Perceptions of Americans

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:03 AM
jcoulter

Default Perceptions of Americans

(Porkchop Express) wrote in
om:

so.. i'll be travelling to europe this summer (france, UK, spain).
being AMERICAN i'm expecting to get hated on, in a major way (nuff
'spect to e40). personally, i choose to shoot that drama to the left
and just be on some "when in rome.." sh*t. HOWEVER, do ya think it'd
make a difference if i'm (1st generation) american born CHINESE?
wouldn't i come off FRESHER than your typical white boy american and
just be another CHINK in their european eyes?? it would be interesting
to get some feedback from local french, british, spanish, euro peeps.
do ya think there's less hate on americans who don't "look" the
Conventional American on first impression?

Assuming you are for real, let me as an American who travels to Europe a
lot assure you that I have never had any problem with my nationality. I
travel mainly to France and find that the French as a rule are much too
polite to point out political differences. I suspect that if I were to wear
a T-shirt proclaiming my undying faith in the policies of George Bush, I
would find it hard to make headway in social situations, but the
shopkeepers would take my money and not get in my face-though what they
said afterward . . . Thing is I don't do that I mind my manners and have
had good relations with Europeans.

So leave your attitude at home and life will be good. you get what you give
and if you are projecting defensiveness or discomfort your prophecy will be
rewarded.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Porkchop Express

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Porkchop Express" wrote ...
| so.. i'll be travelling to europe this summer (france, UK, spain).
| being AMERICAN i'm expecting to get hated on, in a major way (nuff
| 'spect to e40).

Is that a London postal area?

e40 is a beloved BAY AREA hiphop artist who is responsible for 88% of
all the "rap" colloquialisms being used in the culture

| personally, i choose to shoot that drama to the left
| and just be on some "when in rome.." sh*t. HOWEVER, do ya think it'd
| make a difference if i'm (1st generation) american born CHINESE?

Oh no. You'll be recognised as American Chinese. We do have lots of British
Chinese here you know, as well as many Chinese Chinese and Hong Kong Chinese
students and expatriates, and we can tell the difference.

| wouldn't i come off FRESHER than your typical white boy american and
| just be another CHINK in their european eyes??

No. Europeans do subtle. And 'chink' is regarded as a derogatory term unless
applied to a carry-out meal.

yes i agree "chink" is derogatory. but i am one so i can say it. they
say "chink" for take-away meals? interesting

| it would be interesting to get some feedback from local french,
| british, spanish, euro peeps.
| do ya think there's less hate on americans who don't "look" the
| Conventional American on first impression?

Act like a prat, be treated like a prat. Nationality and appearance
irrelevant. If you want to try and blend in, lose weight and practice your
use of prepositions and phrasal verbs.

word up O. my mother agrees with the grammar lesson too

Owain

Old May 12th, 2004, 02:05 AM
cj

yes i agree "chink" is derogatory. but i am one so i can say it.

Do as you say, not as you do?
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Eloy van Herckenrode

"Colin McGarry" wrote in message ...
The way anybody is seen in France depends on their own attitude.
No frenchpeople would seek you out to be rude to you. But if you brush
people up the wrong way they will react accordingly then you'll say 'you see
they don't like us"
cpmac

www.cpmac.com/normandy

Difference is, as a US citizen you might get treated rudely from time
to time in some French backwater areas. Not likely, but it happens.

As a Frenchman, you might get treated to some frantic gunwaving (and
flagwaving) when asking for directions in the middle of nowhere (and
not getting any).

Old May 12th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Eloy van Herckenrode

"Owain" wrote in message ...
No. Europeans do subtle. And 'chink' is regarded as a derogatory term unless
applied to a carry-out meal.

Or a defect in one's armor.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:34 AM
emeryt

I'm fine with you. Providing one thing. When I ask you where you're
from, say the USA. DON'T say whatever state.

What's wrong with saying what state you are from?

It suggests something which I don't like the sound of. I do recognise
any US state but it just frustrates me.

I still don't understand you objection. What does it suggest that you
don't like the sound of?

I don't understand either. So if I say I'm from Hawaii, your
impression would be what?