Smoking at ORD?

Old November 14th, 2003, 06:05 PM
GVocks

Default Smoking at ORD?

I haven't had the pleasure?B-( of connecting through ORD in years and I was
wondering if there is anyplace in the airport where we can smoke without going
out and having to come back through security?
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Dave

I haven't had the pleasure?B-( of connecting through ORD in years and I was
wondering if there is anyplace in the airport where we can smoke without going
out and having to come back through security?

Nope, nada, zip...only place is on the lower concourse (arrivals area) outside.

Old November 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
mrtravel

GVocks wrote:

I haven't had the pleasure?B-( of connecting through ORD in years and I was
wondering if there is anyplace in the airport where we can smoke without going
out and having to come back through security?

Outside of the terminal.

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Eric Toline

Smoking at ORD?

Group: rec.travel.air Date: Sat, Nov 15, 2003, 10:45pm (EST+5) From:
(mrtravel)
Eric Toline wrote:
Smoking at ORD?
Group: rec.travel.air Date: Sat, Nov 15, 2003, 12:11pm (EST-4) From:

why don't you do everyone, including yourself, a favor and just quit
smoking?

why don't you mind you're own business?

Why are the smell and other negative aspects of smoking none of his
business?

Because people who smoke in designated smoking areas are not causing him
or you any problems.

Eric

Old November 16th, 2003, 01:08 PM
The Bill Mattocks

mrtravel wrote in message .com...
Do you mean outside the doorways of buildings I am entering or
leaving, or in the bus stop shelter when I am waiting for a bus? What
about the cigarette buts tossed every which way they can? I studied this
once for a college statistics course. An overwhelming majority of
smokers do not hesitate about throwing their butts to the ground. The
dangerous ones are those that toss lit cigarettes from moving cars. I
had significant damage to the seat of my car from someone doing this.
What about the people that hang cigarettes out the car window while
stopped in traffic?

You make good points - in my opinion, where a smoker's 'right to
smoke' interferes with a non-smoker's 'right to breathe clean air',
the smoker's rights must give way if the non-smoker (reasonably)
objects.

I've been guilty of some of the things you mention - hanging my
cigarette out the window of my car, etc. I'll try to be more careful.

It must also be said in fairness that sometimes non-smokers seem to go
out of their way to be offended by smokers. Or perhaps I should call
them 'anti-smokers' instead of just 'non-smokers'.

I have to laugh at California, though. At SFO, there used to be nice
smoking booths set up inside the various concourses. Last time I was
there, the booths were still there, but had been closed and locked for
a number of years. When they were operational, smokers could go in
there and enjoy their vice, and people outside could walk past and
goggle at the soon-to-be-stone-cold-dead smokers. It was fun.

But California has no sense of humor. The anti-smokers objected, and
the airport closed the booths. Now, with typical (in my opinion)
California logic, I suppose they thought that if they closed the
booths, the smokers would just NOT SMOKE! Ha! What happened was that
10,000 smokers were banished to the curb outside the airport. So
again, the airport thought that they'd fix that, and removed all the
ashtrays. Once again, idiotic Californian logic - now there are
millions of cigarette butts littering the entrance to the airport, and
non-smokers must walk a gauntlet of smoking fields puffing away
outside the airport to get in or out.

The folks at SFO could have kept the smokers locked up in our little
tanks, but NOOOOOOO! They could not STAND the fact that we were
smoking in full view of them, nevermind the fact that they could not
smell the smoke. Well, they reap what they sow.

It's a drug, folks. We're addicted. Get your heads around that fact.
As long as it is legal, many of us are not going to stop doing it
(until it kills us, of course). The main struggles should be how
smokers and non-smokers can live in peace and teaching smokers to be
more considerate of non-smokers (and vice-versa, to some extent), not
anti-smokers thinking they can legislate or brow-beat (or tax) us into
giving it up.

Here's a clue that most non-smokers don't seem to grasp - most
Americans have an 'in your face and up your six' attitude about being
told what to do 'for our own good'. What makes anti-smokers think
that smokers will feel any differently about smoking? Tell us to quit
for our own good and we'll tell you to go pound sand.

Liberty uber alles, baby.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

PS - Headed for RDU this morning, where the smokes are cheap and
plentiful.