cairo to luxor

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:04 PM
kay

Default cairo to luxor

Im planning a break to Egypt, I know i defintely want to go to Cairo
and also want somewhere a bit more laid back and i thought of Luxor.
Can anyone advise the cheapest way of doing this. I thought about
flying to luxor on a package deal and then maybe getting an internal
flight to Cairo - anyone have a rough idea on costs? I know to travel
by road would take too long.
thanks
Old September 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM
David Horne

kay wrote:

Im planning a break to Egypt, I know i defintely want to go to Cairo
and also want somewhere a bit more laid back and i thought of Luxor.
Can anyone advise the cheapest way of doing this. I thought about
flying to luxor on a package deal and then maybe getting an internal
flight to Cairo - anyone have a rough idea on costs? I know to travel
by road would take too long.

Well, Egypt isn't Europe, so you might want to try another group.

I've only ever flown between the two cities. It's a spectacular view-
the fertile land around the Nile stretches out like an emerald necklace,
in the desert. The train takes about 10 hours, but can be incredibly
cheap- about $8 one way, more or less depending on class of travel. I
wouldn't do it that way myself, but many people do, and I think it can
be very comfortable. Consider taking a cruise from Luxor to Aswan. Oh,
and another thing I'd recommend (which can be quite laid back, believe
it or not!) is to hire a bike and make your own way around the Valley of
the Kings. You wouldn't want to do this in the hotter months, but it's a
delightful experience in Winter.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old September 18th, 2003, 03:47 PM
nightjar

"kay" wrote in message
m...
Im planning a break to Egypt, I know i defintely want to go to Cairo
and also want somewhere a bit more laid back and i thought of Luxor.
Can anyone advise the cheapest way of doing this. I thought about
flying to luxor on a package deal and then maybe getting an internal
flight to Cairo - anyone have a rough idea on costs? I know to travel
by road would take too long.

There is a train between the two that is supposed to be an excellent way for
budget travellers.

Colin Bignell

Old September 18th, 2003, 07:54 PM
kay

thanksfor the info - i know Egypt is not in Europe but i did see other
postings here for countries outside Europe. Also i couldnot find
another newsgroup which might be more appropriate.
Old September 18th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Julio

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message ...
"kay" wrote in message
m...
Im planning a break to Egypt, I know i defintely want to go to Cairo
and also want somewhere a bit more laid back and i thought of Luxor.
Can anyone advise the cheapest way of doing this. I thought about
flying to luxor on a package deal and then maybe getting an internal
flight to Cairo - anyone have a rough idea on costs? I know to travel
by road would take too long.

There is a train between the two that is supposed to be an excellent way for
budget travellers.

Colin Bignell

Hello from Madrid.

I been there 3 years ago. The best, take a night train from Cairo to
Luxor, Is very cheap, no sleeper coach. Are first and second chairs.
In first only are 3 chairs for line!! Is the first class in planes.
From Luxor to Assuan, the same, a night train. Is very safe, I was
sleeping all the night.

Julio
Old September 18th, 2003, 09:55 PM
nightjar

"kay" wrote in message
m...
thanksfor the info - i know Egypt is not in Europe but i did see other
postings here for countries outside Europe. Also i couldnot find
another newsgroup which might be more appropriate.

Don't let it worry you. For most of the people who have been posting here
for a long time, the African countires bordering the Mediterranean are an
honorary part of Europe.

Colin Bignell

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Deep Freud Moors

nightjar .uk.com nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
. ..

"kay" wrote in message
m...
thanksfor the info - i know Egypt is not in Europe but i did see other
postings here for countries outside Europe. Also i couldnot find
another newsgroup which might be more appropriate.

Don't let it worry you. For most of the people who have been posting here
for a long time, the African countires bordering the Mediterranean are an
honorary part of Europe.

Of course folks that feel the need to demonstrate their geography skills
with the retort "(such and such) is not in Europe" are abundant here. I am
sure I am not the only one who knew those replies were coming as soon as
they saw the subject line. Predictable as a Big Mac. With the enormous
amount of off-topic stuff that is happily discussed here, why bother?
---
DFM

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Anders

kay wrote:

thanksfor the info - i know Egypt is not in Europe but i did see other
postings here for countries outside Europe. Also i couldnot find
another newsgroup which might be more appropriate.

Try the travel Africa group.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!
Old September 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM
David Horne

Deep Freud Moors wrote:

Of course folks that feel the need to demonstrate their geography skills
with the retort "(such and such) is not in Europe" are abundant here.

You're exaggerating unnecessarily here. There was only one post which
was rude. There's nothing wrong with suggesting the poster try
elsewhere, and if you actually post information relevant to the OP, I
think that'

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM
David Horne

Deep Freud Moors wrote:

Of course folks that feel the need to demonstrate their geography skills
with the retort "(such and such) is not in Europe" are abundant here.

Which is why most follow-ups answered the question, I suppose. There's
nothing wrong with pointing out the geography thing, and suggesting
people try elsewhere. It's helpful, in fact.

I am
sure I am not the only one who knew those replies were coming as soon as
they saw the subject line.

What "replies"? There was one like that:

David