Passport Renewal question

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:10 PM
koneko

Default Passport Renewal question

My mother has to renew her passport for an upcoming trip abroad.
However, she realized that her passport will expire shortly before the
trip begins. When ordering some tickets she was required to give her
passport number, for security reasons. I wanted to confirm that when
she renews her passport, her passport number does not change, right?
It will stay the same? It seems silly to change any passport number,
but I would rather double check!

Thank you in advance!
P.S. This passport is for a United States citizen.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
Miguel Cruz

koneko wrote:
My mother has to renew her passport for an upcoming trip abroad.
However, she realized that her passport will expire shortly before the
trip begins. When ordering some tickets she was required to give her
passport number, for security reasons. I wanted to confirm that when
she renews her passport, her passport number does not change, right?
It will stay the same? It seems silly to change any passport number,
but I would rather double check!

New passport = new number. Which airline were the tickets on?

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:21 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...
koneko wrote:
My mother has to renew her passport for an upcoming trip abroad.
However, she realized that her passport will expire shortly before the
trip begins. When ordering some tickets she was required to give her
passport number, for security reasons. I wanted to confirm that when
she renews her passport, her passport number does not change, right?
It will stay the same? It seems silly to change any passport number,
but I would rather double check!

New passport = new number. Which airline were the tickets on?

Good question. No airline usually asks the passport number.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
koneko

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Miguel Cruz

says...

Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:51 PM
koneko

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Miguel Cruz

says...
koneko wrote:
My mother has to renew her passport for an upcoming trip abroad.
However, she realized that her passport will expire shortly

before the
trip begins. When ordering some tickets she was required to give

her
passport number, for security reasons. I wanted to confirm that

when
she renews her passport, her passport number does not change,

right?
It will stay the same? It seems silly to change any passport

number,
but I would rather double check!

New passport = new number. Which airline were the tickets on?

Good question. No airline usually asks the passport number.

Sorry! Third attempt to get this up. I apologize!

The tickets are actually for a museum gallery. The tickets are
extremely hard to get, and in order to prevent scalping, all
overseas-tix must be bought through authorized travel agents. They ask
for name and passport number, which appear on the ticket itself, so
that tickets can't be bought in bulk, and the person has to show the
ticket and passport at time of the exhibit.

But now her passport number will change! I am a little worried. Do
you think if we xerox her old passport with the old number, they will
accept it? It will have the expiration date. I hope she can readjust
this... sigh.

Thank you for the info!!!

Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:25 PM
SoMeOnE

In article .com,
says...

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Miguel Cruz

says...
koneko wrote:
[...]

Very easily solved.
Purchase tickets as required, Obtain new passport. Carry old and new
passports at time of travel including requirement at Exhibition
Old January 23rd, 2005, 12:57 AM
Spehro Pefhany

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:25:29 +0800, the renowned SoMeOnE
wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Miguel Cruz

says...
koneko wrote:
[...]

Do they return unexpired US passports to the owner when a new one is
issued? Canadian ones that are still valid when a new one is issued
(typically the case for many of here, I imagine) are punched with
holes through the cover and returned.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
Bob Myers

"koneko" wrote in message
oups.com...
But now her passport number will change! I am a little worried. Do
you think if we xerox her old passport with the old number, they will
accept it? It will have the expiration date. I hope she can readjust
this... sigh.

Thank you for the info!!!

Hi, again, koneko, in a different thread!

Don't worry about the change - as has been mentioned by
others, you will still have her OLD passport to show along
with the new one, or if you don't want to carry both, just
make a copy of the photo and information page of the old
one before you go (it will show the expiration date, so it will
be clear why the current passport is different). But this
brings up another point - it is always a good idea to carry
copies of these pages from your CURRENT passports,
separate from the passports themselves - such copies will
be very helpful in obtaining replacement passports from the
local embassy or consulate, should your passport ever be
lost or stolen. Other copies you should have with you include
prescriptions (not only so that they can be refilled if needed,
but having the prescription itself or at least a letter from your
doctor listing the medications you have been prescribed will
be helpful should there be any questions about your medicines
when going through customs) and, of course, a list of the
numbers of your traveler's checks (so if THEY are lost or
stolen, you know what to report to the company that issued
them).

One trick I've been using recently - if you have a high-res
digital camera that will shoot clear close-ups, you can
photograph your documents in advance, and then carry
those photos on a small USB "memory stick" sort of
storage - they can quickly be printed out at practically any
hotel, internet cafe, etc., if needed, and you can easily
carry such a thing on your person (even around your neck
on a string!).

Bob M.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:07 AM
Miguel Cruz

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
SoMeOnE wrote:
Very easily solved.
Purchase tickets as required, Obtain new passport. Carry old and new
passports at time of travel including requirement at Exhibition

Do they return unexpired US passports to the owner when a new one is
issued? Canadian ones that are still valid when a new one is issued
(typically the case for many of here, I imagine) are punched with
holes through the cover and returned.

I've never renewed a passport after it had already expired, so I guess that
could be different, but I have always received my old US passport back with
a hole punched through the cover just as you describe.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu