Alabama Liquor Laws

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:12 PM
PeterL

"Everyboysmomma" wrote in message
PS...
I wasn't selling it!! It was for personal/party consumption!

Oh sure. Your speedometer was broke and the dog ate your homework too.

"Everyboysmomma" wrote in message

Not necessarily kidding. I don't know how it is today but back
when I was a bit younger Ohio had much cheaper liquor than
Pennsylvania. Most of the time the Pennsy police didn't bother
anyone. But as the Xmas holdiays got nearere, the police would
take an unmarked car to the closer Ohio liquor stores and radio
the license plate of anyone coming out and loading up a
Pennsylvaia car to state polices just inside Pennsylvania.

The cars woudl be stopped and the liquor confiscated unelss you
had a lot of liquor; then yo would be arrested.

The rationale was that Pennsylvania taxes hadn't been paid on the
liquor (rather like smuggling cigarettes).

I worked for a while at an engineering office in Youngstown OH,
which is quite near Pennsylvania. At lunch time in the holiday
seasons coworkers from Pennsylvania would head out to liquor
stores on the west side where there wouldn't be any Pennsy cops
observing license plates.

Connecticut cops have been known to do the same thing in Sturbridge

Mass.
The WORST time to try to stock up was on a Friday night. Usually a
midweek, midday run was safe... at least they never caught me in the 25
years I lived in CT!!
Momma

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 09:43:45 -0800, "PeterL"
wrote:

"Tiger" wrote in message
news
I see from the state website that it is illegal to take liquor into
Alabama. How is this policed? Is my car likely to be searched at the
Georgia/Alabama border when I drive from Atlanta airport with my UK
bottle of duty free next week?

You are kidding right? That's not even logical. I take it they don't want
anyone transporting liquor to Alabama for sale, without paying taxes first.

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Tiger

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 17:05:14 GMT, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

The only references I can find say "for the purposes of distribution".
If they find you selling your duty free they will be ****ed.

Tiger wrote:

I see from the state website that it is illegal to take liquor into
Alabama. How is this policed? Is my car likely to be searched at the
Georgia/Alabama border when I drive from Atlanta airport with my UK
bottle of duty free next week?

Tiger

I saw it on the Alabama Travel and Tourism website
http://www.800alabama.com/info/alaba...iquor-laws.cfm

Seems to suggest any liquor. I know we in the UK think the US liquor
laws extreme but this goes beyond that.

Tiger
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:44:05 +0000, Tiger wrote:

... I know we in the UK think the US liquor
laws extreme but this goes beyond that.

Which US liquor laws? There over 51 sets of liquor laws, from
quite liberal to quite restrictive.

Old November 4th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:42:29 -0800 Hatunen wrote:

:On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:44:05 +0000, Tiger wrote:

: ... I know we in the UK think the US liquor
:laws extreme but this goes beyond that.

:Which US liquor laws? There over 51 sets of liquor laws, from
:quite liberal to quite restrictive.

Much more than 51.

Many cities and counties have regulations as well.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old November 4th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Brian Wickham

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:42:29 -0800, Hatunen wrote:

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:44:05 +0000, Tiger wrote:

... I know we in the UK think the US liquor
laws extreme but this goes beyond that.

Which US liquor laws? There over 51 sets of liquor laws, from
quite liberal to quite restrictive.

WAY over 51! There are still dry counties in some states, each with
its own laws.

Brian Wickham