Travelling to India with a laptop?

Old December 5th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Dieter Aa

Default Travelling to India with a laptop?

"Aniket V." ...
OK,
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working out

there???

-Aniket-

just a plug
don't worry about the 110 - 240 V

If you want to use your laptop on an airplane 10 years old
Watch the frequency, indicated on the socket
Should be between 50- and 60 Hz

Do you also want to read your e-mail on your laptop ?
So do you want to dial-in with your modem over the (hotel)telephone ?

Old December 5th, 2003, 04:26 PM
DALing

just a cable with the proper ends (the power supply input is standard and
you can buy an adapter to make the US style cable fit the 220V outlet).
remember to switch the voltage (on the power supply) before you turn it on
"Aniket V." wrote in message
OK,
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working out

there???

-Aniket-

"JMS" wrote in message

"Rohit" wrote in message
Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of

travelling
with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and

FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to

buy
additional equipment?

You need to take a look at your power supply (probably that little box
attached to your power cable). This should state the power rating. If it

is
rated at 110V-240V then you should be OK, otherwise you will need

another
power supply.

2. Would my 56k modem and rj11 jack work in Indian telephone lines?

Yes it will but don't expect that you will get anywhere nearthe 56K you
currently enjoy.

3. Finally what sort of protective casing should I take to put the

laptop
in, as I'll be travelling through trains and perhaps buses?

If you are going to have the laptop stored with other luggage (and I

suggest
that you don't) then you should probably get some hard cased bag to

house
your laptop, otherwise any case is fine as 'carry-on'.

Thanks
Rohit

Old December 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Dieter Aa

"DALing" daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com...
just a cable with the proper ends (the power supply input is standard and
you can buy an adapter to make the US style cable fit ....

and what if she has a normal laptop (with a non-US plug) ?
She is probably living in Europe or Asia...

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:33 PM
DALing

well... why would they have asked about travel and mentioned the 120-240
switch? (assuming 110/120 V service and a switch - it wasn't clear if they
meant that the converter said "120/240 input" or was a switch) besides, it
doesn't hurt to give more info than they need. Some laptop power converters
(and "other" converters as well - my NiMH camera battery charger as an
example) use BOTH without needing to switch a switch - just plug it in and
it works. Since laptops on external power STILL utilise the battery as
primary power source (the converter acts as a charger and supplements the
battery) there might be a voltage lock built in to the charger/converter and
no switching necessary. IF that's the case, then all they need is a power
adapter plug.

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:40 PM
SD

She is probably living in Europe or Asia...

Aniket is a 'he' name

Old December 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM
SD

"JMS" wrote in message ...

"Rohit" wrote in message

Hi I am generally unfamiliar with laptops. But I was thinking of

travelling

with an old 486DX laptop to India. I need to use word, outlook, and FTP to
transfer files from my laptop to internet.

My questions:

1. Would the power supply for US laptops work in India? Do I need to buy
additional equipment?

no just a converter plug that takes in the US plug and has our Indian
round one at the other end, a few Rs. at any shop..

Old December 5th, 2003, 09:06 PM
david

You can buy a Universal adapter socket, fits all types of plugs ,and not
too expensive ,American British, European Far Eastern countries are
adaptable to it .

Old December 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Ken Tough

DALing daling43@[delete] wrote:

remember to switch the voltage (on the power supply) before you turn it on

These days, when a supply for an electronic item like a laptop says
"100V ~ 250V" it is what's called a "switch-mode" power supply and
does not need manual switching. If there aren't any obvious switches
on the supply for 110/220 conversion, don't sweat it. There is nothing
to be switched, just use it.

--
Ken Tough
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Anders

Aniket V. wrote:

OK,
I have the box saying "110V-240V" what do I buy next to get it working out there???

Nothing.

The standard 230 plug fits into the Indian outlet, OK, ther is half a mm
mismatch, but ALL my electrical stuff fitted right in the outlets, and
as you wrote, it's 11-240, and they have 230 system so it is OK.

/Anders

-Aniket-

"JMS" wrote in message ...
"Rohit" wrote in message
[...]

Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!