Toronto - public transit between airport and Markham?

Old July 8th, 2010, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Finn

Default Toronto - public transit between airport and Markham?

Is anyone aware of a relatively quick service by public transit
between Pearson airport and Markham (e.g. Markham Rd. and Steeles E.)?
I'm looking for something faster than Airport Rocket - Kipling;
subway to Finch (or subway/RT to Scarborough Centre or McCowan) - bus
to Steeles/Markham.

Is there any kind of shared van service?

Thanks for your help.
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Finn:
Is anyone aware of a relatively quick service by public transit
between Pearson airport and Markham (e.g. Markham Rd. and Steeles E.)?
I'm looking for something faster than Airport Rocket - Kipling;
subway to Finch (or subway/RT to Scarborough Centre or McCowan) - bus
to Steeles/Markham.

GO Transit operates two bus routes from the airport that may be of use.
Service is generally hourly with some variations. Only Terminal 1 is
served. Timetables are linked from he

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...x?station=AIRP

The Richmond Hill route is probably the one you want. This is apparently
an express, as it takes just 20 minutes to Richmond Hill Centre. From
there you would pick up sort of express bus, York Region Transit's
VIVA Purple route, which would take you to Main Street Markham (the
continuation of Markham Road) in about 35 minutes. If you wanted to
get to Steeles you'd need to take a regular bus south from there --
this happens to be a TTC bus that operates into Markham at YRT fares
(you would also pay a TTC fare if you cross Steeles, entering Toronto).
That would take another 10 minutes or so, so say 80 minutes overall
allowing some time to wait for connecting buses.

Here's the YRT system map:

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/map...ap_current.pdf

Now the other way from the airport. The GO route shown as "Brampton
Local" on the above page is actually semi-express at the eastern end,
and will get you to York Mills subway station in about 45 minutes. From
there you would take the subway to Finch (7 minutes) and then a TTC bus
to Steeles and Markham (53A, B, E, or F -- about 45 minutes). So that's
about 105 minutes overall allowing for time to make connections, but
you might still arrive sooner than the other way if you just missed a
Richmond Hill bus at the airport.

Is there any kind of shared van service?

I don't know.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We don't use clubs; they weren't invented here.

Old July 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Finn

Thanks Mark - I hadn't considered the GO option. I can probably
arrange to be picked up at York Mills - so this would save me a lot of
time.

mf.

Mark Finn:

* *http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/....aspx?station=...