Eating in Costa Rica

Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pantagruel

Default Eating in Costa Rica

Note: I am posting here because so many Americans travel to CR and the
Rec.Travel.Central America ng is so poorly used. I will also post on
Fodor's.

We will be going to San Jose soon and am interested in any restaurant
experiences, good and bad, cheap and pricey. All kinds of food. Thanks, Jose

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"pantagruel" wrote in message
ink.net...
Note: I am posting here because so many Americans travel to CR and the
Rec.Travel.Central America ng is so poorly used. I will also post on
Fodor's.

We will be going to San Jose soon and am interested in any restaurant
experiences, good and bad, cheap and pricey. All kinds of food. Thanks,
Jose

Daughter and husband did not care for San Jose, but felt the food was good
and reasonable in most of CR on a couple of trips. There is a word for the
daily special at the local restaurants and she said they are what the locals
eat and were very good.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Vacation Mamma

It's been a while but:
check out my blog post:
http://vacation-mamma.blogspot.com/2...osta-rica.html for a good
photo and quick tips.

I liked the food we had at :
Hotel Grano de Oro in San Jose, it was the best of the trip; and
El Parador near Manuel Antonio, but not in Quepos where I got food
poisoning either from the fish or water (don't believe what the locals
say on the water, drink bottled)

The local fish is really what to get. We had a great driver from
Arenal to Manuel Antonio, and he stopped at a locals only place,
excellent...my point, eat what the locals eat. It's usually good and
fresh, but watch your tummy...

Old January 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

"janerene" wrote in message
There is a restaurant we like in San Jose called Machu Pichu that is quite
good.

Believe it or not, Macchu Picchu is a chain with restaurants in several
Central American towns. I agree that the food is good.

OP, try your post also on rec.travel.latin-america.

Old January 6th, 2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
janerene

Are you sure??? This place did not look like a chain. Looks like it has
been there forever and definitely does not smack of "mass production".

"k" wrote in message
t...

Old January 7th, 2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

"janerene" wrote in message
Are you sure??? This place did not look like a chain. Looks like it has
been there forever and definitely does not smack of "mass production".

"k" wrote in message
t...

"janerene" wrote in message
There is a restaurant we like in San Jose called Machu Pichu that is
quite good.

Believe it or not, Macchu Picchu is a chain with restaurants in several
Central American towns. I agree that the food is good.

OP, try your post also on rec.travel.latin-america.

We spent a few weeks in Panama last month, and there were Machu Picchu
restaurants in Panama City and Boquete. They did look old, but the signs
are identical, and our waiter in Panama City mentioned their new 'store' in
San Salvador.

That said, I see Machu Picchu restaurants in Virginia and Colorado too, and
they don't appear to be related. The ones in Panama had a lot of seafood
dishes on the menu if that rings a bell.

Keith