How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling in Europe?

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM
The Reids

Default How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling in Europe?

Following up to Jeffrey C. Dege

This subject always causes confusion, because there is a huge difference
between imposing gun control on a gun-oriented society such as the USA -
which I believe is futile - and not relaxing stringent gun control in, say,
the UK and Ireland. The situations are entirely different. How the UK should
deal with a worrying upsurge in gun crime isn't clear, but allowing all and
sundry access to weapons is unlikely to find favour.

The UK is _not_ a society that has traditionally had stringent gun control.

so you accept it can be achieved.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM
The Reids

Following up to Bill Bonde ( ``There's sunshine in my stomach'' )

today we have the worrying chance (certainty?) that they one day
will be used by a terrorist.

Imagine if the Nazis had first got nukes.

They did, if by nuke you mean the V1 or V2. It was a close thing.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:15 AM
The Reids

Following up to The Watcher

No, a ball and an oranges are similar (shape) but they have no
relationship
"the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or
people are connected, or the state of being connected: the
study will assess the relationship between unemployment and
political attitudes."

Ah, so BEING SIMILAR isn't a relationship, eh? Very interesting.

indeed not unless you want to go out of context. We are looking
for causal relationships, superficial similarities are
irrelevant.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:23 AM
The Reids

Default No, you cam in here fr an argument! was How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling

Following up to Charles Hawtrey

Free clue: check your old Monty Python tapes.

I know them off by heart.
Old June 29th, 2004, 10:28 AM
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

Cars. Design objective Getting from A to B. Sometimes owners
choose to use them for sport.

Guns Design object Killing. sometimes owners choose to use them
for sport (racing).

there is of course a typo there

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:31 AM
The Reids

Following up to Falcon

We have seen post after post seeking to play down the lethal nature of
firearms; the entire thread is worrying from that perspective. Training in
the use of firearms emphasises the potentially lethal consequences of using
one; in fact one of the first things drilled home is (or should be) the
basic rule that you should never point a weapon at anyone, unless you are
prepared to kill them. That's what the British Army taught me - and I doubt
that American military training was any different. They are not weapons
designed to wound, or "hurt" an opponent. They are designed to kill.

It seems to be a uniquely US view, hopefully not widespread. A
denial of the obvious.
If any non pro gunners are still reading, are there many
americans who don't share this view of "guns are not designed for
killing"?
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Gunner

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:15:24 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to The Watcher

No, a ball and an oranges are similar (shape) but they have no
relationship
"the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or
people are connected, or the state of being connected: the
study will assess the relationship between unemployment and
political attitudes."

Ah, so BEING SIMILAR isn't a relationship, eh? Very interesting.

indeed not unless you want to go out of context. We are looking
for causal relationships, superficial similarities are
irrelevant.

So only your definitions are valid? Interesting......

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell
Old June 29th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Gunner

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:31:54 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

[...]

The earth is flat. Its obvious and only the insane would think
otherwise.

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Gunner

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:15:15 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to pyotr filipivich

And your little problem remains that you are incapable of making a
moral distinction.

Don't try to talk down to me.

Talk down to you? How so. Its obvious that you are incapable of such.

Apparently, you see no difference between the person
intent on criminal violence and the person using "force" to defend
themselves from criminal violence.

I have never said anything like that. You are drawing unwarranted
conclusions based on your own prejudice rather than my postings.

Ah..no..your postings speak for themselves.

But hey, it is simpler to blame the inanimate object for what it causes
the human being to do, rather than accept the fact that some "people" do
need to be shot.

That is to read to much into what I insist on.
Read this example and tell me why I am not right.
Pro gun people like to draw parallels with cars, they are false
parallels but *heres* one that quite interesting.

Cars. Design objective Getting from A to B. Sometimes owners
choose to use them for sport.

True. Sometimes their owners choose to use them to kill also.

Guns Design object Killing. sometimes owners choose to use them
for sport (racing).

Half true.

Why from the point of view of the pro gun lobby, in the one case
of guns, does a subsidiary use alter the prime design motive?
Cars are primarily designed to get from A to B with sub designs
for sport.
Guns are primarily designed to kill with sub designs for sport or
whatever.

pro gun lobby? I rather think that no one here belongs to one.

I suggest that once again, your fantatiscsm is showing.

Old June 29th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Gunner

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:15:16 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Anubis

so the point of high calibre high power handguns is to make them
more deadly.

I agree. However I do not agree that the sole purpose of any gun is to
kill someone. Killing is an act, a gun is a thing. Guns do not fire
themselves. Guns do not point themselves at people.

I did not say sole use, rather prime design purpose. Please read
my post about cars/sport guns/sport.
I makes no difference that there is human intervention to the
very simple fact that guns are *designed* for killing. Humans may
of course choose not to do that. I think I have said this before.

Shrug..you are still wrong.