Maui in October

Old November 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM

Default Maui in October

For those of you who answered my request about information about Maui,
thanks for your help, and especially for Mike who's heading there
this winter and wanted this information.

Eating in Maui is expensive, no doubt about it, but we found a couple
of places that were good and fairly reasonable. We stayed in the
Westin on Ka'anapali Beach, so much depends on where you'll be staying
as to whether this will be helpful. We had dinner at Leilani's on the
Beach a couple of times, lovely location and inexpensive. We found
Mr. Sub in Whaler's Village and ate there too many times to admit to
(the subs were so big that I split them and had two meals with one
sandwich). Their egg scramble for breakfast with fruit worked.
Especially when you consider that the Westin's breakfast was $14 for
their two egg breakfast and about $24 for their buffet. The buffet
was really good with lots of choices -- just too much to eat every
day, besides being expensive. We thought Lahaina Fish Company in
Lahaina was good, but can't give two thumbs up to the Aloha Mixed
Plate (my husband gives it a thumbs up for the coconut shrimp). The
Aloha Mixed Plate is right next to where the luau is held, has a
parking lot!, and a great view. Because our luau was rained out, we
tried Compadres in Lahaina at the Cannery and really did not care for
their food. North of where we stayed we found an excellent Chinese
restaurant, China Boat, and we thought the Plantation House was worth
eating at, probably mostly because of the view. Oh, and then there's
Longhi's in Wailea and Lahaina which is expensive, but has wonderful
food.

Anyway, Maui was wonderful, of course. The ocean, the flowers, the
birds (a flock of white egrets slept in the tree outside our window).
It's such a lovely place you may not care what you're eating or how
much it costs. Well, that's probably not quite true. A good meal at
a reasonable price is always nice. Enjoy your trip, Mike, and let us
know how you fared! Chris