Chicago-London-Delhi travel, one tricky consideration

Old July 25th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Kiran

Default Chicago-London-Delhi travel, one tricky consideration

Miguel Cruz wrote:

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
Personally, I'd phone BA tickets and reservations and let them book the
entire trip. It will probably end up costing less than a travel agent will
arrange. Travel agents are paid commissions, it's not in their best
interests to get you the lowest fares. KM

These days most travel agents charge you a flat commission that doesn't
depend on the cost of the ticket.

If they want you to come back and pay the commission again they will do
a good job for you.
The airline is earning a 100% commission on the flight ticket; by your
reasoning what incentive would they have to offer you a low fare

I would estimate that it was no more than 1%-2% flights when I got the
lowest fare directly from an airline. FWIW, however, I have noticed
that since the advent of the Internet, everybody's best quotes are
getting closer.

That said, I may be biased by my experince most of which was traveling
to India; "ethnic" markets may be different. Also, it doesn't hurt to
check with everyone.
Old July 26th, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Riaz

HI Kiran,

I just did a round trip Chicago-Delhi fare search on British Airways's
website. The dates were February 8 leaving Chicago and February 22
leaving Delhi (both trips via London). The total fare including all
surchurges is coming to $1342.82. I did the same search on American
Airline's website and the fare is coming to $1228.70. Some difference
but not much. If you try to book these flights using Indian travel
agents in the US, then they often give the same flights by charging
unpublished lower fares. But the published to India are a lot lower
these days than it used to be. So if you can afford it, book your
ticket on BA's website (since you need the LHR-DEL flight on BA). India
flights from London do sell out so I would not wait till close to
travel. You can buy your ticket now. And things are generally more
convenient if you have a single through ticket from Chicago to Delhi
and back (as opposed to having two tickets!).

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
AlexZ

: I just did a round trip Chicago-Delhi fare search on British Airways's
: website. The dates were February 8 leaving Chicago and February 22
: leaving Delhi (both trips via London). The total fare including all
: surchurges is coming to $1342.82. I did the same search on American
: Airline's website and the fare is coming to $1228.70.

London has very high taxes, so the difference could simply be extra
taxes for passing through there. As the OP does not need to return via
London, it may be cheaper to use AA nonstops from Delhi to Chicago.

: If you try to book these flights using Indian travel agents in the US,
: then they often give the same flights by charging unpublished lower
: fares. But the published to India are a lot lower these days than it
: used to be.

There is never any harm in checking with a few agents, of course.
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Miguel Cruz

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
Why Miguel, so nice to see you back, but still consistently disagreeing with
whatever I post. I'll never forget the time I posted the color of my eyes
and you responded to let me know I was wrong.

Well, you still consistently post nonsense. Google groups link to the
color-of-the-eyes post please? Thanks.

Just because you are a travel
agent, doesn't mean the always get the best fares. I consistently beat
their best offers.

That's not because of commissions. It's because you have a bad travel
agent. Any travel agent who chose to could find the same fares you do.
As well as others that you can't get.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

Plonk the ****er, Miguel. He never says anything of value.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

In rec.travel.europe Alohacyberian wrote:
Personally, I'd phone BA tickets and reservations and let them book the
entire trip. It will probably end up costing less than a travel agent will
arrange.

I would advise the opposite; a good travel agent might be able to
undercut the very lowest fare that an airline can offer you for an
international flight. Buying international tickets directly from an
airline means you will be paying more then you need to.

Travel agents are paid commissions, it's not in their best
interests to get you the lowest fares. KM

It most definitely is in the best interest of the travel agent to get a
customer the lowest fare. If the customer goes elsewhere for a better
price, then no sale, and no commission.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
mrtravel[_1_]

Riaz wrote:

HI Kiran,

I just did a round trip Chicago-Delhi fare search on British Airways's
website. The dates were February 8 leaving Chicago and February 22
leaving Delhi (both trips via London). The total fare including all
surchurges is coming to $1342.82. I did the same search on American
Airline's website and the fare is coming to $1228.70. Some difference
but not much. If you try to book these flights using Indian travel
agents in the US, then they often give the same flights by charging
unpublished lower fares. But the published to India are a lot lower
these days than it used to be. So if you can afford it, book your
ticket on BA's website (since you need the LHR-DEL flight on BA).

You can book BA tickets on the AA site.
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Alohacyberian

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
"Alohacyberian" wrote:
Why Miguel, so nice to see you back, but still consistently disagreeing
with
whatever I post. I'll never forget the time I posted the color of my
eyes
and you responded to let me know I was wrong.

Well, you still consistently post nonsense.

So sorry about that Miguel. I didn't realize that I was supposed to post
things that meet your approval. What brings you to mind is that you were
born in a third world country, went to Europe to seek your fortune, realized
that things were so much better in America, so you came to the U.S.A. and
have ever since done your utmost to trash and bash the country that you
chose over the European utopia and the wretched poverty of your own country.
Some say that ingratitude is the only unforgivable sin. I await with bated
breath your next vicious attack on America. And I won't hold my breath
waiting for your announcement that you have found a better country in which
to live. You won't. You can't. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old July 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Alohacyberian

wrote:

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
Why Miguel, so nice to see you back, but still consistently disagreeing
with
whatever I post. I'll never forget the time I posted the color of my
eyes
and you responded to let me know I was wrong.

Well, you still consistently post nonsense. Google groups link to the
color-of-the-eyes post please? Thanks.

Plonk the ****er, Miguel. He never says anything of value.

LOL! He doesn't agree with your screed? So solly. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or
CNN, NBA, the White House, Academy Awards & 150 foreign languages
Visit Hawaii, Israel and mo http://keith.martin.home.att.net/
"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message

Old July 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,soc.culture.indian,soc.culture.british,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel.europe
Alohacyberian

"Alohacyberian" wrote:
Why Miguel, so nice to see you back, but still consistently disagreeing
with
whatever I post. I'll never forget the time I posted the color of my
eyes
and you responded to let me know I was wrong.

Just because you are a travel
agent, doesn't mean you always get the best fares. I consistently beat
their best offers.

That's not because of commissions. It's because you have a bad travel
agent.

I've never had a travel agent, so what are you talking about? Inventing
something out of thin air, falsely attributing your creation to me and then
arguing against the contrivance of your imagination? It doesn't matter how
long you're gone, you still employ the same dishonest tactics. And if you
don't like someone, you're going to attack anything they post, even if it's
a verbatim quote from one your posts! Thanks for the entertainment, Miguel.
KM