NY critic says Spain overtakes France for cuisine

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Mike Torbre

Default NY critic says Spain overtakes France for cuisine

Alan Pollock wrote:

Many small restos and holes-in-the-wall all over the west are owned and run by
folks from Mexico, were born there or are first generation. So you get a
pretty good range of foods, types of enchilladas, quesadillas, tacos, various
plates, (I'm a machaca freak myself - rarely see two identical machacas across
restos and often not at all) and all manner of good stuff - often things I've
never heard of. Not modified, but often you get to choose whether it's hot or
not, if you want salsa on the side or not.

I suppose that depends on where you live. Even within Los Angeles, the
bulk of 'mexican' restaurants' food are heavily modified to suit the
american taste.
I guess to someone who's just been to ChiChis and Taco Bell, or orders from
the Mexican section of the menu at a chain like Coco's, it's all been altered,
sure, that's true. Nex

I resent your assumptuous comment. My neighbor makes me her homemade
tamales, moles, and tortillas, and while obviously they are not
indicative of 'true' mexican cuisine or food, I can differentiate them
from chichi's or chevy's or even, I didn't know they had a mexican menu,
Coco's.

I should, though, admit that I'm influenced by that special ingriedient,
love. Whether it's my mom's or my neighbor's foods, I 'taste' the love
and care they put in them, which makes everything else, well, taste like
teriyaki or in this case, tex-mex. In a way, it's more than the right
ingridients, it's the good, warm feeling you get when you see them see
you savoring their cooking.

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Alan Pollock

In rec.travel.europe Mike Torbre wrote:
Alan Pollock wrote:

[...]

They don't, and chill. Nex
Old September 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Charles Gifford

"Mike Torbre" wrote in message

I suppose that depends on where you live. Even within Los Angeles, the
bulk of 'mexican' restaurants' food are heavily modified to suit the
american taste.

snip
I should, though, admit that I'm influenced by that special ingriedient,
love. Whether it's my mom's or my neighbor's foods, I 'taste' the love
and care they put in them, which makes everything else, well, taste like
teriyaki or in this case, tex-mex. In a way, it's more than the right
ingridients, it's the good, warm feeling you get when you see them see
you savoring their cooking.

If you are in L.A. it is much more likely you would be eating Cal-Mex rather
than Tex-Mex. I have never seen a Tex-Mex restaurant in Califfornia other
than a chain restaurant. Unless the home cook is a transplant from Texas or
Mexico, they would almost certainly be cooking Cal-Mex even if only
generally.

Charlie