'legal' question

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Oliver Lu

Default 'legal' question

Hi Folks,

Can anybody help me on this simple question?

What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Oliver
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:37 AM
SP Cook

Binyamin Dissen wrote in message :What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
:the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
:he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

Don't see the passport as being relevant to the question. Canadians do not
need it.

I believe it is the standard 90 days under the VWP.

VWP does not apply to Canadians. They have an even better deal.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:14 AM
Judy

"Oliver Lu" wrote in message
om...
Hi Folks,

Can anybody help me on this simple question?

What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Oliver

The maximum stay in Canada is 6 months.

Here's a link with vehicle info. Click the "personal identification" link
for info about that.

http://gocanada.about.com/cs/borderc.../carpapers.htm

Judy in Canada

Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Emma Chase VanCott

Oliver Lu wrote:
: Hi Folks,

: Can anybody help me on this simple question?

: What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
: the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
: he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

We have no citizenship card in Canada.

I went in December with an Ontario birth certificate.

Some Canadians (the "snowbirds") stay in the US for 6 months of the year.

Emma
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM
Binyamin Dissen

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:14:28 -0400 "Judy"
wrote:

:"Oliver Lu" wrote in message
.com...
: Hi Folks,

: Can anybody help me on this simple question?

: What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
: the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
: he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

: Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

:The maximum stay in Canada is 6 months.

For a Canadian?

While I might agree that anyone who stays in Canada longer is nuts, I wasn't
aware that their government enforced such a policy.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Mark Brader

Oliver Lu:
What is the maximal period of time for a Canadian to legally stay in
the US with only his/her citizenship card (no passport, no visa) if
he/she cross the border by personal vehicle?

Considerable misinformation has already been posted. Usenet is a *bad*
place to ask questions about immigration law; the only answer you should
believe is "Ask the representatives of the country you wish to visit."

So ask the representatives of the country you wish to visit -- the US
embassy or consulate. Or find the information on a US government web
site. Then perhaps you'll get an answer you can trust.

For example, Emma VanCott writes:

We have no citizenship card in Canada.

Of course we do; I have one right here. It's just that people born in
Canada don't usually have a reason to get one.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yet Another Wonderful Novelty -- YAWN!"
-- Liam Quin