GGC2007: Request For Bids

Old April 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default GGC2007: Request For Bids

Gary W wrote:
Thanks, Nonnymous (my feelings are in good shape, thank you ) ..
and everyone else who posted.
Yes, in hindsight it's pretty easy to see how the TAs might shy away
from such a 'restrictive' RFB and maybe I / we didn't make it clear
enough that the results were 'preferences' and not mandates.

Gary, let me emphasize that it was not apparent to ANYONE
and not just this year's Committee, that there would be a
problem. If ANYONE had spotted the potential problem, they
would have mentioned it. I still think it'd be fun to pass
the voting list around to the Committee, and look at the
votes for the Fort Lauderdale selection to see if they can
identify the people who voted and who might be newcomers or
strangers to r.t.c. or the GGC's in general. My third sense
(I don't have as many as a normal person) tells me that one
or two people got enthusiastic and got every cousin, friend,
acquaintenance, club member, neighbor and car pool buddy
involved in voting the way he wanted it to go.

I know that Mrs. Nonnymus and I really, really want to go on
another GGC. I also know that the good people I visit with
from r.t.c. want to go on a GGC next year. In an earlier
post, I mentioned how we need to emphasize to the TA
community that we're a GROUP of people who like to go on a
group cruise after the first of each year, but that we ALSO
TAKE OTHER CRUISES. Putting together a group cruise for us
is a profitable thing for a TA, as it should be. However,
it is also a good source of further business if the job is
done right. All of us have been on other cruises, and will
go on more in the future. If they do right by us on a GGC,
they should take comfort that they will also receive future
business not only from us, but from people who read r.t.c.
and people we recommend to them.

Let me expand just a tad more on the thoughts for future
GGC's that I posted yesterday. I based many of my thoughts
on what I've seen in the cruises put together by George
Leppla and also Lori Cunningham. They parallel the GGC's in
that many of our r.t.c. contributors are attracted to them,
and they have all the elements of a GGC, with the exception
of input by r.t.c. folks about how, when and where. That is
selected by their view of what's available and the
marketplace. I have never talked to George about this, but
firmly believe that he and Lori have drawn on their
experiences with past GGC's to refine their MOAGC and also
George's incredible Sleazy cruises.

Instead of polling people about his next group cruise,
George draws upon what he reads in the trades and what his
customers are saying and buying. He already knows that they
want a party or two, like to have an MC, like a few little
gifts, want transportation to/from the pier/airport/hotel,
want pre and post cruise hotel recommendations and maybe a
hospitality suite, etc. When he puts up a web site for his
cruise, it's a done deal, as they say. You look at the web
site, say, "Cool, here's my deposit," or "No way," and get
on with your life, so to speak. If George screws up, is
unhelpful, becomes high toned, picks a bad cruise or port,
he either doesn't get sales or he loses future business.

We all have learned from this. In the future, I suspect
that it will become less formal and more "good old boy
club," again. That seems to work. Let the past Chairman
nominate one of his Committee members in Jan. or Feb, to be
Chair for 2008 and let that Chairman select a 4-member
Committee. Do it all on r.t.c. and if there are howls from
the nasty people, ignore them. Let the Committee talk up and
"listen" to r.t.c. about GGC 2008, but also let the TA's
listen as well. Go offline and ask the good TA's in r.t.c.
what they think and then let the Committee pick one they
trust put together a GGC. If the Committee doesn't like it,
get the TA to modify it a little, or get another TA.
However, let it be a unilateral decision of the Committee,
without outside input. SURPRISE r.t.c. with the
announcement of where and when after a web site has been put
up by the TA.

I still hold out hope for GGC2007. In my own life, I've had
good laid plans fall apart, only to resurface with something
bigger and better. I bet that GGC2007 will be the same way.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Nonnymus

Old April 24th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Nonnymous,

Thank you so much ! I can tell you that I have really enjoyed a very
high level of support from everyone I have touched bases with so far in
this process. I can also spill a bean or two and say that things are
looking a bit different than they were a few days ago. We will have
something to work with soon, and I anticipate a good thing coming out
of this process. ... aside from the education (grin).

Old April 25th, 2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Gary W wrote:

I can also spill a bean or two and say that things are
looking a bit different than they were a few days ago. We will have
something to work with soon, and I anticipate a good thing coming out
of this process. ...

I am waiting impatiently(grin). Glad to hear that things are looking
up now.

sue

Old April 25th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Gary W wrote:
Nonnymous,

Thank you so much ! I can tell you that I have really enjoyed a very
high level of support from everyone I have touched bases with so far in
this process. I can also spill a bean or two and say that things are
looking a bit different than they were a few days ago. We will have
something to work with soon, and I anticipate a good thing coming out
of this process. ... aside from the education (grin).

Mrs. Nonnymus and i are holding our breath. We really want
to go on the next GGC if possible.

Nonnymus
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Mark and Gloria Hagwood wrote:

Gary W wrote:

Nonnymous,

Thank you so much ! I can tell you that I have really enjoyed a very
high level of support from everyone I have touched bases with so far in
this process. I can also spill a bean or two and say that things are
looking a bit different than they were a few days ago. We will have
something to work with soon, and I anticipate a good thing coming out
of this process. ... aside from the education (grin).

Mrs. Nonnymus and i are holding our breath. We really want to go on the
next GGC if possible.

Nonnymus

Ooops. Somebody goofed. Misspelled the name. :-)
Old May 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The Bidding for the GGC2007 has Closed.

I am pleased to report that there are now a total of seven (7) Bids
submitted for consideration.

The committee will begin the selection process and announce the winning
bid in one week or less.

Thanks so much to the TAs that submitted, for their work in preparing
the bids, and the support they have shown the GGC.

Thanks also to all the RTC folks that have supported the GGC and the
committe. It looks like it's going to pay off!

Gary W. (up late, and with some more work to do )

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Gary W wrote:
The Bidding for the GGC2007 has Closed.

I am pleased to report that there are now a total of seven (7) Bids
submitted for consideration.

The committee will begin the selection process and announce the winning
bid in one week or less.

I am glad you got so many bids and can't wait to find out where we are
going. I hope it works out that we will be going on our first GGC this
coming year!!

sue
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
"Gary W" wrote:

The Bidding for the GGC2007 has Closed.

I am pleased to report that there are now a total of seven (7) Bids
submitted for consideration.

The committee will begin the selection process and announce the winning
bid in one week or less.

Thanks so much to the TAs that submitted, for their work in preparing
the bids, and the support they have shown the GGC.

Thanks also to all the RTC folks that have supported the GGC and the
committe. It looks like it's going to pay off!

Gary W. (up late, and with some more work to do )

Gary and committee, thanks for hanging in there this year. It had to be
frustrating.

To the TA's that bid, thanks also for being there and submitting bids.

I'm patiently waiting to see what comes out...

Lloyd
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Gary W wrote:
The Bidding for the GGC2007 has Closed.

I am pleased to report that there are now a total of seven (7) Bids
submitted for consideration.

The committee will begin the selection process and announce the winning
bid in one week or less.

Thanks so much to the TAs that submitted, for their work in preparing
the bids, and the support they have shown the GGC.

Thanks also to all the RTC folks that have supported the GGC and the
committe. It looks like it's going to pay off!

Gary W. (up late, and with some more work to do )

Gary, our thanks go out to you and the Committee for doing
double duty this year. I also strongly suggest that after
the GGC is announced, that you (with their permission) post
the names of the travel agents who stepped up, did the work,
and posted bids for the GGC. We need to thank them for
pulling our collective irons out of the fire.

Nonnymus
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article qn57g.175263$bm6.101192@fed1read04,
Nonnymus wrote:

Gary W wrote:
[...]

I'm with you on this. It isn't necessary to put up what all the bids
are, but I sure want to know which TAs participated. If for nothing
else but to thank them.

Lloyd