windsor border guards

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

Default windsor border guards

I have a US dollars checking account, so the issue isn't that I carry
cash because I have to, but it's a preference. I budgeted a certain
amount for my trip, I wanted to make sure I didn't overspend. I have
credit cards, but it doesn't mean I need to use them... So the bank
card thing isn't an issue, these guys are just profiling, and I don't
fit the "normal" profile no matter what I'm doing. I just live with
it. When I'm headed to the parks or to visit friends, and I have $500,
they don't even blink (mind you I take travellers checks on the longer
trips). They like to ask how much money I'm carrying, that's one of
their common questions, in addition to what do I do for a living and
where is my source of income when I'm not working.

S.

On Oct 9, 9:27 pm, Greg Rozelle wrote:
Just a tip. Some Interac cards can work on the NYCE network. If
the terminal ask, choose atm/debit card. Then enter your pin.

Other Interac can work at merchant that take Maestro or Visa plus. If
the terminal ask, choose atm/debit card. Then enter your pin. The
Maestro or Visa plus logo will be on your card.

Your bank can tell you if your card will work on the NYCE or Maestro
or plus/interlink network or if you can upgrade your card to work in
the U.S.

I have read some banks block pin purchase through the Maestro or the
Visa plus networks.

Note, If some places do not take NYCE atm or Maestro atm network. It
still might work because they have shared agreements.

Maestro network is limited in the U.S.

Visa plus/interlink network are combined in the U.S.

Wal-mart take most networks for your info.

Greg Rozelle

Old October 10th, 2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"paula" wrote in message
newsLvOi.14681$JA3.11075@edtnps89...
Anyone has any comments in general on the attitude of the border guards
coming from Canada; so the US guards? Is there something about Windsor we
do not know?

I've crossed the border returning from Canada both by the Ambassador Bridge
and through the tunnel and have found them to be courteous and efficient
every time in the last 25 years. Nor did I notice any change after 9/11.
KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
PeterL wrote:

The last sentence is exactly the reason why your brother is hassled.
They don't like it when someone just drive thru the country to save
some miles. So they want to make sure your brother don't do that
anymore. It has nothing to do with geography knowledge.

Why should it be a problem? Bear in mind that Americans are under the
impression that they are a free country,

Oh please. That don't mean anyone can just come in and out freely.
Just go down to the Mexican border crossing and you'll see that your
brother's problem is totally minor. Try being a Mexican and telling a
border guard that you are just driving through.

Just so I know...... what are valid reasons to enter the US if simply
travelling through it to save time and money is not?

- shopping and trying to save a few bucks?
- going to a restaurant because you want to try something different?
- watching a hockey game because the arena is closer than the nearest
Canadian team's home ice?
- going south for vacation because it is warmer in winter?

When exactly did the US turn into a police state where border officials get
to decide whether or not foreigners have a good enough excuse to step foot
in the US? It is not like they are flooding in and staying illegally like
they do from Mexico.

Keep your ****ing yap shut--you are embarrassing REAL Canadians.

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
Greg Rozelle wrote:

Oh please. That don't mean anyone can just come in and out freely.
Just go down to the Mexican border crossing and you'll see that your
brother's problem is totally minor. Try being a Mexican and telling a
border guard that you are just driving through.

What about people from the USA going to Alaska there is no
difference? There really no other way to drive to Alaska.

He would probably consider that to be a different case because it suits
Americans.

Give it a ****ING REST and STFU, asshole. You are embarrassing other Canadians.

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"jdoe" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:28:00 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

PeterL wrote:

heavy traffic congestion in, through and out of Toronto. He figures it
saves him at least an hour. He always gets hassled about the border, not
just that they don't understand how it can be shorter, but as if taking a
short cut through the US is not a valid excuse to enter the country

The last sentence is exactly the reason why your brother is hassled.
They don't like it when someone just drive thru the country to save
some miles. So they want to make sure your brother don't do that
anymore. It has nothing to do with geography knowledge.

Why should it be a problem? Bear in mind that Americans are under the
impression that they are a free country, and a person driving through a
portion of the US to get from one point in Ontario to another point in
Ontario should be no more of a problem than someone driving through the US
to get from Canada to Mexico. From my brother's account of the hassles the
worst part seemed to be getting them to understand the geography. They just
didn't accept that it is shorter to slip below Lake Ontario from his place
than to go all the way around the and of the lake. In fact, online mapping
services give that route. Then there is the traffic to deal with in
Toronto. If you leave here between 7 and 9 am you are looking out heavy
traffic for at least 30 miles going into Toronto, which can add 2 hours or
more to the trip.

it all has to do with canuckistan's very liberal policy towards
immigration, the canucks allow just about anyone to move in regardless
of the immigrants history and the US is quite afraid of the
undesirables who are using canuckistan as entry point to the US.
so because the US border agents are extra vigilant, all the residents
of canuckistan are suffering from canuckistan's open borders when
dealing with the US officials at border crossings.

Yes, I am one Canadian who agrees with your assessment. The more DIFFERENT an prospective immigrant to
Canada is from a WASP, the more likely they are to have their application approved. ****ing LIEbrawls and
NDPers WANT more immigration because most immigrants from Third World nations vote LIEbrawl or NDP once
they become citizens. It's really all about politics and getting and staying in power.

Never argue with an idiot.
They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Dave Smith" wrote in message ...
jdoe wrote:

[...]

Like those 9/11 hijackers that some jackasses still believe had snuck into
the US from Canada the night before? Those guys were there for months
ahead of time. They had passports and visas.

What you seem to be telling me is that if I wanted to cross the border here
to slip up to the south side of the lake on my way to Ottawa or Montreal
your border nazis would have reasonable grounds to suspect that we might
really be planning on staying illegally and taking advantage of your
wonderful health care system, or perhaps carry out a terrorist attack, but
if I told them that I travelling to Florida to visit Disney Land or some
other cultural mecca I would not have ulterior motive.

Shut. the. ****. UP, ignorant asshole, and stop embarrassing TRUE Canadians.

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Greg Rozelle" wrote in message

Like those 9/11 hijackers that some jackasses still believe had snuck into
the US from Canada the night before? Those guys were there for months
ahead of time. They had passports and visas.
wonderful health care system, or perhaps carry out a terrorist attack, but
if I told them that I travelling to Florida to visit Disney Land or some
other cultural mecca I would not have ulterior motive.

For reference, Florida is Disney World, California is Disney Land.

Dave Smith, asshole that he is, would be the FIRST to criticize Americans for not having a detailed
knowledge of Canadian geography, however, when it happens to be reversed...well, THAT's something
different, eh?

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Alohacyberian" wrote in message
"paula" wrote in message
newsLvOi.14681$JA3.11075@edtnps89...
Anyone has any comments in general on the attitude of the border guards
coming from Canada; so the US guards? Is there something about Windsor
we do not know?

I've crossed the border returning from Canada both by the Ambassador
Bridge and through the tunnel and have found them to be courteous and
efficient every time in the last 25 years. Nor did I notice any change
after 9/11. KM

Keith -

Just a reminder that you still have not answered my basic question:

"Do you agree that a maker of a statement is accountable for that
statement? A simple 'yes' or 'no' from you will suffice."

But - I will note - no Keith Martin of non sequiturs, red herrings, and ad
hominems this time. And no six year old kid's "Yes or no. KM" either.
Just a one day of the old Alvin Toda of ducking back under that rock to
emerge today with a small flurry of posts. So tell us - do you hold
yourself accountable for your post here? Or are you just flapping your
mouth (fingers) just for the sake of flapping your mouth (fingers)? And -
unfortunately - amidst all these posts of yours today, nowhere can an answer
to my question be found as you continue to duck it.

Quack, quack.

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Greg Rozelle" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:27:28 GMT, "sharx35"
wrote:

Keep your yap shut--you are embarrassing REAL Canadians.

I see his point. If it shorter to go through the U.S. it should be
allowed. Just like it allowed for U.S. to got to Alaska through
Canada.. Same if Canadians is going to Mexico. They should be
allowed to drive through the U.S. to get there.

Greg Rozelle

Greg, regardless, I know whiny types like Dave Smith. They often take an anti-American stance on almost
ANY given issue. They usually live in Ontario or Quebec or in major urban areas outside Ontario such as
Vancouver or Victoria. They are to be ignored--they do NOT represent thinking Canadians who value their
neighbours south of the 49th!!

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

wrote:

Keep your yap shut--you are embarrassing REAL Canadians.

I see his point. If it shorter to go through the U.S. it should be
allowed. Just like it allowed for U.S. to got to Alaska through
Canada.. Same if Canadians is going to Mexico. They should be
allowed to drive through the U.S. to get there.

Greg Rozelle

Greg, regardless, I know whiny types like Dave Smith. They often take an anti-American stance on almost
ANY given issue. They usually live in Ontario or Quebec or in major urban areas outside Ontario such as
Vancouver or Victoria. They are to be ignored--they do NOT represent thinking Canadians who value their
neighbours south of the 49th!!

Do venomous toads like you ever have anything intelligent to contribute?
Are you capable of reasoned argument or do you just post your insults
because you feel better after venting?