Paris Ticket Scam

Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:02 AM
Joe Gradeless

Default Paris Ticket Scam

I've just got back from a great four-day break in Paris (first time).

However I thought I would warn people about a ticket scam which operates in
the Metro ticket hall at the Gard du Nord - but no reason not to assume it
doesn't work elsewhere.

I waited in a longish queue to buy a carnet of tickets for the metro (10
tickets for the price of 7 cost 10.50 Euro). I was approached by a man who
told me that there were ticket issuing machines available in another part of
the hall. I (foolishly) went with him. He bought me the tickets using his
credit card (although I have no doubt it was stolen) - he told me the
machine only accepted French cards. He then wanted the money for the tickets
(50.10 Euro). I realised I was the potential victim of a scam and told him I
only had a credit card (I must remember to confess my lie). He wasn't very
happy.

I rejoined the queue and noticed that there were 2 other (at least)
operating the same scam.

Jo

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM
jcoulter

"Joe Gradeless" wrote in
:

[...]

So why not use your card to get the tickets? even if it was a scam, the
perp showed you a better way.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Joe Gradeless

"jcoulter" wrote in message
"Joe Gradeless" wrote in
:

[...]

Sorry if the point was misunderstood. The machines in question were hidden
from my view (from the queue) behind a pillar. The scammer pointed them out
to me, took me over to them, and proceeded to 'buy' the tickets with his
card. He clearly expected me to pay him in cash (50.10 euros instead of
10.50 euros). He told me the machine only accepted French cards. Whilst I
might appear to be dumb, foolish, and naive at least I did not hand over any
money so the only loss was 5 minutes or less of my time. I decided not the
use the machines for two reason - a) the scammers were hovering around the
machines and I did not want to be involved in any further 'incident' and b)
I wanted to report the activity to the ticket clerk at the desk.

I hope that clarifies matters.

Jo

Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Joe Gradeless

"jcoulter" wrote in message
"Joe Gradeless" wrote in
:

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:33 PM
jcoulter

"Joe Gradeless" wrote in
:

Sorry if the point was misunderstood. The machines in question were
hidden from my view (from the queue) behind a pillar. The scammer
pointed them out to me, took me over to them, and proceeded to 'buy'
the tickets with his card. He clearly expected me to pay him in cash
(50.10 euros instead of 10.50 euros). He told me the machine only
accepted French cards. Whilst I might appear to be dumb, foolish, and
naive at least I did not hand over any money so the only loss was 5
minutes or less of my time. I decided not the use the machines for two
reason - a) the scammers were hovering around the machines and I did
not want to be involved in any further 'incident' and b) I wanted to
report the activity to the ticket clerk at the desk.

I hope that clarifies matters.

Jo

And I missed the 5x markup which was undoubtedly the point of the
excercise.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM

jcoulter wrote:
"Joe Gradeless" wrote in
:

Sorry if the point was misunderstood. The machines in question were
hidden from my view (from the queue) behind a pillar. The scammer
pointed them out to me, took me over to them, and proceeded to 'buy'
the tickets with his card. He clearly expected me to pay him in cash
(50.10 euros instead of 10.50 euros). He told me the machine only
accepted French cards. Whilst I might appear to be dumb, foolish, and
naive at least I did not hand over any money so the only loss was 5
minutes or less of my time. I decided not the use the machines for two
reason - a) the scammers were hovering around the machines and I did
not want to be involved in any further 'incident' and b) I wanted to
report the activity to the ticket clerk at the desk.

I hope that clarifies matters.

And I missed the 5x markup which was undoubtedly the point of the
excercise.

I'm always fascinated how capitalists are regarded as 'businessmen',
whilst scammers are regarded as crooks ... when in reality, they're both
just as twisted and dishonest.