Luggage advice/info sought

Old January 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

Default Luggage advice/info sought

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
Larry in AZ wrote:

Waiving the right to remain silent, "Sharx35" said:

I find the luggage with wheels to be VERY pretentious. It says, "Look
at
me! I fly all the time! I have lots of FF points!"

I find people dragging luggage without wheels around to be either travel-
stupid, or cheap *******s.

To each his own. I have a $20 duffle bag. I just throw my clothes in it,
and away I go. Works for me, and since I don't bother checking luggage
any more, it easily fits in overhead storage bins.

And never travel outside the USA and never
--
William Black

Time for tea. carry more than about 5Kg and never go for more than a week.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
der gediegene dgs

William Black wrote, On 01/15/2009 03:20 AM:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

said:

I find the luggage with wheels to be VERY pretentious. It says,
"Look at
me! I fly all the time! I have lots of FF points!"

I find people dragging luggage without wheels around to be either
travel-
stupid, or cheap *******s.

To each his own. I have a $20 duffle bag. I just throw my clothes in it,
and away I go. Works for me, and since I don't bother checking luggage
any more, it easily fits in overhead storage bins.

And never travel outside the USA and never

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

I only bother checking luggage if I buy some bottled goods while
traveling. I have an old suitcase filled with wine carriers for
that, if I feel up to dragging it along.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...
William Black wrote, On 01/15/2009 03:20 AM:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

said:

I find the luggage with wheels to be VERY pretentious. It says,
"Look at
me! I fly all the time! I have lots of FF points!"

I find people dragging luggage without wheels around to be either
travel-
stupid, or cheap *******s.

To each his own. I have a $20 duffle bag. I just throw my clothes in it,
and away I go. Works for me, and since I don't bother checking luggage
any more, it easily fits in overhead storage bins.

And never travel outside the USA and never

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

Only if you're not going anywhere warm, or intend going somewhere other
than the beach...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
der gediegene dgs

William Black wrote, On 01/15/2009 10:10 AM:

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

To each his own. I have a $20 duffle bag. I just throw my clothes in
it,
and away I go. Works for me, and since I don't bother checking luggage
any more, it easily fits in overhead storage bins.

And never travel outside the USA and never

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

Only if you're not going anywhere warm, or intend going somewhere other
than the beach...

What does going anywhere warm have to do with it? Warm-weather travel
means relatively light clothing and, perhaps, clothing for swimming if
one is so inclined. I've gone to cool (and cold!) climates and warm,
and I still rarely check luggage in either case.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message

To each his own. I have a $20 duffle bag. I just throw my clothes in
it,
and away I go. Works for me, and since I don't bother checking luggage
any more, it easily fits in overhead storage bins.

And never travel outside the USA and never

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

Only if you're not going anywhere warm, or intend going somewhere other
than the beach...

What does going anywhere warm have to do with it? Warm-weather travel
means relatively light clothing and, perhaps, clothing for swimming if
one is so inclined. I've gone to cool (and cold!) climates and warm,
and I still rarely check luggage in either case.

Because you can't carry clothes for three weeks in a duffle that'll go in
the overhead locker if you're changing clothes twice a day...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
der gediegene dgs

William Black wrote, On 01/15/2009 10:27 AM:

wrote in message

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

Only if you're not going anywhere warm, or intend going somewhere
other than the beach...

What does going anywhere warm have to do with it? Warm-weather travel
means relatively light clothing and, perhaps, clothing for swimming if
one is so inclined. I've gone to cool (and cold!) climates and warm,
and I still rarely check luggage in either case.

Because you can't carry clothes for three weeks in a duffle that'll go
in the overhead locker if you're changing clothes twice a day...

I can. Warm-weather clothing is light and compresses quite nicely. I
also don't always have to change clothes twice a day.
Old January 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

wrote in message ...

I travel outside the USA (yes, from the USA). I rarely check luggage.
It's not difficult to pack efficiently enough to carry clean clothes
for two or three weeks.

Only if you're not going anywhere warm, or intend going somewhere
other than the beach...

What does going anywhere warm have to do with it? Warm-weather travel
means relatively light clothing and, perhaps, clothing for swimming if
one is so inclined. I've gone to cool (and cold!) climates and warm,
and I still rarely check luggage in either case.

Because you can't carry clothes for three weeks in a duffle that'll go in
the overhead locker if you're changing clothes twice a day...

I can. Warm-weather clothing is light and compresses quite nicely. I
also don't always have to change clothes twice a day.

Well as long as you don't ever want to sit near me on the plane, you can
get on with your life...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air
der gediegene dgs

William Black wrote, On 01/15/2009 10:34 AM:

wrote in message

[...]

You wouldn't notice. I still change 'em daily, and I often use self
catering facilities and laundries. I've also bought very cheap things
and simply tossed them out. You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message

[...]

I was agreeing with Mr. Black until you mentioned laundries. Sure, I travel
with a carryon too, and can live indefinitely out of my bag, as long as I do
laundry every 5 days or so.

Old January 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"der gediegene dgs"
wrote in message ...

You're picking at some awful tiny nits, and
you still haven't disproved my notion that it's quite easy to pack for
travel and not have to bother with check-in.

Well you're still going to have to go to check-in to have your documents
checked and your carry-on weighed.

--
William Black

Time for tea.