Importing Fish to the UK

Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sapphyre

Default Importing Fish to the UK

This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

Depends where you're coming from.
Have a look at
http://importdetails.defra.gov.uk/De...dule=IDDSearch

Actually, smoked salmon is no longer that expensive in the UK. Much is now
produced from farmed salmon.
The difference in taste between smoked wild salmon and smoked farmed salmon
is minimal.

Gerry

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

Smoked salmon is no longer expensive in the UK.

Importing food, especially animal products, from outside the EC into the EC
is not a trivial matter either.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:06:33 +0530 schrieb William Black:

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

Smoked salmon is no longer expensive in the UK.

Importing food, especially animal products, from outside the EC into the EC
is not a trivial matter either.

At least for Germany I can say that fish is not a problem. A friend from
Canada always brings a few pounds of smoked salmon when she comes to visit,
and it was never a problem bringing it.

Whats critical is meat, because it could transmit animal-diseases to other
livestock, so you will have trouble importing pork or beef or chicken.
Salmon (and fish in genral) is unlikely to be a problem, as you won't take
your smoked salmon to swim in a life fish pond ;-)

AFAIK fish also don't really suffer from highly contaigeous diseases that
can spread by their meat.

Live fish is a different story:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/fishfarm/trade.htm

Look at FAQ No. 28, concerning the salmon:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/ille...ics/faq.htm#28

"Q28. I am travelling from Canada with two friends. Am I allowed to carry 3
kilograms (1kg each) of smoked salmon for all three of us?
A. Yes, but the smoked salmon must be with the traveller, so if three
friends arrived at HMRC together and one of them had 3 kilograms of smoked
salmon they would be allowed 1 kilogram per person even though the total
was carried by one person.

However, if one person had 3 kilograms of smoked salmon and said that it
was for their friends who were travelling later or who had already cleared
from the same flight that wouldn't be allowed as the goods are not with the
passengers."

Regards,

Frank
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

In general, it is fresh rather than preserved produce that carries
restrictions. This is a link to a search engine on the DEFRA web site, which
gives you the definitive answer for any product from any country:

http://importdetails.defra.gov.uk/

However, as others have said, smoked salmon is not particularly expensive in
the UK.

Colin Bignell

Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Sapphyre" wrote in message
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

In general, it is fresh rather than preserved produce that carries
restrictions. This is a link to a search engine on the DEFRA web site,
which gives you the definitive answer for any product from any country:

http://importdetails.defra.gov.uk/

However, as others have said, smoked salmon is not particularly expensive
in the UK.

Colin Bignell

you could send some from UK it arrives overnight in a cool pack,
www.ardtaraigfinefoods.co.uk
www.thefishsociety.co.uk i have sent it this way a few times and it has
been well recieved

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish?

Actually, smoked salmon is no longer that expensive in the UK. Much
is now produced from farmed salmon.
The difference in taste between smoked wild salmon and smoked farmed
salmon is minimal.

The difference is not minimal to me, and genuine wild salmon contains
far less chemicals.

Supermarket farmed salmon is cheap in the UK, but almost anybody here
would appreciate a gift of Canadian wild salmon.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article
,
Sapphyre writes
This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some smoked
salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly there. I read that
meats and animal products are banned, but does that include fish? I'd
rather not bring it if I'm not supposed to, but would like a more
conclusive answer.

I brought 1k of smoked salmon from Pike Place Market in Seattle into the
UK no problem. That was back in 1995. It's smoked differently here than
there and tastes much different, which made it worth bringing home.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

congokid wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:18:06 +0000:

c In article
c ps.com, Sapphyre writes
?? This might sound kind of dumb... but I want to bring some
?? smoked salmon to my host in the UK, since it's so costly
?? there. I read that meats and animal products are banned,
?? but does that include fish? I'd rather not bring it if I'm
?? not supposed to, but would like a more conclusive answer.

c I brought 1k of smoked salmon from Pike Place Market in
c Seattle into the UK no problem. That was back in 1995. It's
c smoked differently here than there and tastes much
c different, which made it worth bringing home. --

One variant among smoked salmon preparations is the wood used. I
think it's often oak in Scotland and a lot of the US but alder
wood is very common in the Pacific Northwest and it's different
but very good!
I think that's what the Indians used.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article WcKlj.17426$LN4.17210@trnddc07, James Silverton
writes
congokid wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:18:06 +0000:

cIt's
c smoked differently here than there and tastes much
c different, which made it worth bringing home. --

One variant among smoked salmon preparations is the wood used. I think
it's often oak in Scotland and a lot of the US but alder wood is very
common in the Pacific Northwest and it's different but very good!

I believe a higher temperature is used in the smoking processes such
that with alder, smoking is hot and the meat is cooked whereas with oak
it is cold and the meat is cured though virtually raw.