Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
JamesStep

Default Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

* There are a lot of folks who feel nervous about conducting
financial transactions online.

But can you not draw out money from a Post Office?
Or at the checkout in asupermarket? We can.

At a supermarket you can typically write a check for a little more
than the value of your purchase in order to a little cash back, if
that's what you mean. Perhaps some let you cash a payroll check,
I don't know. But there are many banking activities that you can't
do there. For example, if I wanted to deposit money into my
savings account, the supermarket checkout clerk isn't going to
be able to help me with that.

However, some banks will set up branch offices inside or adjacent to
larger supermarkets, since that's a location that many people find
convenient. In fact the bank branch I usually use is located inside
a supermarket.

* A lot of folks prefer dealing with people rather than
computers, especially if the bank has a friendly staff.

Oh come on.

Yes, I'm very serious. You and I are holding this conversation on the
Internet, so obviously we're people who are comfortable working with
computers. But there are millions of people who don't feel the same
way. And when you are a regular visitor at a bank, you may get to
know the staff and they get to know you. When I'm banking it's not
uncommon for me to hear the clerks greeting some customers by
name and vice versa.

generally prefer to bank in person (usually at the drive-thru window)

I think drive through banks are the epitome of laziness.

Huh? Is using a drive-thru more lazy than getting some cash at
the supermarket, as you suggested, or using an ATM, or doing
banking online?

It's simply another alternative for folks doing their banking. If they
don't like drive-thrus, they can walk into the bank, use an ATM or
whatever.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Alan Pollock

JamesStep wrote:

At a supermarket you can typically write a check for a little more
than the value of your purchase in order to a little cash back, if
that's what you mean. Perhaps some let you cash a payroll check,

In San Diego at least, *every* single supermarket, and most stores and even
many little hole-in-the-wall corner stores allow you to withdraw money
(cashback) from your bank account with your bank atm card after paying for
your purchase with the card. If you're dumb enough to want a cash advance from
your credit card after paying with it, many'll do that too.

Where do you live, James? Nex
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
JamesStep

In San Diego at least, *every* single supermarket, and most
store allow you to withdraw money from your bank account
with your bank atm card after paying for your purchase with
the card.

Yes, I didn't intend to imply otherwise. If all you need to do is
withdraw some cash, certainly you can do that with a bank card
at many stores.

Look, the *only* point I was trying to make in my original post
was to disagree with the poster who implied that no one goes into
banks anymore. That's just factually wrong. Lots of people, for
a variety of reasons, still prefer to go to the bank in person
rather than using other options such as ATMs, online banking, etc.

But I certainly agree that ATMs and online banking have *reduced*
the number of people who go into banks, and if that's the option
you prefer, that's fine with me.

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Alan Pollock

JamesStep wrote:

[...]

I see. Yes, I do think less people go to their physical bank, but many still
do go if I can judge by what I see with my own eyes. San Diego is
Electronically Correct, yet whenever I pass by a bank or use one of their
machines, folks are being served, physically, at counters. Not their virtual
avatars, not projected facsimilies, but actual, you know, people. I know I
know, terribly old-fashioned, but there you have it. Nex