Food in Greece

Old June 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

Default Food in Greece

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
grusl wrote:

It's very touristy but the Sholarhio in Plaka dishes up some great food
in
the shadow of the Acropolis. Mind you, I like food and there's very
little
I won't eat.

Just checked it online for an image, and I've been there. I remember
liking it. Think it was a guide book recommendation...

Yes, I think it was an LP recommendation that sent me there. Eating in
Athens was a joy but off-season Mykonos and Syros yielded far leaner
pickings, unsurprisingly.

Cheers,

George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

grusl wrote:

It's very touristy but the Sholarhio in Plaka dishes up some great food
in
the shadow of the Acropolis. Mind you, I like food and there's very
little
I won't eat.

Just checked it online for an image, and I've been there. I remember
liking it. Think it was a guide book recommendation...

Yes, I think it was an LP recommendation that sent me there. Eating in
Athens was a joy but off-season Mykonos and Syros yielded far leaner
pickings, unsurprisingly.

I lost my vegetarianism in Athens. I've got very fond memories of some
of the restaurants there!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl

grusl wrote:

I lost my vegetarianism in Athens. I've got very fond memories of some
of the restaurants there!

Well, there's pretty much everything offered from veg fare to fish, meat and
that wonderful fried cheese. I liked it all. And choosing from the
pre-cooked offerings on the plate reminded me of masakan Padang, another of
my fave cuisines. Can you get that in Amsterdam?

And I see Sholarhio is actually in Anafiotika, not Plaka, but it's only a
stone's throw.

Cheers,

George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , d4g4h4
@yahoo.co.uk says...

This is our first trip to Greece and the culinary experience hasn't so
far been satisfactory. It seems that the food in Greece (at least the
one offered in the restaurants catering to tourists) is heavily tilted
towards meat and fat (and quite pricey also - in Porto Heli they charged
us 28 Euro for a dish of seafood spaghetti).

For one dish? Even in expensive UK, that would be very rare- though I'm
sure some of the very expensive restaurants could mangage it...

That was a dish of seafood spaghetti for two. Was shown with a price of
14 Euro on the menu card with an asterisk, below was mentioned "for two
people", so we assumed 14 Euro for two. But no, it was 14 Euro/person,
min. two people. Almost twice as expensive as in Italy.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rudolph Hucker

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
. ..
This is our first trip to Greece and the culinary experience hasn't so
far been satisfactory. It seems that the food in Greece (at least the
one offered in the restaurants catering to tourists) is heavily tilted
towards meat and fat (and quite pricey also - in Porto Heli they charged
us 28 Euro for a dish of seafood spaghetti). Lots of grilled and
fat/oily stuff, low on vegetables. Meat, meat and more meat...

The grilled meat we received was almost always partially burnt, i.e. the
parts of the meat touching the grill were carbonised. This has happened
in almost every restaurant where we have been so far. It's as if people
here don't care if the meat ends up being carbonised. I doubt it is
healthy eating carbonised stuff. Then souvlaki is served with fried
potatoes and this leads me to my next point.

Fat/oily food: dishes were low on carbohydrates, but high on fats and
proteines. We tried to escape the meat/fat trap and ordered pasta. Well,
most of the time the pasta was overcooked and sigh, almost invariably,
heavy on cream and cheese. We had spaghetti carbonara in Athens full of
cream and cheese and as a consequence could not finish the dish. In
Argos they served us spaghetti again overloaded with cream and cheese.
They even put cheese on the rice.

It seems that the only healthy thing to eat in Greece is salad and
bread. But even here things can go wrong: in one case they served a
mixed salad covered with a thick layer of mayonnaise, with pieces of
cheese and ham. Sigh.
--

Alfred Molon

I went to Greece - 1974 - looks like the cuisine hasn't changed much. (

Just a small point - depending on the cleanliness of the water supply,
salads can be one of the best ways to acquire a nasty disease. Remember what
they wash salad in? Yes, tap water.

For top quality cuisine, go to Italy. Their food is treated almost like a
religion. It is the base of so-called French haute-cuisine, except all the
French did was to add all their heavy sauces.