom K" wrote in
:

John Sisker wrote:
Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth
a pound of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's
like Dramamine, but without as many side effects.

Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough
conditions, I would consider taking any medication ahead of time to
be overkill. I don't like taking medicine that I don't need.

From everything I have read here, Bonine is very helpful as long as
you take it before you get seasick.

Sue... the operative words are "medicine you don't need"... maybe for
you... but for someone who gets seasick... it's something you
desperately need.

Sisker's right. Bring the Bonine.

And... you can take it as soon as you feel some motion symptoms...
long before you get sick. That may solve the problem. Sure it's best
to have it already in your blood stream.. but better to take it later,
than not have it at all.

To be totally honest... 7 ft waves off North Carolina could be very
different from 25 ft. waves for 10-20 hours pounding a ship, like we
had on Zenith when we sailed through a NorEaster for well over half a
day.

Yeah, I sort of figured that; that's why I asked. I don't want to assume
that past performance predicts future performance.

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Peach

On Aug 27, 9:28 pm, Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233

My sister just returned from a "Tiger Cruise" on a big Aircraft
Carrier with her daughter in the Navy. She has never been on a ship of
any kind.... popped a Dramamine the first day, then after she got her
sea legs, it was smooth sailling. heh (Came from Hawaii to California--
apparently there were some pretty rough patches.)

Peach