Rome airports ground transportation

Old January 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
2007 Amy

Default Rome airports ground transportation

We, in a group of 3 people, are visiting Rome in May.
We arrive Rome Leonardo de Vinci Airport at 7am Tuesday morning.
We depart Rome Ciampino Airport at 10am in Sunday morning.

Can you recommend any good budget ground transportation into city of Rome.
Any reasonable subway, train, or bus? Is shuttle bus expensive?

Thank you.

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

2007 Amy wrote:
\
We, in a group of 3 people, are visiting Rome in May.
We arrive Rome Leonardo de Vinci Airport at 7am Tuesday morning.
We depart Rome Ciampino Airport at 10am in Sunday morning.

Can you recommend any good budget ground transportation into city of
Rome. Any reasonable subway, train, or bus? Is shuttle bus expensive?

The train is right there at LDV airport, and costs Euro 9.50 per person. It
takes you to Stazione Termini.

Especially with three people, I would take a taxi instead. It will cost
around Euro 50 instead of the Euro 28.50 the three train tickets will, but
it will take you to your hotel. If you take the train, you will probably
have to get a taxi to your hotel at Stazione Termini anyway. Depending on
where your hotel is, the train plus the taxi will probably come to around
Euro 40, and for the extra 10 Euros or so, I'd opt for the convenience of
the single taxi ride.

There are also limo services you can arrange in advance, but I have no
details on any.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old January 16th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:32:06 -0800, "2007 Amy"
wrote:

We, in a group of 3 people, are visiting Rome in May.
We arrive Rome Leonardo de Vinci Airport at 7am Tuesday morning.
We depart Rome Ciampino Airport at 10am in Sunday morning.

Can you recommend any good budget ground transportation into city of Rome.
Any reasonable subway, train, or bus? Is shuttle bus expensive?

There are two trains into Rome from Fiumicino (L. da Vinci). One is an
express train to Termini station. It costs about 13 euros if I
remember correctly. There is another cheaper train that makes more
stops and doesn't go to Termini. It stops at one of the metro
stations, though, and also at the Trastevere train station, which is
more convenient than Termini if you are staying near the Vatican,
Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori (or in Trastevere itself). This
train is considerably cheaper than the other, maybe 5 euros or so. A
taxi costs between 40 and 50 euros.

I have never been to Ciampino, so I can't advise you there.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

2007 Amy wrote:
We, in a group of 3 people, are visiting
Rome in May. We arrive Rome Leonardo
de Vinci Airport at 7am Tuesday morning.
We depart Rome Ciampino Airport at
10am in Sunday morning.
Can you recommend any good budget
ground transportation into city of Rome.
Any reasonable subway, train, or bus? Is
shuttle bus expensive?

[Prices will be for 3 persons]
IIRC There is a train & either metro, bus or tram connection that will
cost €18 (€5 for the train and €1 for a metro/bus/tram ticket.
A hassle esp if unfamilar with the buses, the route and where to get
off.
Easier by metro if you are staying near Termini Train Station.
Plus luggage can be a problem on public transport at busy times.

The 'Leonardo Express' is a non-stop train to Termini, €28.5 last
year but there might have been a price increase?

The shuttle bus website won't come up for me but I know it's €28 for
2 and probably ~ €35 for 3.

No subway option and the bus costs the same as the train to Termini.

Except for the €18 option and the Express Train *if* you are staying
near Termini, a private car (Mercedes) and driver with this company is
the best hassle-free deal.
Up to 4 persons for €35
www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/FiumicinoE.htm

For Ciampino the direct bus from Termini is ~ €30 I believe.
I believe there is also a train and regular bus connection but again
the hassle/lost factor.

A taxi is (set rate) €30 plus €1 per luggage in the trunk/boot
(€40 plus luggage from FCO-Leonardo d. V. airport).
The set rate is fairly recent and I have my doubts that many of the
taxidrivers suddenly turned honest.

The limo company is €35.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old January 18th, 2007, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
2007 AY

"Poetic Justice" wrote in message
2007 Amy wrote:
Except for the ?18 option and the Express Train *if* you are staying
near Termini, a private car (Mercedes) and driver with this company is
the best hassle-free deal.
Up to 4 persons for ?35
www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/FiumicinoE.htm

For Ciampino the direct bus from Termini is ~ ?30 I believe.
I believe there is also a train and regular bus connection but again
the hassle/lost factor.

A taxi is (set rate) ?30 plus ?1 per luggage in the trunk/boot
(?40 plus luggage from FCO-Leonardo d. V. airport).
The set rate is fairly recent and I have my doubts that many of the
taxidrivers suddenly turned honest.

The limo company is ?35.
Regards, Walter

For 3 people, which costs less, shuttle or taxi?

Old January 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

2007*AY wrote:

For 3 people, which costs less, shuttle or
taxi?

A taxi will be less.

These are the 2 big shuttle services, the 1st one only does FCO Airport
(LDVinci) and the 2nd one does both FCO & CIAmpino.
www.hotelreservation.it/shuttleservice.asp http://www.airportshuttle.it

Taxi from FCO; €40 for 3 people plus €1 per/luggage.

Shuttle from FCO; €45 for 3 people (hotelreservation.it).

Shuttle from FCO; €40 for 3 people (airportshuttle.it)

The private car company I mentioned €35 for 3 people.

To CIA Airport a taxi is €30 plus luggage fee for 3 people.

The shuttle is €48 for 3 people.

The Airport bus is €39 for 3 people.

The private car company is €35 for 3 people.

Also the FCO Airport-Termini Train mentioned in the other posts
(Leonardo Express) is now €11 per person (Thanks Barbara.

Old January 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

I booked a shuttle to and from FCO right to my hotel through viator.com

http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Rom...ival-Shuttle-T
ransfer/d511-3523ROMAPTHTL

Paid $17 each way in Nov. 2005. Thought it was okay and then found some
other passengers on the same ride were paying over 25 euros.

Still very cheap compared to most other cities for door-to-door service.
The downside is you are sharing the ride and so you may wait around
while they fill up the seats.
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Clohogue

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
2007 Amy wrote:
\
[...]

I was in Rome in October last as part of a group of 3 adults. We got the
Leonardo Express from FCO (Leonardo da Vinci Airport) direct into Termini,
Rome's main train station. (this suited us as our hotel was only a few
minutes walk from Termini). The cost on the tickets was 11 euro each,
however there was some sort of a special group rate and we were only
actually charged 24 euro in total. ( It was the gentleman on ticket counter
who gave me this offer, I did not know about it in advance).

It was very quick and convenient however my one gripe was that the carriages
all have about 3 steps up into them which makes it very difficult to get our
suitcases up into the train. One of us had to pass up the cases to another,
and they were quite heavy. The entrances as on most trains are quite narrow
which made this even more difficult. It really is a bad design for a train
that is dedicated to the Airport to Train station route (each carriage is
painted Leonardo Express, so they are obviously for this route only).

My aunt was in Rome last weekend and they used Ciampino Airport. They got a
taxi to their hotel (which was also near Termini) and the taxi for 4 adults
with 2 suitcases was 50 euro.