trekking in pakistan

Old March 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
alpine

Default trekking in pakistan

Biafo Glacier and Hispar glacier with total length of 126 km and
longest out side the polar region meet at the 17,000 feet Hispar pass.
This immense high way of ice and stones connects- the antique kingdoms
of Nagar in west and Ashkoli (little Tibet)in east. This route was
extensively used to connect silk route with Indian sub continent,
China and Tibet. Mr.H.W Tilman an English trekker claimed in 1937 that
he had seen the foot prints of yeti on the glacier. Glaciologists
after conducting tests on the snow lake confirmed that thickness of
snow is one mile. Here one can observe the rare species of animals in
abundance like snow leopards, Himalayan bears, ibex, markhores and
some time Marcopolo Sheeps

ITINERARY:
Day 01: Arrival Islamabad
Meeting upon arrival at Islamabad Air Port and transfer to centrally
air conditioned hotel Blue Sky. After bar b Q lunch in hotel we move
for sightseeing tour of twin cities of Rawalpindi and Islamabad, which
includes a visit to the Folk Heritage Museum, World biggest mosque The
Shah Faisal Mosque, Shakir Parian , Daman e koh for taking a bird eye
view of Islamabad. Passing by government buildings of the federal
capital we will stop at Jinnha Super Market to see most expensive
carpets from China, Iran, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakista, at
bargaining price. Our dinner will be in Afghan Restaurant in
traditional way. Evening return to hotel for overnight.
Day 02: Islamabad to Chilas
After an early breakfast at our hotel we depart for Chilas, driving on
the Karakoram Highway ( The Silk Road ) along the river Indus. Our
first stop will be at Taxila museum for one hour to see the world best
collection of Gandhara art . It is the same place from where Buddhism
spread to China, Japan, Korea and to Central Asia. We will stop for
lunch at Hotel Sarban in bustling city of Abbottabad. We will make
also make several photo stops en route e.g. at Shatial rock
inscriptions and
at other view points. On arrival at Chilas transfer to hotel Chillas
Inn for overnight.

Day 03: Chilas to Skardu
After breakfast at the hotel drive to Skardu, through world deepest
gorges of the river Indus . We will make a photo stop at point where
all the three highest mountain ranges of the world meet and than at
the foot of Nanga Parbat the ninth highest mountain in Himalayan
range. We will come across many villages enroute were people are
living in traditional way without getting influenced by modern
culture. Skardu is the capital town of Baltistan or little Tibet .
Satpara and Katchura lake are the main attractions of the area. In the
town one can visit Khorpocho Fort perched on a high cliff and antique
shops. At skardu our accommodation will be at the very interesting
Concodia motel, famous among trekkers and mountaineers for its calm
and quite location and excellent Chinese food.

Day 04: Skardu to Thongol
After breakfast at our hotel we will drive to the end of the jeep road
crossing the fertile and green valley of Shigar, famous for its fruit
orchards ,wooden temples and mosques. At Thongol our stay will be in
tents.

Day 05: Thongol to Qaiser Ground (5/7 hrs)
After breakfast at the campsite we shall start our trek and will reach
Askole, a legendary village on the way to K-2. This is the last
civilization some 500 years old and we buy goat and chicken to be
consumed during the trek.We will continue our walk up to Qaiser
ground,locally known as Shaghran. Packed lunch en route. Meals &
overnight in tents.

Day 06: Qaiser Ground to Namla (3/4 hrs)
After breakfast start trekking along Biafo Glacier. The first campsite
is Namla. Meals & overnight at campsite at 3400 meters above sea
level.

Day 07: Namla to Mungo (3/5 hrs)
Trekking in the heart of Biafo Glacier we will reach Mungo, where yak
herders from Askole live during the summer . It has beautiful green
grassy grounds . Altitude of campsite is 3650m above sea level.

Day 08: Mungo to Baintha (4/6 hrs)
Baintha is the local name for Ogre, this is an easy day walking on the
glacier. Hispar Pass can be viewed while walking. Baintha camp is at
4020m above sea level.

Day 09: Baintha to Napina (4/6 hrs)
Napina is a green campsite in an ablation valley with fresh water but
there are no bushes etc. On the way you may cross several small
crevasses. Campsite is at 4400m above sea level.

Day 10: Napina to Base of Hispar (4/5 hrs)
This a steady walk on snow covered ice. Today we shall rope up to
avoid the danger of snow bridged crevasses. Camp at 4780m above sea
level. You are on the edge of Snow Lake. This lake has depth of I mile
as per the latest research.

Day 11: Free day to explore Snow Lake
Day free at campsite for acclimatization. Optional walk to explore the
vast snow lake from where several treks lead to Shimshal. We may come
across the rare species of snow leopard here.

Day 12: Base Camp to Khanibasa (5/7 hrs)
Today we shall cross the Hispar Pass at 5151 m. At the beginning it is
an easy walk up to the top of pass. On the top there are several giant
crevasses. Descending to Khanibasa again requires you to be roped.
Camp at 4580m above sea level.

Day 13: Khanibasa to Yutmaru (5/6 hrs)
On the way you can see the view of the smooth white dome of Kanjut Sar
at 7760 m. The campsite is at 4330m on a flat, sheltered field in the
ablation valley with running water. Few bushes and wild flowers
surrounds the campsite.

Day 14: Yutmaru to red star camp (6/7 hrs)
We cross some ice walls and crevasses. Water is a long way from the
track so fill your bottles before leaving the campsite. Camp at 4150m.

Day 15: Red Star Camp to Dachigan (4/6 hrs)
This is a tiresome day of boulder hopping. Behind, you can see the
last views of Hispar Pass.

Day 16: Dachigan to Hispar Village (5/7 hrs)
This is an easy day of walking through pastures in the ablation valley
past willow and cedar shrubs. Crossing several deserted dwellings we
reach Hispar Village at 3250m. There is a guest house without kitchen
or toilet facilities.

Day 17: Hispar Village to Huru (5/6 hrs)
Again we will cross some small dwellings and reach at Huru at 2800m.

Day 18: Huru to Nagar/Hunza (4/6 hrs)
The jeep track come up to this place and our jeep will be waiting to
take us back to civilization. After breakfast we move in 4 by 4
powered jeeps and pass by famous village of Nagar and than drive to
Karimabad,the Capital of Hunza. On arrival transfer to hotel Hunza
View for overnight.

Day 19: Hunza to Gilgit
After breakfast we shall visit Baltit Fort museum and Altit Village.
These are the Palaces of Ruler of Hunza over 700 years old located on
the Silk Road connecting China with Europe. We will also enjoy the
overwhelming beauty of the surrounding mountains especially four peaks
above 7000 m including Rakaposhi and Ultar. After lunch we will move
to Gilgit via Silk Road or Karakoram Highway. We pass near the base
camp of Rakaposhi the 27 highest peak and the steepest place on earth
climbing .We will transfer to hotel Riveria located on the banks of
River Gilgit.

Day 20: Gilgit to Islamabad
After breakfast at the hotel we shall drive to Gilgit Air Port for a
Fokker Friendship flight to Islamabad. This is a most fascinating
flight when you take the view of the highest peaks of the earth in
such a concentrated form. The view of Nanga Parbat is superb
especially its successive ridges , elegantly adorned in thick coat of
ice and so far engulfed 48 mountaineers. We will also observe world
biggest earth filled dam Tarbella on river Indus on our right. This is
one hour flight and after arrival at Islamabad transfer to hotel
Shalimar

Day 21: Islamabad
This day is at leisure to explore the ancient city of Rawalpindi. Its
Raja Bazaar is the hub of business spread in dark and mysterious
lanes. Whole day is not enough to explore its Kalan Barar, Sarafa
Bazzar, Moti Bazzar, Barra Bazar , Saddar Bazzar etc. This day may
also be utilized in road journey from Gilgit to Islamabad in case of
flight cancellation due to inclement weather during month of June and
July.

Day 22: Departure
After breakfast at hotel transfer to airport for your onward
journey.Assistance at departure and Bon Voyage.End of services

RECOMMENDED EQUIPTMENT LIST.
Footwear: Well broken-in walking boots - these must be suitable for
snow, thick socks, light socks, camp shoes. Clothing: Down or fiber
filled waterproof jacket and trousers, sweater or fleece jacket,
underwear, warm and cotton trousers or jeans, shirts and T-shirts,
shorts, long underwear, wool hat, sun hat, gloves, bathing suit, track
suit.

Other equipment: Sleeping bag (4 seasons), trekking holdall or stash
sack with lock, day pack, water bottle, sun cream,
sunglasses,flashlight with spare bulbs and batteries, lip salve,
gaiters. Other items: Insect repellent, toilet articles, diary, toilet
roll,laundry soap, wet ones, pocket knife, tie cord, towel, sewing
kit, plasters, binoculars, camera, film, cards and personal medical
kit.

OUR SERVICES
Reception at the air port by our Company representative and assistance
in custom clearance . All transfers by air condition coach / jeeps.
All three meals during trekking and meals mentioned in itinerary.
Hotel stay on twin sharing basis . Provision of guide, porters and
cooks and their salaries and mountain equiptment, Sitting tent,
cooking tent, camp stools, camp tables, patromax lightning set, all
cooking wares and
crockery ,toilet napkins, Nylon rope. Domestic air passage Gilgit to
Islamabad..Free portage of 12.5 kgs of personnel baggage during
trekking

TREKKING

GRADE STRENUOUS
LAND COST US $ 858 P. P