Poll: Tourists stifling charm of Key West

Old February 29th, 2004, 03:22 PM
fishman

Default Poll: Tourists stifling charm of Key West

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald.../counties/monr
oe_county/cities_neighborhoods/florida_keys/8067863.htm

KEY WEST

Poll: Tourists stifling charm

Key West may be losing its appeal, judging by the view of a leading travel
magazine, which calls it a victim of `crowding, poor planning and greed.'

BY CARA BUCKLEY

KEY WEST - For a city that trumpets its quirkiness and offbeat charm, the
shops and sights of Key West's Duval Street are notable for their
homogeneity.

Tightly crammed T-shirt shops flank chain stores, clamoring to capture
cruise ship passengers who stream by the thousands from seaborne mammoths
obscuring the sky. Tourists strain to catch sight of the island's
much-vaunted ''local characters'' on a strip filled with endless reflections
of themselves -- khaki-clad throngs in tropical shirts and sun visors,
clutching shopping bags and cups of beer.

This vision of Key West, not of paradise lost but of paradise overrun, has
led editors at National Geographic Traveler -- estimated readership 5.7
million -- to call Key West a destination that is Getting Ugly.

In its March 2004 issue, 115 of the world's ''great places'' are ranked
based on their environmental stewardship and tourism management, Key West is
tied with Thailand's Phuket area at third from last and is cited as a victim
of ``crowding, poor planning and greed.''

It isn't the first time that Key West has been publicly flogged for its
swollen tourism industry. A 1998 Newsweek article decried the city as
``spoiled.''

Jonathan Tourtellot, National Geographic Traveler's geotourism editor, said
200 geographers, anthropologists, photographers and travel experts were
polled for the survey, with 20 to 40 panelists going to each destination.
Key West was heavily criticized for its influx of cruise day-trippers, coral
reef die-offs, spring-break-like atmosphere -- and an overriding sense that
the city's character was lost.

Peter Ilchuk, executive director of the Florida Keys Lodging Association,
believes the glut of cruise ship day-trippers widens the discrepancy between
reality and the image the city peddles -- that of an easygoing, unique
place.

''I'm not so sure when we have 5,000 or 10,000 cruise ship passengers in the
port that it's the same image we are marketing to the world,'' Ilchuk said.

City officials are aware of such concerns. Mayor Jimmy Weekley recently
assembled a panel to address concerns about traffic, water and reef quality,
and noise, all the while creating sustainable tourism.

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Diva

Default Tourists stifling charm of Key West

I agree. I can't stand the place. I was there in December and drove down =
there from one of the middle keys where I was staying. It was =
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too crowded, a horrible array of junk tourist =
stores and not at all charming. I just wanted to get out of there. We =
went out on an excursion to look at dolphins in the wild, and that was a =
rip-off too. It was expensive, uncomfortable (the excursion boat had a =
bench to sit on that kept tipping when the guy started zooming along the =
waves), we were supposed to be able to "get in the water with the wild =
dolphins" but we never were given that opportunity, and after going out =
there where they were playing I was glad of it as it looked murky, there =
were portuguese man-o-war everywhere and I didn't think it would be a =
good idea to be in the water with a wild pod of dolphins anyway once we =
got out there and were watching them. The ads for the excursion showed =
people playing with them in somewhat shallow water. This was a bunch of =
crap -- at least on this particular day. So, the bottom line was that it =
seemed like an overcrowded, overpriced tourist trap to me and had very =
little charm from what I could tell.

June

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...da/counties/m=

Old March 1st, 2004, 08:34 PM
Jmpngtiger

Well, as one who stays there every year for a few days, the charm is still
there in places, but not too easy to see on a short stop from a cruise ship.
It's not on Duval street or in the hotels. It's in the B & B's and back in the
old neighborhoods (to an extent).

Tourism has changed everyplace. The Bahamas, The Virgin Islands, Mexico,
Jamaica, The Grenadines, Florida, ETC.

It's a fact of life on an over-populated planet.

There are some places with charm, but mostly off the beaten path. Better to
keep them secret, don't you think?

jt

[...]

.. .

Old March 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM
Russell Patterson

On our last cruise we stopped in Key West, and I agree, via a cruise
is not the best way to see Key West. If I ever see it again I would
like to drive down, but I would want to be there when there is the
least amount of Cruise ship Pax crowding the island, so as to get the
best from it. Does anybody have a url that gives a list of
dates/cruise ship visits in Key West?

Russ

"fishman" wrote in message ...
[...]

respond here or email responses to
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:26 AM
Jeff Coudriet

I would think in the summer would be the fewest number of cruise ships
in Key West, since many ships are deployed to Alaska and Europe. I
agree with Jmpngtiger as well...there is still some charm left in Key
West but you have to go off the beaten path a bit.

Jeff