Seasickness

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Jay Furr

Default Seasickness

I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Trent Woodruff[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 03:28:41 -0000, Jay Furr wrote:

I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.
That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.
I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.
Thoughts?

My wife says Dramamine works wonders (preventative).

....Never think that a handful of committed people can't change the world. In fact, it's the thing that usually has.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:00 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

If you and your wife have not had problems under these circumstances,
then it is most likely you will not have any on your cruise. I would get
some ginger capsules and take them "if" you feel the beginning of a
problem. Ginger in any form, capsules, ginger ale, ginger candy/cookies
etc. are all very good for seasickness and you don't have to take any
ahead of time, only if you start feeling sick.

sue
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
sherlock1

What, never?

"I'm never never sick at sea"

Old August 28th, 2007, 05:32 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Jay Furr

"sherlock1" wrote in news:ZoNAi.92264$dI1.48549
@newsfe08.phx:

What, never?

"I'm never never sick at sea"

No, never!

--
IFIIRZZSKOPGKXEAVOBMJKKVOLF 233
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's like Dramamine, but
without as many side effects.

Happy sailing,
John Sisker, SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency No. 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old August 28th, 2007, 05:59 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 10:28 pm, Jay Furr wrote:
I've never, ever been seasick, even in seven foot seas off the coast of
North Carolina on board a merrily rolling North Carolina state ferry, or in
my kayak in heavy chop out on Lake Champlain.

That being said, next week I leave on my Alaska cruise and I'm told that
the first night, going up the west side of Vancouver Island, is
nototriously rough and that a lot of people who've said "I'm never never
sick at sea" found out that there's always a first time.

I personally am kind of looking forward to seeing what it feels like to be
on a big ship while it rolls and pitches but just in case I do get the ol'
mal de mer (or in case my wife does), I'm kind of curious what the current
thinking is vis-a-vis preventative or therapeutic measures for seasickness.

Thoughts?

I've been on all kinds of small craft (canoes, ferries, motorboats,
etc)....never got sick. Then I went on a one day cruise (out to int'l
waters for gambling, back in)..

I WAS SO DAMBED SICK. Couldn't walk up upright sick. World spinning
around me sick. Watching people walk made me sick. Looking at food
made me sick.

Sorry; no advice---nothing worked for me..Dramamine,
bourbon...nothing.

Mrs Mookie
...wishing the best for you tho...

Old August 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

John Sisker wrote:
Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's like Dramamine, but
without as many side effects.

Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions,
I would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I
don't like taking medicine that I don't need.

From everything I have read here, Bonine is very helpful as long as you
take it before you get seasick.

sue - never been sea sick!!
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 8/28/2007 12:59 AM exclaimed:
[...]

I've done the cruise both in and out of Vancouver. Not an ounce of
discomfort. Like you I have lots of experience both on and in the
ocean. I don't get seasick. A number of people over eat and over
indulge in wine. Then they complain of being seasick. Nope. They just
overdid it that's all.

As for seasickness cures, I highly recommend the "Mythbusters" episode
on seasickness cures. It's a little gross but separates out the stuff
that just acts as a placebo, and the things that really work.

I'm with Sue Mullen on this. Don't take anything unless you need to, or
a doctor tells you to. Sometimes you can make yourself sick taking
stuff "just in case".

I did have a little bit of a bumpy ride leaving the Columbia River after
visiting Astoria, OR. The tide wasn't in full bore but getting
there. This is the river mouth that the Coast Guard in which it does
it's rescue drills, monster waves and such. We didn't have it quite
that bad, but the Captain had told us to stay inside. He said the waves
were getting big, it might not be safe to be on the outside promenade.
People were retiring to their cabins to be sick port and starboard. Not
me, my sister either. As the floor heaved and fell beneath our feet,
walking became a sort of coordination game.

I don't think you will run into anything nearly as funky as the mouth of
the Columbia River during tidal change. So, if you talk to your family
doctor and he gives you an Rx. Bring it along, but I don't think you
will need it.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM posted to rec.sport.football.college,rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

John Sisker wrote:
Jay,

All good suggestions here. However, an ounce of prevention is worth a
pound of cure. As a precaution, my wife and I use Bonine. It's like
Dramamine, but without as many side effects.

Considering that Jay has never been seasick under some rough conditions, I
would consider taking any medication ahead of time to be overkill. I don't
like taking medicine that I don't need.

From everything I have read here, Bonine is very helpful as long as you
take it before you get seasick.

sue - never been sea sick!!

This is good advice. One of the potential side effects of Bonine is nausea
(go figure), which is exactly what it does to my wife. It also makes her
sleepy ( and this is this non-drowsy formula). So in her case, an ounce of
prevention is a pound of pain.

--
Greg