Pickpocket spotted in action

Old April 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Keith W

"J. B. Books" wrote in message

So, let me get this straight. If you ever saw a pickpocket

red-handed, would

you actually try to physically detain them and call the authorities,
especially in a foreign country where language could be a barrier.

Hi,

If I was the target I would not bother trying to "call the authorities".

I'd just decide it was "a good day to kick somebody's ass".

In europe I carry a switchblade and a set of brass knuckles (get a new set
each trip) just like when I was "with it" in the US.

Thats a good way to spend your vacation in jail, in the UK
you WILL be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon
if found with these in your possession and using them will
is likely to get you a longish stretch for GBH

I really hope you like porridge

Keith

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Mxsmanic

J. B. Books writes:

In europe I carry a switchblade and a set of brass knuckles (get a new
set each trip) just like when I was "with it" in the US.

That's illegal in France without a permit.

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Mxsmanic

J. B. Books writes:

had an attempted "dip" in amsterdam once....I felt the tug and partner
spotted the dip... being a couple of American "John Wayne" types the
dip became the prey... after "greeting him" and "patting him down"
(with the brass knuckles I'd picked up in paris) he decided to go
swimming in the canal.... strange day for it considering it was october...

How virile!

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Peter Ginsberg

Man, how do you do it? You have a sharper mind than that guy in the
"Princess Bride" (inconceivable!) and the machismo of John Wayne in
"Rio Bravo" . What a strange little fantasy world you live in. Long
Live the Duke!!!.

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Peter Ginsberg

Ya know pal, I'm not a particularly big guy - only 6 ft, 180 lbs - but
I have never had any problems with anyone in my 35 years of traveling
to Europe. I attribute it to attitude and demeaner. I'm not big
enough to throw any weight around, yet I don't shrink from looking
people in the eye when it's appropriate. I don't take it personally
when someone tries to scam me. I figure it's happening because I'm
pretty well off in relation to the person who is trying to scam. I
expect it to happen occasionally and when it does, I usually wave it
off with a look or a smile. Never been "hit" yet. Although I may
carry a knife with me (and it gets to be a smaller and smaller knife
as I get older.), I would never have considered B. knuckles. What a
strange, disagreeable, ignorant boor you are. Good Luck and goodbye.

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Dave Smith

Peter Ginsberg wrote:

expect it to happen occasionally and when it does, I usually wave it
off with a look or a smile. Never been "hit" yet. Although I may
carry a knife with me (and it gets to be a smaller and smaller knife
as I get older.), I would never have considered B. knuckles. What a
strange, disagreeable, ignorant boor you are. Good Luck and goodbye.

Well, you have to wonder about the "John Wayne" types who think they need to
carry brass knuckles. Some guys can't be a man unless they are somehow armed and
get a chance to let someone know about it.

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Bill Moore

In article , Tomas wrote:

snippety snip
It's bad enough that bands like this prey on innocent people, but it's
particularly distasteful when they prey on those who have stopped to help
them.

I remember seeing a similar performance in Rome railway station 10
years ago. Why don;t the police round them up and deport them?

The police do. The way it works in Italy is that the police know exactly
where they live work etc and where they come from. They then go and do deals
with the airlines back to their home countries and when they can negotiate a
block of cheap seats, they go and round up enough immigrants to fill those
seats.

Do they let the obese ones have 2 seats?

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:56 PM
J. B. Books

If I was the target I would not bother trying to "call the authorities".

I'd just decide it was "a good day to kick somebody's ass".

In europe I carry a switchblade and a set of brass knuckles (get a new set
each trip) just like when I was "with it" in the US.

Thats a good way to spend your vacation in jail, in the UK
you WILL be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon
if found with these in your possession and using them will
is likely to get you a longish stretch for GBH

Hi,

GBH?

the UK cops just don't expect a "middle-class" gimp like myself to be
armed (of course neither do the pickpockets and similar thugs) so I
don't get searched.

the burglars in the UK don't expect to get SHOT DEAD when committing a
burglar of an occuppied dwelling... here they do... so it's a rare
rare crime.

but that's one of the differences between the US and UK.

if more people resisted the criminals there'd be fewer criminals.
Old April 26th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Peter Ginsberg

Yeah, I think so. A lot of guide books warn against pickpockets going
into your day pack. I personally, have little use for the day pack.
It's just an excuse to lug around a lot of mostly useless stuff and it
marks one for a tourist.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:05:09 -0700, poldy wrote:

In article ,
(LordAvalon) wrote:

So when visiting touristic places (everywhere in the world) just
remember to keep watchful and not to have open bags, wallets in the
back pocket of your pants...

That why a lot of people wear their backpacks in the front, over their
chest?