2006 Hurricane Prediction Issued;

Old December 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default 2006 Hurricane Prediction Issued;

Remember, Grunge, you first heard if from me.

But clearly, it is still prudent to rule out the
Caribbean in the summer and come to Europe and visit
and spend your money. The Europeans appreciate your
coming.

****

2006 Hurricane Prediction Issued By Robert Roy Britt
LiveScience Managing Editor
posted: 06 December 2005
12:59 pm ET

Just days after the official close of the busiest Atlantic hurricane season
on record and with one hurricane still churning in the Atlantic, the first
2006 forecast is out already. To the surprise of no one it predicts an
active season.

There's some modestly good news, however.

"We foresee another very active Atlantic basin tropical cyclone season in
2006," states a report from a team including long-time forecasting guru
William Gray of Colorado State University. "However, we do not expect to
see as many landfalling major hurricanes in the United States as we have
experienced in 2004 and 2005."

This year, which was supposed to end Nov. 30, brought a record four major
hurricanes ashore in the United States. Today, Hurricane Epsilon was still
active in the Atlantic, though it does not threaten land.

Gray has been gazing into the crystal ball since 1984 to divine future
hurricane activity with remarkable accuracy. In today's statement, he said
he is letting colleague Philip Klotzbach take over the lead roll in the
prognostications.

The specifics

The 2006 forecast calls for:
17 named tropical storms ; an average season has 9.6.
9 hurricanes compared to the average of 5.9.
5 major hurricanes with winds exceeding 110 mph; average is 2.3.

Though these statistical predictions cannot portend when any of the storms
will form or where they will go, Klotzbach, Gray and colleagues calculate an
81 percent chance that at least one major hurricane will hit the U.S. coast
in 2006.

How the 2006 forecast compares:

*
2005 2006 Avg.

Tropical Storms
26 17 9.6

Hurricanes
13 9 5.9

Major Hurricanes
7 5 2.3

SOURCES: CSU, NOAA

The current series of busy seasons is part of a long-term cycle that
climatologists had predicted years ago. The Atlantic is in its 11th year of
heightened activity. It is expected to "continue for the the next decade or
perhaps longer," said officials with the National Weather Service last week.

The cycle typically involves two or more decades of lull and two or more
decades of high activity.

Stepping aside

In today's statement, presented as part of a scientific paper, the lead
author was for the first time Klotzbach, with Gray listed second.

"After 22 years of making these forecasts, it is appropriate that I step
back and have Phil Klotzbach assume the primary responsibility for our
projectıs seasonal, monthly and landfall probability forecasts," Gray said.

Gray plans to stay involved while also pursuing other work.

"Phil is now devoting more time to the improvement of these forecasts than I
am," he said. "I am now giving more of my efforts to the global warming
issue and in synthesizing my projectsı many years of hurricane and typhoon
studies."

The hurricane predictions are based on computer models, historical storms,
and data on global sea-surface temperatures, atmospheric conditions and
other factors. In recent years, the method has been adopted and adapted by
NOAA's National Hurricane Center, which makes its own long-term forecasts.

The forecast by Klotzbach's team will be revised April 4 and again May 31,
prior to the start of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season on June 1.
The Record-Setting 2005 Hurricane Season

Old December 7th, 2005, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

evleth has found nothing better now that he censored his pal cochon
An old friend from the past I believe.
Instead of infatuating yourself over subjects no one care about, tell us
more about your past, that should please you enough

Old December 7th, 2005, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Huh
You failed
Wait until martin comes and save that thread.