Why no rental car pickup in Pickton?

Old October 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
KG

Default Why no rental car pickup in Pickton?

Am I missing something here? We will be back in NZ December 06 to March 07 doing both North and
South Island again. And I have yet to find a car rental that offers a pickup or drop in Pickton.
I take it most must fly between islands and do their rental pickup in Christchurch, correct?
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
techD

"KG" wrote in message
Am I missing something here? We will be back in NZ December 06 to March
07 doing both North and
South Island again. And I have yet to find a car rental that offers a
pickup or drop in Pickton.
I take it most must fly between islands and do their rental pickup in
Christchurch, correct?

Is is because you are searcing with the wrong name?? Picton not Pickton
should give you a few companies....

Hope that helps.
TD

Old October 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
KG

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:17:49 -0400, KG wrote:

Am I missing something here? We will be back in NZ December 06 to March 07 doing both North and
South Island again. And I have yet to find a car rental that offers a pickup or drop in Picton.
I take it most must fly between islands and do their rental pickup in Christchurch, correct?

Thank you all very much for the responses. Picton works much better.
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
KG

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:11:29 -0500, .. wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:17:49 -0400, KG wrote:

Am I missing something here? We will be back in NZ December 06 to March 07 doing both North and
South Island again. And I have yet to find a car rental that offers a pickup or drop in Picton.
I take it most must fly between islands and do their rental pickup in Christchurch, correct?

SNIP

YOu say 'again' so I take it this is your second time in NZ.

Most rental car agencies do allow either pick up or drop off in
Picton.
However unless it is a through journey i.e. left one car at one side,
taken the ferry across then picked up the second car on the other
island, there most likely will be a surcharge.

Perhaps you might like to try agencies listed at:

http://www.rental-cars.co.nz

Third time to be exact, since the early 1990 we have spent around 6 months total in your beautiful
country. Our young's son now lives in Wellington, and he will spent a month with us on this trip.
We backpacked our first two trips and have done most of your great tramps. We stopped using travel
agencies years ago as we like to play it by ear, asking for suggestions where we are, at as to
where to go next. This approach has worked great for us through out the world. So any
suggestions you give will be appreciated. Being we are now in our mid 60 backpacking is now out of
the picture except for possible day tramps. We still love and miss the hostels but find in most
places we get some very strange looks, I think our age has put us over the border, after all who
want's to party with their parents. Thanks again for the response.
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
rchanson

Yes you are searching under the wrong name. It is Picton. All the
rental car companies have offices there. But you need a reservation
ahead of time for a locked in rate.
Also hostels are fine for older travellers. I was 71 last year when I
travelled with my daughter there. Met lots of older and younger
travellers. One meets many travellers from UK, Germany, other european
countries and of course Australia.