Seek moderate hotel for Rome in May 2007

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
2006 July

Default Seek moderate hotel for Rome in May 2007

So what is the middle price range for hotels in Rome?
Is EUR 100 the right price range?

Is there any particular hotel in Rome you do recommend?

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
2006 July wrote:

We are probably take two to three rooms, each room for 2 to 3
persons. We think 4 days is enough to taste Rome and then forward to
other destinations.

OK, as long as you understand that a taste is all you're getting. My
preference would be to stay longer and forego or shorten the other
destinations, but I understand that your view can be different.

We do not know the prices in Rome in May. But are thinking the break
point at US$100. Is that too low?

That's around EUR75, which is certainly on the low side. You can probably
find something, but you'll probably have to settle for a hotel somewhat
farther from the central part of the city, where I prefer to stay. There
are probably EUR75 hotels around the railroad station, which isn't my
favorite part of Rome, and not particularly convenient..Sorry, I have no
recommendations in that price range and location, but someone else here
will probably be able to help.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Individual shower & toilet is nice. None of bath, breakfast,
elevator, TV, A/C, phone, etc. are necessary.

Thank you.

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
2006 July wrote:

We are planning to visit Rome in second week of May 2007 for 4 days.
We are a group of recently retired friends & family. This will be
our first trip to Rome. We plan to visit the typical popluar tourist
sights.
We are budget minded people seeking moderate around 3 star hotels.
We plan to take the underground subway while in Rome. Any
suggestion of Hotel and recommendation are much appreciated.

Everybody has different ideas of what moderate means, and has
different needs. Tell us how much you want to spend for each room,
and what you expect to get: single or double room, private bath,
As an aside, Rome is a big wonderful city with *many* interesting
things to d and do. In my view, four days is nowhere near enough for
a first visit, and will permit to barely scratch the surface of what
Rome has to offer. Romanian newsgroup deleted, as inappropriate for this
question.

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

2006 July wrote:

So what is the middle price range for hotels in Rome?

I have no idea. I'm not even sure how you might calculate such a number
meaningfully. I don't even think it's useful to know what the "middle" price
is. Instead, I think you should want to know how much you have to spend to
get what you want.

Is EUR 100 the right price range?

And it's very hard for me to answer that question for anyone else, because
we all want different things. For me, I find that in Rome, I need to spend
around EUR125 to get what I want, which is a double room that's reasonably
quiet, clean and comfortable, but not necessarily luxurious, with a private
bath, in a central area (my preference is the area near the Piazza Navona or
Campo de' Fiori).

Is there any particular hotel in Rome you do recommend?

I like the Hotel Arenula, which Barbara Vaughan also recommended. As a
matter of fact, the first time I went there, it was because of her
recommendation here. But it's EUR125 for a double. See
http://www.hotelarenula.com/indexen.htm It meets all of my criteria, and I
find its location very convenient.

A little cheape and plainerr, but still acceptable (to me) is the San
Pantaleo: http://www.residenzasanpantaleo.com/

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian
Kateri

2006 July wrote:
We are planning to visit Rome in second week of May 2007 for 4 days. We are
a group of recently retired friends & family. This will be our first trip to
Rome. We plan to visit the typical popluar tourist sights.

We are budget minded people seeking moderate around 3 star hotels. We plan
to take the underground subway while in Rome. Any suggestion of Hotel and
recommendation are much appreciated.

Try www.sleepinitaly.com

..the ones we got from Rick Steve's
travel guide were not so good. You can get an apartment
I think from this site.

The Gerber Hotel wasn't to bad @ 120 Euros.

Old July 13th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian
pantagruel[_1_]

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "2006 July" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
. net...
We are planning to visit Rome in second week of May 2007 for 4 days. We
are a group of recently retired friends & family. This will be our first
trip to Rome. We plan to visit the typical popluar tourist sights.

We are budget minded people seeking moderate around 3 star hotels. We
plan
to take the underground subway while in Rome. Any suggestion of Hotel and
recommendation are much appreciated.

Try Hotel Des Artistes. May 07 is too far ahead to book online but as of Feb
07 rooms with private bath were running 105 to 113. It is about l block from
the underground. They do not let all rooms on the net so you might just call
them. I have stayed there and thought is was quite satisfactory although off
to the east of central Rome a bit.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian
2006 July

Is this the hotel?
http://www.hoteldesartistes.com/
Please tell me more about the notel: noise? shower?
Room size large enough for 3 person? Are they twin beds or queens?
Thank you.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
2006 July

Thank you. Both looks quite nice to me. Can you tell me anything about the
noise, if any?
I will show it to our group. Thank you.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
2006 July

Thank you Barbara,
I am unable to find Pensione Piave hotel web site or listing in Venere?

We plan to stay the week of May 14, 2007, is Rome need air condition by that
time? What is the typical temperature and humidilty around that season?
Sound like A/C is a must for people from San Francisco?

Thank you.

I stayed recently at the Pensione Piave, which is a simple 3-star
hotel, with an (ancient) elevator and air conditioning. The rooms were
small, but nicely furnished and a simple continental breakfast was
included. It's on the eastern edge of the historical center, so it's
not the most convenient location for walking everywhere, although it's
close to Villa Borghese and Piazza di Spagna. The price is around 100
euros, depending on season. The staff were very nice.

I also like the hotel Arenula, which is a 2-star, but in many ways
nicer than the Piave, and definitely in a more convenient location.
It's 125 euros a night. However, it has no elevator. It does have air
conditioning.

Individual shower & toilet is nice. None of bath, breakfast, elevator, TV,
A/C, phone, etc. are necessary.

A hotel without airconditioning and elevator would be a one or two
star according to the Italian system. You can probably find something
in your price range at those levels. However, in summer, you may wish
you had airconditioning in some old hotels that face an inner
courtyard and get little breeze at night. I would choose one or two
stars on the venere site and then sort by price and pick according to
the customer satisfaction and location. Do read the reviews rather
than just look at the rating. I saw one where the customer gave the
hotel a low rating because Rome is so much more expensive than Madrid.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:18:54 GMT, "2006 July"
wrote:

So what is the middle price range for hotels in Rome?
Is EUR 100 the right price range?

100 euros is a bit on the low end, I'm afraid. Hotels in Rome are
rather expensive. Still, you can find decent hotels in that range and
below.

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.romanian
B Vaughan

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:00:02 GMT, "2006 July"
wrote:

Is this the hotel?
http://www.hoteldesartistes.com/
Please tell me more about the notel: noise? shower?
Room size large enough for 3 person? Are they twin beds or queens?

For the best reviews on any specific hotel, go to www.tripadvisor.com
and enter the name of the hotel and city in the search dialog.

In general, double rooms in Italy have two twin beds. If you ask for a
double bed ("Letto matrimoniale"), they push the two beds together and
make it up with queen size sheets.

You would have to ask about the possibility of a third bed when making
the reservation. You might want to buy a copy of Let's Go, Italy,
which has detailed information about the type of rooms, number of
beds, and prices for the different types of room. They only cover the
lower end of the hotel market, but I have found a lot of very good
value hotels in their guides, including several in Rome. I found the
Pensione Pavia, which I mentioned in my last post, in their guide.

Old July 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:00:03 GMT, "2006 July"
wrote:

(about the hotel Arenula)

Thank you. Both looks quite nice to me. Can you tell me anything about the
noise, if any?
I will show it to our group. Thank you.

It's on a very small side street, little bigger than an alley, so
there isn't much traffic. I've never been bothered by noise there.

The location is close to ideal, an easy walk to most things a tourist
wants to see, and close to good public transport. It's in the former
Jewish Ghetto, and very close to the Tiber. You can cross the river on
foot to visit Trastevere, where there are lots of good restaurants.

However, as I said in my other post, this area is getting rather
expensive. (Maybe due to the praise Ken and I give it!) You can now
find better bargains in other parts of central Rome, although they are
not as well located.

The Arenula has air conditioning but no elevator. They serve a simple
continental breakfast, nothing to write home about. Their bathrooms
are clean and modern.