Do african countries require Return ticket on arrival?

Old April 21st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Augustas Kligys

Default Do african countries require Return ticket on arrival?

Hi,

I have a flight ticket Germany--London--Ethiopia, and return ticket
is South Africa--London--Germany, after sevral months.

I am worried that in Germany or London the airport staff will require
me to have Return ticket from Ethiopia.

I heard a story, how one guy having Germany--Malawi and return
Tanzania--Germany ticket, had problems in Hamburg airport, because
airport employees didn't want let him to take the plane, claiming that
Malawi requires to have return ticket from Malawi (it cannot be from
other country). Finally that guy baught additional Malawi--Germany
ticket, and the airport staff let him pass.

Moreover, I checked the website of British Airways:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...t/public/en_dk
The table about Ethiopian Visa information:
http://www.ba.travel-guides.com/pass...ca&Country=eth
tells that RETURN ticket IS required.

Does it mean, that I may have problems having return ticket from
SouthAfrica?

Anyone had similar experience OR have some advices?

Thank you in advance,
Augustas
http://www.kligys.com/en
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
Miguel Cruz

Augustas Kligys wrote:
I have a flight ticket Germany--London--Ethiopia, and return ticket
is South Africa--London--Germany, after sevral months.

I am worried that in Germany or London the airport staff will require
me to have Return ticket from Ethiopia.

Does it mean, that I may have problems having return ticket from
SouthAfrica?

This probably isn't that helpful, but I've flown to Ghana and Morocco on
one-way tickets without so much as a raised eyebrow.

I think you're lucky to be going to Ethiopia first because South Africa does
have a bit of a reputation for being sticklers on this issue. Or at least
they used to.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Jim Ley

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:15:03 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

I think you're lucky to be going to Ethiopia first because South Africa does
have a bit of a reputation for being sticklers on this issue. Or at least
they used to.

Not a problem for me a year ago, nor for anyone I met, a number who
were leaving overland. I arrived with no outbound ticket at all, let
alone from one an obvious overland route away.

Jim.