Questions on NYC to Maine Trip

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM
ncurtis

Default Questions on NYC to Maine Trip

ML wrote in message ...
My friend and I are planning to spend 2 weeks around the 4th of July
weekend in the northeast, starting with a few days in NYC and then driving
through CT, RI, NH, VT, and ME. We definitely want to spend some time in
Acadia National Park and we're considering Cape Cod and/or Martha's
Vineyard,

[snip]
- My friend wants to leave things flexible and not book hotels ahead of
time, except in places where we definitely know we want to visit like NYC
and near Acadia, and probably someplace over 4th of July weekend itself.
Is this a good idea during the summer? Will we have trouble finding
moderately priced accommodations (say $50-$80/night) without reserving in
advance? I don't know how popular the area is for summer tourists.

Some years it seems like the entire DC-BOS corridor "summers" in the
areas you list, and people who summer book lodging early--including
low-budget bike tours, youth group tours, summer employees, and anyone
else looking for cheap lodging. Are you and your friend flexible
enough to spend an hour or 2 each day calling and calling and calling
hotels to find what's available in your price range? Flexible enough
to sleep in the car or to camp without benefit of camping equipment?
Flexible enough to stay in a crappy motel right on the highway (with
noise to match) but an hour's drive from anything most people would
consider worth a visit? If you folks are, stick with the original
(non-)plan...otherwise, reconsider and start booking rooms now.

Nancy
Old April 7th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Brian Wasson

$50-80 is probably unrealistic for lodging in these areas, especially
in July. For some reason lodging is generally very expensive in the
New England states, even for common motel chains.

As another poster suggested, if you don't mind camping I'd definitely
suggest taking a tent. Not that you would camp all the time, but it
will provide a fall-back option if all the rooms are booked. There are
many National Forest campgrounds and state parks in NH, VT and Maine.
I usually do a combo of camping and rooms depending on the area. In
many places camping is the way to go, scenery-wise! Note that in
places like Acadia and the White Mountains even the campgrounds may
fill up, especially over July 4. Many of them take reservations. In
some National Forest areas "dispersed camping" is allowed; just pick a
likely looking fire road and drive in a ways to set up your tent
somewhere. No facilities, but no fees, either!

Acadia definitely requires reservations, as it's a very popular
destination. July is really the beginning of their tourist season, so
it's bound to be booked. If everything is full, consider looking
off-island in the gateway town of Ellsworth, which offers several
motel choices. It's a 15-30 minute drive (or longer, if the traffic is
bad) into the park/Bar Harbor. If you have time, also consider heading
further up the coast on Rt. 1 past Ellsworth, as most tourists turn
around at Acadia. Campobello Island (which is actually in Canada) is
worth visiting, and the "Down East" coast is still pretty unspoiled
and untouristy compared to mid- and south-Vermont.