Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Spartacus

Pete Platis wrote:

puzzled wrote in message

A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of
having to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed?
Someone explain this to me.

Well , hurricanes are one reason but Florida has a host of others to
stay away:
snip
2. Staggering humidity ( well not all of florida but anything south of the
tropical line is brutal)

So, how much of Florida is "south of the tropical line"?
What part of Florida is that?

Old September 5th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Pete Platis

"MarkT" wrote in message

"Pete Platis" wrote in message
ink.net...

10. FLORIDIANS ARE VOTING-MACHINE CHALLENGED.

I take issue with this one....the ones who are voting machine challenged

are
the transplanted New Yorkers and New Jersians (or whatever they call
themselves.) The natives do quite well.

Ok then prove it. Prove that the voters who screwed up were from NY or
NJ.

Also, why did you cross post? Very bad form.

If I cross posted, it was because I replied to someone who intentionally
put a plethora of newsgroups in his headers. If you see my initial response,
you will also see that it was a response to someone that crossposted. I
could have deleted his attempt at crossposting but I didn't notice it until
later on. All you have to do is go back in the thread and see for yourself
that what I just said is true.

Have a nice day.

Mark T.
(From, and currently living in Florida, if you haven't guessed.)

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Heather

6. Highest percentage of over 80 year olds behind the wheel of a
car.......THAT can't be a good thing.

Neither are the ones under the age of 21 (anywhere in the country for that
matter). I feel the driving age should be the same as drinking and gambling
age.

7. Alot of white trash, yeah I know that can be found in alot of states.
Just seems worse in Florida for some reason though.

No, the white trash crowd has formed a cult (similar to those deadheads who
followed concert tours around in search of drugs and overated music) and can
now be found anywhere NASCAR events take place.

9. Alligators coming into contact with people in or near their homes,
killing or maiming them and/or their pets. It's not a good thing. Been
happening more frequently too.

You left out the other reptiles - SNAKES. Which really come out to play during
and after significant weather events such as hurricanes.

-Heather
Remove CanOspam to email
http://members.aol.com/nookeybear/index1.htm

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Heather

A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really
don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

We actually only "live" in the state when visiting our boat which was safely
powered to a safe location far, far away from the reach of the current storm
days before landfall. If you had a chance to watch any coverage on television,
you can see why those who did not do the same did not fare as well. We saw HH
(a well known seasoned and local yacht master) do a great job trying to save an
owner's vessel in WPB by the Breakers on live TV Saturday, although the first
mate got cut up after the vessel made it's landing. There was also some live
feeds of Geraldo reporting on a blowboter in the ICW that was in a life
threatening situation. The question should not be "Why do people live in
Florida?", but rather, why do some people that are in Florida during this storm
(and others) not use more common sense?

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Heather

Once in awhile a person from Massachusetts will cross the border,
they're even worse. We call them Massholes!

New Yorkers, Massholes and French Canadians are the worst (in terms of rude,
underskilled and aggressive) drivers. Country wide, any driver under the age of
21 and over the age of 65 are among the most dangerous.

Old September 5th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Heather

That was the best answer yet. :-)

scoutdream wrote:

Because we don't have the expense of airfare to get to the cruise
terminals

Actually, those who live in Florida make up one of the smallest fraction of
folks who cruise on large commercial cruise lines.

Old September 5th, 2004, 06:28 PM
MsPatty4

Someone explain
this to me.

Because they don't have to fly to the cruise ports

~ Patty

"Life isn't supposed to be easy,
it's supposed to be worth it"