booking on third party travel sites

Old May 29th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Jeff

Default booking on third party travel sites

Just a tip.
Sometime ago I booked flights for my wife and myself with Flight Centre (
www.travelthere.com) An $8 credit card fee was charged.We decided to change
our travel plans so we requested a credit. FC told me that I would have to
approach the airline ( Virgin Blue) for this.

I approached VB who happily gave me a credit less $60 fee, no problem with
that. They also charged me a credit fee of $8 to do this..ouch that hurts,
being charged a credit card fee twice.

I phoned them both as it appeared to be an automatic process and that some
sense would prevail after I spoke to someone. No no, both parties were
unbending and both decided that the credit card fee was justified. Surely
these companies have a business arrangement between themselves.

I really have no complaint as it was in their terms and conditions but it
just seemed wrong.Ok So i have learnt, I will only book directly with the
airline in the future, the $8 overcharge is not a lot of money however I
thought it was worth a few calls to argue the point. Bye bye FC.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/surfoz
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Keith W

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

I sympathise with your problem and with a low cost airline
it is usually better to book direct with the airline but be aware
that with the majors consolidators often provide a far better
deal than booking direct.

Keith

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Jeff

"Keith W" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

I don't believe that is the case. From my research online airlines are the
same price as the majors.

regards
jeff

Old May 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Keith W

"Jeff" wrote in message

I sympathise with your problem and with a low cost airline
it is usually better to book direct with the airline but be aware
that with the majors consolidators often provide a far better
deal than booking direct.

Keith
Keith

I don't believe that is the case. From my research online airlines are
the same price as the majors.

Who mentioned the majors ?

Next Saturday I will be flying business class to Canada on Air Canada
at a price thats around 25% lower than the best deal I could get
with AC direct, and believe me I checked.

That ticket was booked through a major UK consolidator
who has got me similar deals in the past LHR-SYD via Emirates and
Gulf Air

I specified 'consolidators' as they buy tickets from the airlines at a
price considerably below the bst value those same airlines offer
through their web sites. These deals usually require booking well in
advance and are typically fairly inflexible but for the leisure traveller
can provide excellent value for money.

Keith

Old May 30th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Jeff

"Keith W" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

I see, how do I get to research these 'consolidators'?

Regards
Jeff

Old May 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Keith W

"Jeff" wrote in message

I specified 'consolidators' as they buy tickets from the airlines at a
price considerably below the bst value those same airlines offer
through their web sites. These deals usually require booking well in
advance and are typically fairly inflexible but for the leisure traveller
can provide excellent value for money.

Keith

I see, how do I get to research these 'consolidators'?

Regards
Jeff

A good starting point is a google search for

airline consolidators australia

In the UK I mostly use Trailfinders who have an Australian
branch. They never have the best deals on the web site so call them.
They are particlarly good for first and business class travel.

http://www.trailfinders.com.au/index.htm

A company I havent dealt with but have heard of is Cyber Air Broker
http://www.airdiscounter.com/

and
http://www.flightcentre.com.au/

The usual rules about dealing only with ASFA/IATA bonded agents still
applies
of course, there are LOTS of sharks out there.

Keith