Raleigh/Durham

Old November 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
HH

Default Raleigh/Durham

Next April, my wife and I are flying into Raleigh/Durham Airport en route to
Europe. We arrive at 4:21 p.m. and must be at the airport at 4:30 p.m. the
following day for our flight. Neither of us has been to the area before.
We'd like to stay the night somewhere nearby where we will find something of
interest to visit during the morning and early afternoon. Thus my question:
Please recommend a hotel and visits that we might do in the morning and
early afternoon. We would have to stay at a hotel that provides shuttle
service to and from the airport. Many thanks.

Harlan
---
[If you reply to my email address, please delete the word REMOVE from the
address.]

Old November 11th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Daniel Barton

HH wrote:

Next April, my wife and I are flying into Raleigh/Durham Airport en route to
Europe. We arrive at 4:21 p.m. and must be at the airport at 4:30 p.m. the
following day for our flight. Neither of us has been to the area before.
We'd like to stay the night somewhere nearby where we will find something of
interest to visit during the morning and early afternoon. Thus my question:
Please recommend a hotel and visits that we might do in the morning and
early afternoon. We would have to stay at a hotel that provides shuttle
service to and from the airport. Many thanks.

Unfortunately you have conflicting goals. You can find
hotels near the Raleigh/Durham airport in Morrisville or
Research Triangle Park that will have free airport shuttle
service. But you won't be able to do anything touristy
without a rental car.

One hotel you could consider is the Marriott Crabtree
Valley hotel. It has free airport shuttle service
and is across the street from Crabtree Valley Mall. It's
a mall like any other city, and you can walk to it from
the hotel.

Check out http://www.raleigh-nc.org for info about Raleigh.

What day will you be in town?

Regards, Daniel

| |
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Rodney Boles

"HH" wrote in message news:_wvkd.72997$HA.3192@attbi_s01...
Next April, my wife and I are flying into Raleigh/Durham Airport en route to
Europe. We arrive at 4:21 p.m. and must be at the airport at 4:30 p.m. the
following day for our flight. Neither of us has been to the area before.
We'd like to stay the night somewhere nearby where we will find something of
interest to visit during the morning and early afternoon. Thus my question:
Please recommend a hotel and visits that we might do in the morning and
early afternoon. We would have to stay at a hotel that provides shuttle
service to and from the airport. Many thanks.

Harlan,

I work near the airport and there are lots of hotels nearby - Holiday
Inn Express, Residence Inn, La Quinta, Baymont - all of which seem to
have shuttles. An outlet mall with a food court is also nearby, as
well as a few other places to eat - Texas Steak, Hooters, Wendy's,
Taco Bell, etc. I'd just price shop on Expedia or wherever.

But there isn't really anything too interesting to do around there.
I'm inferring from your post that you will not be renting a car. A
short cab ride away woudl be Lake Crabtree (one exit down from most of
the hotels), or Umstead State Park (2 exits down - and there is an
Embassy Suites and several restaurants at this exit as well). Umstead
is very nice if you like hiking in the woods (Company Mill Trail is my
favorite). Crabtree is a pretty lake and the park there is quite nice.
Kayak, canoe, sail rentals available cheap.

If you venture further afield there are plenty of other options.
Staying in downtown Raleigh, for instance, would give you access to
lots of nice restaurants, nightlife, museums, etc. Staying on Blue
Ridge Road (or cabbing it to there), is the NC Museum of Art. In the
other direction, you've got Durham or Chapel Hill stuff - Duke, UNC,
trendy new malls, etc. All depends on how you plan to get around, what
you like to do, etc.