How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Rubber Ducky

Default How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich) - POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw) - RUSSIA
( St. Petersburg, Moscow) - INDIA (Delhi, Japiur) - CHINA (Bejing) - HONG
KONG - THAILAND (Bangkok) - AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) - NEW ZEALAND
(Auckland, Wellington) - FIJI (Suva) - PERU (Lima) - BRASIL (???) -
SOUTH AFRICA (???) - EGYPT (Cairo) - UK (Birmingham)

I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to delhi,
fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to melbourne, fly to
auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil fly to SA, fly to egypt
and then fly back to the UK.

I'm estimating about a 2 year round-trip, working as and when I need/want
to.

Can anyone give me a rough budget and also point me in the right direction
as to where there are savings to be made?

Thanks
David

(Apologies for cross-posting (again!))

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Rubber Ducky wrote:
[...]

train from lima to brasil, do they exist ?

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Rubber Ducky

wrote in message
ups.com...

Rubber Ducky wrote:
[...]

I'm hoping so :-/

Regards south america I have only started to pencil in my route for this.
Obviously I need to get from Fiji to somewhere in south america, at this
point in time i'm after opinions of the best route really.

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Mr Pirate Fun

$100,000 should take care of Flight, Rail, Car, Visas, Taxes, Medical,
Insurance, Sight Seeing, 2-3 Star Hotel, Entertainment, Food.

Its a guess.

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Rubber Ducky

"Mr Pirate Fun" wrote in message
oups.com...
$100,000 should take care of Flight, Rail, Car, Visas, Taxes, Medical,
Insurance, Sight Seeing, 2-3 Star Hotel, Entertainment, Food.

Its a guess.

I appreciate it's not going to be cheap but please read the post I specified
£ not $!!
Honestly some people!

....seriously i'm testing the water, if this trip can be made cheaper i.e.
substitute country A for country B then that's really what i'm after.

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Gregory Morrow

Rubber Ducky wrote:

[...]

No idea...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM
nightjar

[...]

How long is a piece of string? Two different people could spend hugely
different amounts on doing that trip. However, you might want to look at a
round the world air ticket. They are usually quite good bargains and allow
you to make lots of stops on the way. The main proviso is that you have to
keep moving in roughly the same direction, so you may need to visit Africa
on the way out, rather than on the way back.

Colin Bignell

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM

"Can anyone give me a rough budget"

US $3000 for flights (airtreks.com or trailfinders.co.uk are usually a
much better deal than Star Alliance or One World RTW tickets), and
another US $1000 for local transport. US $1000 for visas,
vaccinations, and insurance. If you are backpacking, your expenses
should range from US $15 per day to US $50 per day depending on where
you are. Those are absolute bottom figures, and you might prefer to
pay a few extra dollars to avoid roach-infested rooms and 14-hour bus
rides. There are some expensive things that you probably would want to
take advantage of, like the Inca Trail in Peru, adventure sports in New
Zealand, or a safari in South Africa. Overall I would estimate US
$10000 per year in addition to the US $5000 mentioned above for a total
of US $25000.

"and also point me in the right direction as to where there are savings
to be made?"

Spend a large fraction of your time in the least expensive countries
and regions - India, Southeast Asia, Peru/Bolivia, Eastern Europe, and
the Middle East. Also, spend more time exploring countries beyond just
the capital city and one or two major tourist destinations - they will
often be much cheaper off the beaten track.

"I'm estimating about a 2 year round trip, working as and when I
need/want to."

It can be very difficult for a Westerner to find work in developing
countries. It can be almost impossible to get a work visa or to find
anything even close to a Western salary. If you are running low on
cash, your best bet is to spend time working in Australia or New
Zealand, or to teach English in Japan/South Korea/Taiwan.

"I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to
delhi, fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to
melbourne, fly to auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil
fly to SA, fly to egypt and then fly back to the UK."

You'll need to take plane or bus or boat to go from Peru to Brazil.

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Richard

"Rubber Ducky" wrote in message

I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to delhi,
fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to melbourne, fly to
auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil fly to SA, fly to

egypt
and then fly back to the UK.

Look into 'round-the-world airfares and their terms and conditions.

Suppliment with flights on low-cost airlines like RyanAir, EasyJet and the
likes.

Explore the possibilties of traveling into/out of alternate cities (London
instead of B'ham, etc).

Learn to use websites like http://www.xe.com/ to alleviate clueless in the
event that someone quotes you a price in a currency other than GBP. Outside
of Europe not many people know how much a pound is worth.

Go to a bookstore or library and read some travel guides, they'll give you
an idea of how expensive various cities/countries are. They'll also give you
an idea on available forms of travel - hint, I'd be very surprised to learn
that there's a passenger train running between Peru and Brazil.

I'm estimating about a 2 year round-trip, working as and when I need/want
to.

Head down to London and seek out some Australians. There are tons of them
out there doing the whole round-the-world thing. Keep in mind that if you
want to work along the way, you'll either be working under the table for
next to nothing, or you'll need a visa.

Can anyone give me a rough budget and also point me in the right direction
as to where there are savings to be made?

The budget entirely depends on how extravagantly you spend your money.

In order to save:

Stay longer in fewer places.
Stay in youth hostels or rent an apartment, avoid hotels.
Don't go out drinking and clubbing.
Don't buy tacky souvenirs.
Do extensive research on your travel arrangements. Talk to several travel
agencies.

Richard